What Will The Offense Look Like This Season ???

With Rodgers, Hackett and the offensive roster the Jets have, what kind of offense are we going to see ???  Yes, I know Hackett is a "west coast" guy, but that is a broad spectrum description.  Are we going to see more outside zone blocking ??? Will there be some man blocking too ??? Lots of motion and line shifts ??? Misdirection ??? What type of running game will we see ??? How will the backs be used ??? What type of passing routs are we going to see ??? Will it be mostly two flankers, a slot guy and a TE or will we see a lot of 4 wide outs ??? How will the TE's Be used ??? 

I don't think a ton will change. I'm no expert so can't get into details, but here's what I'm expecting. 

-Zone blocking will remain as the primary scheme. 

-West Coast short passing game to get the ball in the hands of guys who can make plays will remain as the primary scheme. Slants, in routes, drag routes, crosses, screens, hitches, etc. 

-TEs will be used more often. 

-The 'Big Slot' will be used more often. 

-The Jets will take more shots down the field. The Jets have wanted to take shots down the field and Zach was supposed to be able to give them that option but he was not able to do it successfully. I think Rodgers does a better job at it and we are able to do it more often to stretch the D.

-The Jets will run the ball - A LOT. I know Hall is coming off injury but my guess is the Jets carry x4 RBs and they run the HELL out of the ball with Carter, Izzy, Knight and eventually Breece (once he is ready). If they do so successfully it will take pressure off Rodgers, the receivers, the o-line (protecting Rodgers), the defense- who can rest, almost every aspect of the team.    

-Rodgers will be in control. In other words, I expect the coaching staff to give him a lot of free reign when it comes to offensive play-calling. Something very different than what we saw with Zach or MW.  

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Can you expand on that ???

Every time they step on the field we will look forward see the offense attack the defense as opposed to already thinking about what snack we will go make before the ball is snapped on third and  long. 

• Haha 1

What I read after they got Hackett is a traditional timing west coast offense with some old school K-gun and Hackett also likes jet sweeps.  NFL network last night discussed this and RPO was brought up too. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Every time they step on the field we will look forward see the offense attack the defense as opposed to already thinking about what snack we will go make before the ball is snapped on third and  long. 

i can barely imagine such luxury

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't think a ton will change. I'm no expert so can't get into details, but here's what I'm expecting. 

-Zone blocking will remain as the primary scheme. 

-West Coast short passing game to get the ball in the hands of guys who can make plays will remain as the primary scheme. Slants, in routes, drag routes, crosses, screens, hitches, etc. 

-TEs will be used more often. 

-The 'Big Slot' will be used more often. 

-The Jets will take more shots down the field. The Jets have wanted to take shots down the field and Zach was supposed to be able to give them that option but he was not able to do it successfully. I think Rodgers does a better job at it and we are able to do it more often to stretch the D.

-The Jets will run the ball - A LOT. I know Hall is coming off injury but my guess is the Jets carry x4 RBs and they run the HELL out of the ball with Carter, Izzy, Knight and eventually Breece (once he is ready). If they do so successfully it will take pressure off Rodgers, the receivers, the o-line (protecting Rodgers), the defense- who can rest, almost every aspect of the team.    

-Rodgers will be in control. In other words, I expect the coaching staff to give him a lot of free reign when it comes to offensive play-calling. Something very different than what we saw with Zach or MW.  

The running game is what I'm really pondering.  How are they going to "view" Rodgers.   I have a bit of a concern that he's going to be received as a wizard that can and will do everything.  I believe he still has a lot left and he is very motivated, but I am REALLY hoping that Hackett is smart enough to run a balanced offense and not one that needs Rodgers to be a hero all the time.  

I would expect a WCO with an emphasis on outside/inside zone run game.  There will be gap scheme runs (power, counter) but the base will be rooted in zone blocking. 

Passing game will have many of the traditional West Coast elements that many are familiar with, there will also be a lot of RPO for Arron off of the OZ runs as they had in GB.  His ability to check plays at the line and take number advantages with quick screens will be emphasized. I would expect them to mesh some of the Don Coryell version of the West Coast as well adding in some of the vertical passing game to take advantage of Aarons arm. Passing concepts around the league are all pretty similar, just different terminology and teaching all giving it a different flavor. I would say we'll see more drive concepts and some more shallows run than we did under Lafluer. 

I'll be interested to see formationally what we do and personnel wise.  In GB they were heavily a 11 personnel team (around 60%) will that be the same trend here or was that mainly because of GB's TE's?  Hard to say, but the way we have stockpiled TE's you would believe that we would see an uptick in the teams 12 personnel even though in GB it was mainly around 24% I think we may see more TE use, somewhere around 30% but a little less, meaning we see around 55% of 11 personnel so still the majority of the offense.  There will be a lot more big slot usage for the run game, and while there will be more motion than perhaps used under Lafluer i would assume it would be less than we saw under someone like Schotty. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I would expect a WCO with an emphasis on outside/inside zone run game.  There will be gap scheme runs (power, counter) but the base will be rooted in zone blocking. 

Passing game will have many of the traditional West Coast elements that many are familiar with, there will also be a lot of RPO for Arron off of the OZ runs as they had in GB.  His ability to check plays at the line and take number advantages with quick screens will be emphasized. I would expect them to mesh some of the Don Coryell version of the West Coast as well adding in some of the vertical passing game to take advantage of Aarons arm. Passing concepts around the league are all pretty similar, just different terminology and teaching all giving it a different flavor. I would say we'll see more drive concepts and some more shallows run than we did under Lafluer. 

