SI: Inside the Six-Week Aaron Rodgers Trade Negotiation

Just now, The Crusher said:

A drowning man already has all the motivation he needs to save himself. 

A man facing his decision-year for his future employment with only Zach Wilson as a QB is indeed a drowning man.

JD's options were few, Carr was about it.  The other names were non-starters really.

So it was Carr or Rodgers.  Rodgers all but guarantees JD gets extended (likely Saleh as well).

And maybe even before they even start playing games this year.

So mission accomplished for JD.  Hopefully for winning games as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Great article, usually these things come out a year later or so - nice to get it so fresh like this.  Thanks for sharing...

This makes me feel like the Jets still paid far too much for a guy that ONLY wanted to play for the Jets and couldn't stay a Packer.

I know we've discussed this plenty around here - but this only supported  the case.  Seems like this is a situation where Woody should have stepped in and stopped his GM from just bending over.

Also interesting is it sounds like GB was willing to give some protection on Rodgers not playing in year two - and Joe decided on the 65% mark this year instead.  Not sure if that's better or worse, just an interesting choice.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

This is probably the most compelling line from the article

"But each guy knew how the other felt and knew the mutual discomfort was a sign that they’d reached a fair compromise."

One of many.

We didn't get 100% of we wanted and GB didn't either. The best negotiations is where neither party gets 100% of what they wanted.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not if you are one of the parties!

The art of negotiations. Find a middle ground. Each party has a starting point knowing full well they more than likely aren't getting everything they want/ask for.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

One of the most epic love stories in NFL history bloomed right before our eyes. A tear jerker of an article. Beautiful

If it ends in glory, this article gets framed on my office wall....and bedroom wall, and both my kids walls, and on my front door....you get it.

12 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I thought Woody was the fanboy in all this but the article paints a different picture...

That's one of the biggest rumors that has been dispelled here.  It was a narrative for many fans and SOJ clingers to recite that, "Woody wants Aaron Rodgers in order to sell tickets," and was the one pushing this.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's one of the biggest rumors that has been dispelled here.  It was a narrative for many fans and SOJ clingers to recite that, "Woody wants Aaron Rodgers in order to sell tickets."

Absolutely correct, a big takeaway is woody didn’t woody lol.

It’s interesting as well there was a lot of talk about the jets having the deadline hammer but JD apparently felt that Green Bay would be much harder to deal with after the draft if he tried to hardball them.  He also told woody that there was a benefit to getting Rodgers in the building before the draft so even if the price seemed a little high it was worth it. 

• Upvote 1

I’d normally not be happy that Woody got involved. But according to this piece, he held out on not including a hard, no conditions 1st round pick, which it sounds like Douglas would’ve done.

We’ll still end up giving a 1st to GB, but at least it has injury protection with the 65% of snaps played condition. 

• Upvote 2

so the way i read it is this:

it was either jets give 24 1st round pick and get a 2nd from the packers on 25 and no pick swap

or

24 1st round pick with Rodgers playing 65% and pick swap

wtf is going on???

the first offer is much better , why didnt the Jets took that? 

2 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

so the way i read it is this:

it was either jets give 24 1st round pick and get a 2nd from the packers on 25 and no pick swap

or

24 1st round pick with Rodgers playing 65% and pick swap

wtf is going on???

the first offer is much better , why didnt the Jets took that? 

It's negligible.  A second in 2025 is worth essentially a 4th today.  The pick swap in a weak 2023 class really wasn't that big of a deal, regardless of what the hand-wringers like to say.  Not much of a difference there.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's negligible.  A second in 2025 is worth essentially a 4th today.  The pick swap in a weak 2023 class really wasn't that big of a deal, regardless of what the hand-wringers like to say.  Not much of a difference there.

i dont get it

how much is a 2nd in 25 worth in 25? a 2nd round pick

and they are giving the first round pick anyway , the 65% is  a fake number to make it look like its a 2nd round pick

to be clear i dont care about the pick swap

the options was to give 24 first round pick and get 02 rounder in 25 or give a first in 24 with a fake condition to make woody happy and get nothing in  return 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

i dont get it

and they are giving the first round pick anyway , the 65% is  a fake number to make it look like its a 2nd round pick

the options was to give 24 first round pick and get 02 rounder in 25 or give a first in 24 with a fake condition to make woody happy and get nothing in  return 

Agree....if the writer got those details correct. Can't imagine why we wouldn't take that option (locked in 1st 2024, 2025 2nd in return) since the Jets want AR to play more than 65% of the snaps and he in all likelihood will.

