Great read on Will McDonald from the Athletic

So excited for this year.

One thing I appreciate about JD’s draft approach, he’s big on buying low.

1. McDonald statistically went from double digit sacks 2 years in a row to 5 sacks after being asked to line up inside more.

What would have been the narrative if he put up 10-11 sacks 3 years in a row?

2. Carter Warren (NJ guy) could have easily been drafted on day 2 if not for an injury his final season.  

3. Kuntz was coming off a 70+ catch season before getting hurt his senior year after facing constant double teams.

—————————————-

Its a good approach .. something he also used in his pursuit of Rodgers.

Not sure if it will work out but if injuries fully heal and playing back at your best position means anything, then logic tells me we might be happy with the value we got.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So excited for this year.

One thing I appreciate about JD’s draft approach, he’s big on buying low.

1. McDonald statistically went from double digit sacks 2 years in a row to 5 sacks after being asked to line up inside more.

What would have been the narrative if he put up 10-11 sacks 3 years in a row?

2. Carter Warren (NJ guy) could have easily been drafted on day 2 if not for an injury his final season.  

3. Kuntz was coming off a 70+ catch season before getting hurt his senior year after facing constant double teams.

—————————————-

Its a good approach .. something he also used in his pursuit of Rodgers.

Not sure if it will work out but if injuries fully heal and playing back at your best position means anything, then logic tells me we might be happy with the value we got.

I like the MacDonald pick in a vacuum. He has a very good chance to be excellent. I still dislike the philosophy of passing on ALL the playmakers in the draft for a part time developmental edge rusher.

He did play inside this year and his production is great. Some profiles said he was specifically suited for Wide 9 so he is likely to be a very good fit.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love these kind of stories where a guy grew up poor, but worked hard and got rewarded for it.  Let's hope he can be a real force on our pass rush. We all complain- hed about our defense not creating turnovers last year.  Maybe this is the kind of guy we need to "burst pipes".  Hopefully Q, Huff and IV can change that this year.

Agreed, really inspirational story.

As for him as a player, I think its funny that they mentioned Von Miller in the story. Von is 6'3 250 and has multiple 10+ sacks seasons as an elite pass rusher.  McDonald, while old for a rookie at 24)  is 6'3 240 - even if he puts on 5 lbs through pro level development, he is essentially the same exact size as one of the best pass rushers in the last 10 years.  

I think it was an excellent pick in what just was a weird/weak first round in general

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1