How Allen Lazard and Corey Davis Offer Jets Offense big Play Opportunities

Corey Davis

Looking at a straight forward statistical comparison of Jets wide receivers Corey Davis and Allen Lazard based solely on production is akin to comparing the performance of two sports cars; one of which is riding a smooth stretch of highway while the other attempts to climb Mt. Everest in reverse.

Lazard, with one of the most accurate passers in the NFL in Aaron Rodgers, hauled in 62% of his targets last season whereas Davis came down with just 50% of his targets.  This should come as no surprise in looking at how often Rodgers puts the ball where he wants it versus Zach Wilson, Joe Flacco and Mike White throwing to Davis.

The number of times Davis would have to twist, contort or leap to make a catch was fairly impressive last season.

Corey Davis had a drop early on but made some very good catches from that point on. Takes a shot over the middle here while fully extended and hangs on. pic.twitter.com/EuZKdXuMMb

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) September 12, 2022

And while some may assume this was a product of Davis having issues holding on to the ball, his 3 drops last season would hardly be enough to skew the numbers so dramatically.  In looking at what each player did when passes were on target, Davis was the better player in multiple categories.  His 16.8 yards per catch topped Lazard’s 13.1 by a wide margin while his 98% 1st down rate beath the 75% posted by Lazard.

What does this tell us?  That while there is plenty of buzz surrounding the arrival of Lazard, the Jets may have a guy on the roster whose production could exceed that of Lazard if given the opportunity.

More importantly, the presence of two big-bodied physical receivers could present the Jets with a unique opportunity.  To field a pair of highly talented targets in Davis and Lazard who check in at 6′ 3” and 6′ 5” respectively, the chance to create mismatches in the middle of the field could give the Jets offense an added dimension in 2023.

It’s no secret that Garrett Wilson should be the team’s top receiver with limitless possibilities playing with Aaron Rodgers.  But when Davis lines up on the opposite side, moving Lazard to the slot could pay huge dividends.  And the big man is no stranger to lining up on the inside.

Over his past three seasons with the Packers, Lazard has played a total of 831 snaps in the slot.  Having Lazard running slants, seam routes or skinny posts against opposing linebackers, nickel corners or safeties could open up plenty of possibilities.

Aaron Jones touchdown, key block from WIDE RECEIVER Allen Lazard pic.twitter.com/rDqAnzuKeV

— Arif Hasan, but NFL ? (@ArifHasanNFL) December 24, 2019

Add to that the fact that both Davis and Lazard are more than capable blockers and it means the Jets running game could have a bit more room to work with this season.

With Breece Hall returning from injury and Israel Abanikanda joining the backfield, the Jets two home run threats at running back could flourish with a healthy offensive line and a pair of receivers who will block better than most.

Aaron Rodgers is the star of the show, but the Jets supporting cast is also worth talking about.

The post How Allen Lazard and Corey Davis Offer Jets Offense big Play Opportunities appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4

Have a feeling Davis stays healthy this year. It's a contract year for him. When it was his contract year in TEN after they didn't exercise his 5th year option and with Tannehill at QB. He played in 14 games (so almost a whole season) and had 65rec 984yds 5tds. And that's why we signed him. Because the tools have always been there with Davis. Health hasn't. And I am excited to see how he can help in the running game as well. Him and Lazard are 2 of the best blocking WRs in the NFL. And with big play guys like Hall and Hardman out there where we can get the ball to them in space with some outside blocks. Big plays will happen. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think Mims is a Longshot to make the roster. Especially if Charles or one of this year's UDFAs shows promise. Definitely bottom of the 9th for him.

I get wanting/expecting a young longshot or developmental WR to make the team.  OTOH, Charles seems like an odd choice for that role.  He is actually six months older than Mims.  I guess he will be under team control contract-wise for an extra couple of years, but I am not sure there is so much more to develop.  The thinking is probably that someone will get hurt and they will elevate a guy with special teams ability.  Alternatively, they are carrying Dionte Spencer who is 31, but can return.  He is the kind of guy that will last on the practice squad and get elevated as needed.

I think the general thinking is Rodgers will like some of these guys and not others.  Once he has his favorites they can think about moving somebody for picks.  More likely somebody gets hurt and they still get to carry one of the younger guys.  These are not drafted players.  It's not like there was a huge line waiting for most of these guys.  Maybe Brownlee got a decent UDFA deal. 

• Upvote 3

Lazard and Davis are similar in that they’re both big stiffs who are easy for DBs to run with and aren’t particularly good in contested catch situations. I thought this article was going to be about how good they are as run blockers and how that’d help Adanikanda and Hall break long runs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

And if Mims is on our roster for the season, our team has some big Wrs with insane blocking abilty providing Hackett can figure out how to get all 3 on the field in certain packages 

They can call it the “we aren’t throwing so stack the box” formation 

I think it also helps that they're all basically interchangeable in that they can line up anywhere and get open.  Plus, they're all willing blockers in the run game.  Corey made big plays w/ Zach and Flacco, it's fair to assume he could make a few more w/ Rodgers  He's a frustrating player but I'm of mind that Rodgers presence will help level up some of these dudes game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lazard and Davis are similar in that they’re both big stiffs who are easy for DBs to run with and aren’t particularly good in contested catch situations. I thought this article was going to be about how good they are as run blockers and how that’d help Adanikanda and Hall break long runs.

