Fireman Ed Talking About the 2023 New York Jets

Fireman Ed

Fireman Ed joins our NY Jets Podcast to talk about Aaron Rodgers and the amazing things happening to the 2023 New York Jets. Listen in as our hosts Dylan Tereman and Glenn Naughton look at the draft and get you up to speed on all the recent additions.

Special thank you to our sponsor, MILE Social, a digital marketing agency.

Our NY Jets Podcast can now be found on Spotify and Amazon Music. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Fireman Ed Talking About the 2023 New York Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Ugh 1

5 hours ago, JETS SB said:

I know Ed very well. He temporarily stopped doing the JETS chant in protest, when Mark Sanchez was destroyed by the fanbase and media. He felt that Mark deserved better after having two straight very good seasons, and got little credit for the run we went on. He wore a Sanchez jersey and fans would tear into him for his support of Mark. There were times when it got heated between him and Sanchez haters. 

He never stopped being a fan. He never stopped going to games. He is a great guy and great Jets fan. He just stopped doing the JETS chant at games for a little while.

Figures people here would hate on him too. Shocking.  

Nothing has torn this fanbase apart like support of failed QBs. It’s crazy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Who gets to grade these fandom exams?
Are they one time pass fail things, or do you need to maintain an average?        
Is there random testing or does some Grand Fan decide who should be queried and when?

All fun and games until someone “more pure” comes along and you go the way of Robespierre.

• Haha 2

I like Ed.  I like the chant, being a part of it live finally was one of the coolest moments in my sports life, literal chills. 

If Ed's here, ignore the haters mate.

I guess guys like @rangerous would also exclude me as a fan.  I'm cynical.  I don't live in NY.  Haven't gone to many home games.  Don't always like our players.  But I've watched every game but two over 35 years or so.

Worst of all I once or twice have thought about rooting for the DC NFC team on the side after living down here for 30+ years (more tempting now that Snyder is gone and the name was changed and hopefully changes again!). 

An unforgiveable sin!

I guess I'm out along with Ed. 

35,000 posts on JI, one of that site's most active users, and whatever number of posts here, all wasted.....

I am disqualified as a Jets Fan. 

Meh, :tears: :(

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I like Ed.  I like the chant, being a part of it live finally was one of the coolest moments in my sports life, literal chills. 

I guess guys like @rangerous would also exclude me as a fan.  I'm cynical.  I don't live in NY.  Haven't gone to many home games.  Don't always like our players.  But I've watched every game but two over 35 years or so.

Worst of all I once or twice have thought about rooting for the DC NFC team on the side after living down here for 30+ years (more tempting now that Snyder is gone and the name was changed and hopefully changes again!). 

An unforgiveable sin!

35,000 posts on JI, one of that site's most active users, and whatever number of posts here, all wasted.....

Hey, when you’re a jet you’re a jet all the way from yer first cigarette to your last dying day. Even in their worst years I was still a jets fan and rooted for them to win each game. Like you I thought about being a cowboys fan but they never had the same pull as the jets.  And, of course, it hurt plenty to see Pittsburgh and the doltfinsdominate the 70’s while the jets were mired in nothingness.  IMO ed left the team a few seasons ago and now wants to come back because now it looks like they have hope. Okay I don’t blame anyone for choosing not to watch a game on a nice fall day. TiVo and watch later. But ed was also pretty influential and his public disavowal of the team was hard to take. Especially since the jets did use him to shill for the west side stadium.  Anyway, fan is short for fanatic and we don’t have to make sense.

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Just more gatekeeping. One is allowed to like and even consider themselves a fan of something without making it a core tenant of their very existence.