I'll be interested to see formationally what we do and personnel wise.  In GB they were heavily a 11 personnel team (around 60%) will that be the same trend here or was that mainly because of GB's TE's?  Hard to say, but the way we have stockpiled TE's you would believe that we would see an uptick in the teams 12 personnel even though in GB it was mainly around 24% I think we may see more TE use, somewhere around 30% but a little less, meaning we see around 55% of 11 personnel so still the majority of the offense.  There will be a lot more big slot usage for the run game, and while there will be more motion than perhaps used under Lafluer i would assume it would be less than we saw under someone like Schotty. 

sounds good to me.  real good.  sing me up. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Overrated and elderly 

Why?

QB:  Rodgers is top 5 (best case) to top 10 (worst case) at the position.  My target is anywhere from #5-7

WR1:  G Wil is one of 4 wide receivers who won Offensive Rookie of the Year in the past 20 years.  The others had QBs who were exponentially better than the garbage we mostly had last year.  Harvin (Favre) .. OBJ (Eli) .. Chase (Burrow).  We're talking about a guy who can put up 100 rec / 1500 yards / 10 TDs

WR2:  Corey Davis should be fine if he stays healthy.  How can we fully evaluate him with the garbage he had at QB?  Him staying healthy is a legitimate concern.  His back-up would likely be the speedy playmaker Hardman ... could do a lot worse than a guy who was on track to score 12 total TDs mid-way through last year

WR3:  Lazard is an average #3 receiver ... very good in the red zone and an excellent blocker

TEs:  Average across the board.  Last time they had legitimate NFL QBs, they put up good numbers and helped their teams.  Ruckert's development will be important ..

RBs:  Need to hold the fort until Breece regains his form ...  If he does later in the year, this will be a huge boost down the stretch.  If not, this group will likely be as good as the OLine

OL:  Best depth I can remember from a Jets offensive line.  The goal is for the best 5 to play.  Lots of question marks but also lots of upsideAVT is a stud, Becton should at least be a beast in the run game, Brown will come back healthy from a bum shoulder, and Tippmann was the #1 Center off the board ..  Yes, Tomlinson was subpar last year and might be replaced if he doesn't step it up

• Upvote 1

Crystal ball is foggy.  If healthy, the Jets should have some legitimate weapons to score points.  Their depth at OL & TE gives them a little cushion there, compared to some other teams ..

Their upside will come down to the following.

1. New offensive coordinator for obvious reasons.  To start, how about playing match-up strengths vs. opponent weaknesses?

2. Is Aaron Rodgers closer to the guy who won back to back MVPs or the one coming off an injury plagued down year?

3. How much better will Garrett be in his second year?

4. Breece Hall's recovery ..

5. Davis, Becton, and Mitchell's health?

6. OLine gelling .. competition bringing out the best in everyone (looking at you Tomlinson)

7. Does anyone step up as a playmaker to help out Garrett and a healthy Breece?  Hardman, Lazard, the new RB from Pitt?

• Upvote 1

I think one thing we won’t see are wrs running into each other or having routes that allow two of them to be covered by one db. Rodgers will find the one on one match ups and complete passes.  I also think Hackett is adaptable to the players he has. GWilson is going to get his but there will be games where Lazard or Davis or even hardman put up better numbers.  And it’s all about tds. It’ll be interesting to see which receiver leads the team in tds.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Why?

QB:  Rodgers is top 5 (best case) to top 10 (worst case) at the position.  My target is anywhere from #5-7

WR1:  G Wil is one of 4 wide receivers who won Offensive Rookie of the Year in the past 20 years.  The others had QBs who were exponentially better than the garbage we mostly had last year.  Harvin (Favre) .. OBJ (Eli) .. Chase (Burrow).  We're talking about a guy who can put up 100 rec / 1500 yards / 10 TDs

WR2:  Corey Davis should be fine if he stays healthy.  How can we fully evaluate him with the garbage he had at QB?  Him staying healthy is a legitimate concern.  His back-up would likely be the speedy playmaker Hardman ... could do a lot worse than a guy who was on track to score 12 total TDs mid-way through last year

WR3:  Lazard is an average #3 receiver ... very good in the red zone and an excellent blocker

TEs:  Average across the board.  Last time they had legitimate NFL QBs, they put up good numbers and helped their teams.  Ruckert's development will be important ..

RBs:  Need to hold the fort until Breece regains his form ...  If he does later in the year, this will be a huge boost down the stretch.  If not, this group will likely be as good as the OLine

OL:  Best depth I can remember from a Jets offensive line.  The goal is for the best 5 to play.  Lots of question marks but also lots of upsideAVT is a stud, Becton should at least be a beast in the run game, Brown will come back healthy from a bum shoulder, and Tippmann was the #1 Center off the board ..  Yes, Tomlinson was subpar last year and might be replaced if he doesn't step it up

Aaron rodgers is ancient 

Hackett is terrible worse than MLF 

The oline we're not sure who's going to start at 3 of the 5 positions

And most importantly they are the Jets 

What are we even discussing around here? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Aaron rodgers is ancient 

Hackett is terrible worse than MLF 

The oline we're not sure who's going to start at 3 of the 5 positions

And most importantly they are the Jets 

What are we even discussing around here? 

I would have lead with they are the Jets.  

• Haha 1