Florio attacking Rodgers for not being a 100 percent participant at OTAs

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rodgers should be at all team activities from now till opening day.  Not sure why that would be a controversial take.  

With that said, we all knew he wouldn't be at everything when we started pursuing him, or we should have known, lol.

So.....nothing really new here.  Rodgers will skip some activities, and media get some free stories out of it, and some population of people will be unhappy about it, and then we'll get to the season and move on.

Just as expected.

I don't know.  I was kinda holding out hope he would show up for everything.  One thing in GB when he was far more familiar with the rosters and organization as a whole.  

Says all the right things - He wants to win, he loves it here, pinch me I'm so happy etc....But he can't make 10 voluntary practices?

It's not the end of the world - but, under the circumstances, I had hope.

• Upvote 1

In the end PERHAPS no big deal but if we hear one word of an excuse about not being familiar with receivers like was said last season in green bay it will be a flat out joke.  He needs to be throwing to guys not named cobb or lazard as much as possible.  The NFL and AFC east is no joke so you cannot afford to come out slow.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rodgers should be at all team activities from now till opening day.  Not sure why that would be a controversial take.  

With that said, we all knew he wouldn't be at everything when we started pursuing him, or we should have known, lol.

So.....nothing really new here.  Rodgers will skip some activities, and media get some free stories out of it, and some population of people will be unhappy about it, and then we'll get to the season and move on.

Just as expected.

In a perfect world players would spend as much time together as possible.  But given they arent able to run real practices plus the O stands for optional, its really not surprising that vets who have so little to do and learn at OTAs miss parts or most of them.  

Thats not the controversy though.  Its that Florio wasted so much time criticizing Rodgers.  Is he going to criticize the other 1,000 or so who wont attend every OTA?  No.  And there lies the rub.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

In a perfect world players would spend as much time together as possible.  But given they arent able to run real practices plus the O stands for optional, its really not surprising that vets who have so little to do and learn at OTAs miss parts or most of them.  

Thats not the controversy though.  Its that Florio wasted so much time criticizing Rodgers.  Is he going to criticize the other 1,000 or so who wont attend every OTA?  No.  And there lies the rub.  

I'm not looking for perfect.  In a reasonable world, all players under contract would attend all team activities.  

But I'll repeat, anyone who expected Rodgers to attend all off-season activities was deluding themselves.

This is part of having Rodgers.  He'll come when he wants, he won't if he won't.  All part of the package.

I am unconcerned by this.  He's not a rookie, he'll be fine opening day even if he skips a day or two in May.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

They aren’t practices. Don’t be this guy 

Look.  I'm not making it out to be a big deal.  It isn't.  Jets aren't going to win or lose games because Rodgers shows up to OTA's.

But at the same time - I would have liked for him to say I'm all in here, I want to win and II want to do everything I can to help and show up for all the OTA's.  

He didn't take that approach - that's all.

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know.  I was kinda holding out hope he would show up for everything.  One thing in GB when he was far more familiar with the rosters and organization as a whole.  

Says all the right things - He wants to win, he loves it here, pinch me I'm so happy etc....But he can't make 10 voluntary practices?

It's not the end of the world - but, under the circumstances, I had hope.

I like how you used the word organization instead of offense. Very nuanced. Yeah, he better have all  that organizational stuff before  the season. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In the end PERHAPS no big deal but if we hear one word of an excuse about not being familiar with receivers like was said last season in green bay it will be a flat out joke.  He needs to be throwing to guys not named cobb or lazard as much as possible.  The NFL and AFC east is no joke so you cannot afford to come out slow.

I would think he's looking forward to many connections with Wilson and Davis.  And Sauce torturing them in practice will be good too.  (Real torture, not Zach Wilson torture).

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He was throwing to two rookies as his WR1 and WR2 last year, and both guys were big-time projects. The guy he has to acclimate to here just won rookie of the year with the league’s 32nd ranked QB room throwing him the ball. 

And the WHOLE excuse as to why the packers got off to a terrible start was the unfamiliarity.

He has about two years left in his career, he loves lazard and cobb becasue as has been stated  'He and they know exactly what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be.

If you want to skip then skip but I don;t want to hear one 'oh he is getting used to his wrs' as a reason as to why we get off to a slow start if we do.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

And the WHOLE excuse as to why the packers got off to a terrible start was the unfamiliarity.

He has about two years left in his career, he loves lazard and cobb becasue as has been stated  'He and they know exactly what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be.

If you want to skip then skip but I don;t want to hear one 'oh he is getting used to his wrs' as a reason as to why we get off to a slow start if we do.

Yes sir, Officer Buckle. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Did they not work together during training camp? I don’t get that whole thing. They only get timing down in shorts during OTAs?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Favre showed up about 15 minutes before the 08 season started and won his first game with a ridiculous pass to Chansi Stuckey. And Rodgers is much better.

Testaverde was an afterthought and punchline going into 98.

This is what we're crying about?

Emphasis on... CHANSI. STUCKEY. 

• Haha 3

Y every time someone says something negative about the Jets there is a new thread open?  This is so dumb.  Just sticky a thread called “Negative Media” or something.  There a “Teddy Bruschi is negative” thread a few posts down.  Why r we talking about this crap?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Favre was traded to the Jets in august, missed OTAs and most of camp and until his injury had the team performing and in 1st place.  
As Tom said, Rodgers isn’t having to lead 2nd rate, rookie WRs, he’s got 2 WRs he’s completely comfortable with, a vet in Davis and one of the leagues best young WRs 

Did Florio mention that Cobb left for the Derby?  Is Rodgers there?  Oh no, I hope not.

I agree with Florio sorry but this guy has a 1 to 2 year window hasn't played with most these guys he needs to develop chemistry with Garrett Wilson, and the rest of the offense. He won't be playing in preseason so he needs to be working to get this team ready. They are going to have one toughest schedules.