The whole fan meter thing drives me crazy. I am not sure why people feel the need to do that. Who cares who the "biggest fan" is. I am the biggest fan, is @The Crusher the biggest fan? Depends on what we had for breakfast on weigh in morning.  :)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

Hey, when you’re a jet you’re a jet all the way from yer first cigarette to your last dying day. Even in their worst years I was still a jets fan and rooted for them to win each game. Like you I thought about being a cowboys fan but they never had the same pull as the jets.  And, of course, it hurt plenty to see Pittsburgh and the doltfinsdominate the 70’s while the jets were mired in nothingness.  IMO ed left the team a few seasons ago and now wants to come back because now it looks like they have hope. Okay I don’t blame anyone for choosing not to watch a game on a nice fall day. TiVo and watch later. But ed was also pretty influential and his public disavowal of the team was hard to take. Especially since the jets did use him to shill for the west side stadium.  Anyway, fan is short for fanatic and we don’t have to make sense.

I am so glad they stayed in NJ. But I get the appeal of the West Side Stadium. It would have been cool in many ways. Would also probably have been the end of my season ticket days.

I really don't know the story behind Ed promoting the stadium. He was a NY Firefighter so it makes sense to me why he would.

That said, the team has used Ed several times. When it is convenient for the Jets they come calling. We all know this.

My point with the people blasting Ed is, I have seen him do so much for so many people. He asks for nothing. I have never heard him say he is the biggest Jets fan there is. I really believe he doesn't care about that stuff.

The stadium is louder when Ed is leading the chant. And in 2023 that is going to matter a whole lot.  Meaningful Jets games are here, finally!

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

An unforgiveable sin!

From everyone’s perspective they’re “doing it the right way” because they are… for them.

If everyone applied their standards of fandom to others, we would all be a million little lonely islands of self-assessed purity.

Which would defeat the whole point of social entertainment.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

The whole fan meter thing drives me crazy. I am not sure why people feel the need to do that. Who cares who the "biggest fan" is. I am the biggest fan, is @The Crusher the biggest fan? Depends on what we had for breakfast on weigh in morning.  :)

Since the dawn of humanity, people have been trying to establish hierarchies that — unsurprisingly — operate according to criteria that place themselves at the top.

Basically, we are observing atavistic caveman grunting emanating from within the instinctual subconscious.

• Upvote 1

Cmon now are we really debating about who’s the biggest Jet fan. It’s not like the biggest argument of all time which was who’s was better, Mickey, Willie or the Duke 

And it was Willie. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Last time you and I got weighed in I believe your scale said 225 and mine said “ one at a time please!” So… yeah

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2023 at 10:27 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What’s his alias on JN?

Funny, he sounds surprisingly normal and reasonable here.

Jet and non-Jet fans I know assume he’s mentally deranged.

https://twitter.com/Willpa11/status/1614061105604616194

He doesn't post here as far as I know. Not sure if he is on here everyday or not now but back in the day he definitely was.

On 5/8/2023 at 1:39 PM, undertow said:

We may have sucked for 50 years but at least we lead the league in D-bag fans trying to become D list celebrities. 

I just hate that Fireman Ed is almost seen as our "official fan".  When we played in Denver in the AFC CG, CBS showed his face.   When AR8 talked about how hungry Jets fans are, he mentioned Fireman Ed. 

Why does one fan have to "represent" our fan base?!  And if there had to be one, how about Rich Eisen or Jim Nantz?  Why does it have to be a meathead like Fireman Ed?

EDIT:  Better yet, if we had to have an "official fan", let it be Maxman!

EDIT2: Even better, how about @Raideraholic!

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:41 PM, CSNY said:

Cmon now are we really debating about who’s the biggest Jet fan. It’s not like the biggest argument of all time which was who’s was better, Mickey, Willie or the Duke 

And it was Willie. 

One of the dumber things to compete over. Who has wasted the most mental energy cheering for futility.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just hate that Fireman Ed is almost seen as our "official fan".  When we played in Denver in the AFC CG, CBS showed his face.   When AR8 talked about how hungry Jets fans are, he mentioned Fireman Ed. 

Why does one fan have to "represent" our fan base?!  And if there was one, how about Rich Eisen or Jim Nantz?  Why does it have to be a meathead like Fireman Ed?

Agreed not really crazy about all of these fan or media member mascots....I mean can you name another team that does this?