I also didn't care about the pick swap. Always thought that, and one of our 2nd rounders this year, would be part of the deal.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Also interesting is it sounds like GB was willing to give some protection on Rodgers not playing in year two - and Joe decided on the 65% mark this year instead.  Not sure if that's better or worse, just an interesting choice.

My guess is that JD feels that if this season goes really well, Rodgers will be excited to come back for (at least) another year. And that if it doesn’t go really well, he’s not gonna care all that much about a second year. He’s betting on it working out. This is a young and hungry team excited about their new grizzled veteran at the helm. I’m sure they have expectations this season that far surpass yours. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

i dont get it

Give me a dollar today.  I will give it back to you in April 2025.

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Agree....if the writer got those details correct. Can't imagine why we wouldn't take that option (locked in 1st 2024, 2025 2nd in return) since the Jets want AR to play more than 65% of the snaps and he in all likelihood will.

I also didn't care about the pick swap. Always thought that, and one of our 2nd rounders this year, would be part of the deal.

I think the idea is that we could end up giving up a 1st even if the guy never even plays for us.  Yes we want him to play for us, but if he gets hurt or sucks we don't give up a first.  I think Woody puts a crazy emphasis on 1st rounders.  That is how we screwed ourselves in the Abraham deal, insisting on that first when it appears some of the offers might have been better but involved a 2nd plus.  I read it this morning, but I don't know that the offer with the conditional 2nd back did not also include 13 outright.  They said there were several choices. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Destroys your narrative about JD getting hosed by waiting or whatever silly headline you wrote actually.  

JD actually got pretty badly hosed.  

I think there are two things...

1. Was getting Rodgers for that price bad?  Not necessarily.  In the Jets situation, go for it.
  2. BUT - when you're bidding against yourself it was ridiculous to pay that much.  
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

A man facing his decision-year for his future employment with only Zach Wilson as a QB is indeed a drowning man.

JD's options were few, Carr was about it.  The other names were non-starters really.

So it was Carr or Rodgers.  Rodgers all but guarantees JD gets extended (likely Saleh as well).

And maybe even before they even start playing games this year.

So mission accomplished for JD.  Hopefully for winning games as well.

Instead of the story about how we got Aaron Rodgers, I would much prefer to hear the story of how we came to draft Zach Wilson.  Who stood on the table for him?  Was everyone on the same page for Zach?  Was anyone against getting Zach? Was there any other considerations?  Did Joe Douglas consider trading down a few spots, and still wind up with a QB?

Drafting Zach set the Jets back 3 years.  That is the story I'm more interested in knowing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe, but if that really was the two options on the table, I'd also have taken option #1 (2024 #1 non-conditional, and we get a 2025 #2, with no 2023 pick swap).

I agree with fusion25 on this, while the value chart may not say it's a meaningful difference in draft point values, and as a finance guy I definitely get the present/future value concept, but I still actually think it is a meaningful difference, given we'd have a future 2nd rounder banked for future, likely post-Rodgers, needs, and we're going to lose that #1 next year no matter what basically.  and we'd have stayed at #13 to boot, which might have changed that pick as well perhaps.

Not going to cry about it forever or anything, but personally, I'd have definitely taken that 2025 2nd every time and just acquiesced on the 2024 #1.  Just seems to clearly be the better deal of the two to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, varjet said:

I will defer to the draftniks, but I think was fairly likely that Lukas Van Ness would have been available at 15.  He was not even a full time starter and is pretty raw.   The pick swap was really for show/spite.  The Packers should have gotten some additional compensation another way, and/or the Jets should have called baloney and not done the swap.  I don’t believe they really wanted a 230 pound edge rusher as opposed to a potential franchise Left Tackle.   This year it won’t matter much, and maybe this year Macdonald makes more of a difference than Broderick Jones would have.  But NEXT YEAR that decision could come back to haunt them.

I said this before, but I really think that the Jets should be innovative in their use of Rodgers.  If they are very ahead, or very behind, but Wilson or Boyle in, and try to screw the Packers out of the first round draft pick, while also protecting Rodgers from injury.   Rodgers is not playing for stats here-he is playing for wins.   I would definitely use the relief pitcher/QB concept. 

the problem with this is that comebacks can happen very quickly. just play the game and don't get cute