Dexter Lawrence Signs Big Extension With G-Men

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

I remember seeing many posts in the mega thread proclaiming that the Jets held “aLl Of tHe leVeRaGe” and we’d be giving up no more than a 4th round pick LOL

Do the Jets not have financial leverage and control for the next 3 years if they want to play hardball? 

10 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Not resigning Q would instantly fracture JD and Salehs relationship and lose the locker room. 

I don’t have any idea about the first part but I think the second is spot on. 
The people here who love Sauce, Breece and GW have to know those guys are watching all this.

Then again, those fans will be saying we can’t afford to pay GW and Sauce in 3 years anyway, so no big deal I guess. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, doitny said:

and its going to cost alot of money to replace them except Lawson who we probably could get away with not replacing.

CJ makes a ton. i dont expect his replacement to cost as much but still wont be cheap.

Ruchuert and Kuntz are nothing until they prove they are something. im not penciling them in as 1 and 2. 

Davis and Tomlinson replacements should cost about the same. 

so were not saving all that much. and no 1st rd pick to help.

Lawson's replacement is already on the roster. Same for Davis - the WR group next year will probably be Wilson-Lazard-Hardman-2d Round Draft Pick; they won't need to be signing a WR2 in FA (though they might opt to take a swing at Pittman, Higgins, or Evans if they hit the market). Mosely will be cut or restructured; either way the replacement won't cost anywhere near what he does. Both Uzomah and Conklin will be on the last year of their deals, no need to replace them. Tomlinson will be on the last year of his deal.

57 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You do realize that they are completely different types of players? Lawrence isn't getting paid to sack the QB

Not sure where you’re going with this, but if it’s QW will want a lot more than Dex got, I agree with you.

(and QW)

The Jets' 2024 FAs will be:

WR Davis, Hardman, Mims, Cobb

OT Brown, Becton, Ogbuehi, Turner

G/C McGovern, Colon-Castillo

QB Boyle, Streveler

DE Lawson, Huff

DT Quinnen, Jefferson, Woods, Thomas

CB Hall

S Whitehead, Clark, Davis, Parks

ST Hardee

K Zuerlein

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The Jets' 2024 FAs will be:

WR Davis, Hardman, Mims, Cobb

OT Brown, Becton, Ogbuehi, Turner

G/C McGovern, Colon-Castillo

QB Boyle, Streveler

DE Lawson, Huff

DT Quinnen, Jefferson, Woods, Thomas

CB Hall

S Whitehead, Clark, Davis, Parks

ST Hardee

K Zuerlein

A lot of names, but not many who can’t be easily replaced. In fact the only one I’d be upset with losing is QW.

The reality is that C. Davis and Lawson's contracts were structured to keep them this year only in an emergency.  Like Fant's contract last year.  JD is supposed to drafting players to replace those expensive contracts.  But he either does not, or can't let go.  

He already restructured Mosely and Tomlinson to make them impossible to cut this year.  

We should be extending Quinnen and releasing those other guys if necessary.  

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This is likely the basis of with which Quinnen Williams next contract will look like. I’d expect triple digits for the contract and a higher guarantee for Q than this. 

Lawrence has been more durable & has played better than Quinnen... This contract will be the bar.

13 hours ago, choon328 said:

4yr $94 million

4yr $90 million

4yr $90 million

Those are the 3 DT contracts given out this offseason. I expect Williams to be right in the middle of those numbers

He’s going to want more

11 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

They're both very comparable. Both are interior defensive lineman from the 2019 NFL Draft. 

Dexter Lawrence is not asked to sack the QB, that's not his main role on that defense

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Not sure where you’re going with this, but if it’s QW will want a lot more than Dex got, I agree with you.

(and QW)

He should be right around Simmons deal. Very similar players.

13 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

Don't understand the reason for waiting on this. Maybe they're in talks or maybe they're negotiating for the sake of negotiating when everyone kind of knows what his contract should look like. It's ok to pay your best player especially if they're 25 years old.

It could also be very smart business by Q and his team. Let the market set the price for the two guys who are in his league, Simmons and Dexter. Then start really talking.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, varjet said:

The reality is that C. Davis and Lawson's contracts were structured to keep them this year only in an emergency.  Like Fant's contract last year.  JD is supposed to drafting players to replace those expensive contracts.  But he either does not, or can't let go.  

He already restructured Mosely and Tomlinson to make them impossible to cut this year.  

We should be extending Quinnen and releasing those other guys if necessary.  

No. The reality is that the market has moved explosively higher at both positions, making both Lawson and David relative bargains and cutting them unnecessary