Mentioned that in the article.  Combo of a 6' 5'' dude in the slot and a pair of guys who block better than most WR's is something many teams won't have.

• Upvote 1

Man, Wr really seems like a big miss this offseason for JD. If anything happens to Wilson this offense is toast. They have no guy who has proven to be truly reliable. GW is no stone-hands but he dropped his fair share and Davis is pure pucker-factor anytime he’s near the ball. They had to do better than Davis, Lazard, Mims, and whoever else. Cobb. Ugh

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, the Claw said:

Man, Wr really seems like a big miss this offseason for JD. If anything happens to Wilson this offense is toast. They have no guy who has proven to be truly reliable. GW is no stone-hands but he dropped his fair share and Davis is pure pucker-factor anytime he’s near the ball. They had to do better than Davis, Lazard, Mims, and whoever else. Cobb. Ugh

OMG!  If we lose our #1 WR we won't be the best!  

Besides, there is still plenty of opportunity to add somebody.  After the draft last season, Arcega-Whiteside, Bryan Edwards, Laviska Shenault, Robbie Anderson, Jalen Reagor, Kadarius Toney, Chase Claypool and Calvin Ridley were moved.  I know what you're thinking - THOSE GUYS ALL SUCKED!  Sure, they kind of did, but Christian McCaffrey didn't and he got moved around the deadline too.  There has been some smoke around DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans this year and I don't think they suck.  They still might upgrade.  

I know nobody likes Davis, but I think the best QB that has thrown him the ball might be Ryan Tannehill.  Think he might improve with even a 2022 level Rodgers? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

OMG!  If we lose our #1 WR we won't be the best!  

Besides, there is still plenty of opportunity to add somebody.  After the draft last season, Arcega-Whiteside, Bryan Edwards, Laviska Shenault, Robbie Anderson, Jalen Reagor, Kadarius Toney, Chase Claypool and Calvin Ridley were moved.  I know what you're thinking - THOSE GUYS ALL SUCKED!  Sure, they kind of did, but Christian McCaffrey didn't and he got moved around the deadline too.  There has been some smoke around DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans this year and I don't think they suck.  They still might upgrade.  

I know nobody likes Davis, but I think the best QB that has thrown him the ball might be Ryan Tannehill.  Think he might improve with even a 2022 level Rodgers? 

They just gave up a lot of capital to get Rogers. I think they needed to get him a deeper wr room. That’s not some crazy thought. Wilson is skinny, spastic, and not afraid to stick his head in there. I hold my breath every time he gets thrown to. I know that the offseason isn’t over, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be disappointed so far. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JetNation said:

Corey Davis

Looking at a straight forward statistical comparison of Jets wide receivers Corey Davis and Allen Lazard based solely on production is akin to comparing the performance of two sports cars; one of which is riding a smooth stretch of highway while the other attempts to climb Mt. Everest in reverse.

Lazard, with one of the most accurate passers in the NFL in Aaron Rodgers, hauled in 62% of his targets last season whereas Davis came down with just 50% of his targets.  This should come as no surprise in looking at how often Rodgers puts the ball where he wants it versus Zach Wilson, Joe Flacco and Mike White throwing to Davis.

The number of times Davis would have to twist, contort or leap to make a catch was fairly impressive last season.

Corey Davis had a drop early on but made some very good catches from that point on. Takes a shot over the middle here while fully extended and hangs on. pic.twitter.com/EuZKdXuMMb

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) September 12, 2022

And while some may assume this was a product of Davis having issues holding on to the ball, his 3 drops last season would hardly be enough to skew the numbers so dramatically.  In looking at what each player did when passes were on target, Davis was the better player in multiple categories.  His 16.8 yards per catch topped Lazard’s 13.1 by a wide margin while his 98% 1st down rate beath the 75% posted by Lazard.

What does this tell us?  That while there is plenty of buzz surrounding the arrival of Lazard, the Jets may have a guy on the roster whose production could exceed that of Lazard if given the opportunity.

More importantly, the presence of two big-bodied physical receivers could present the Jets with a unique opportunity.  To field a pair of highly talented targets in Davis and Lazard who check in at 6′ 3” and 6′ 5” respectively, the chance to create mismatches in the middle of the field could give the Jets offense an added dimension in 2023.

It’s no secret that Garrett Wilson should be the team’s top receiver with limitless possibilities playing with Aaron Rodgers.  But when Davis lines up on the opposite side, moving Lazard to the slot could pay huge dividends.  And the big man is no stranger to lining up on the inside.

Over his past three seasons with the Packers, Lazard has played a total of 831 snaps in the slot.  Having Lazard running slants, seam routes or skinny posts against opposing linebackers, nickel corners or safeties could open up plenty of possibilities.

Aaron Jones touchdown, key block from WIDE RECEIVER Allen Lazard pic.twitter.com/rDqAnzuKeV

— Arif Hasan, but NFL ? (@ArifHasanNFL) December 24, 2019

Add to that the fact that both Davis and Lazard are more than capable blockers and it means the Jets running game could have a bit more room to work with this season.

With Breece Hall returning from injury and Israel Abanikanda joining the backfield, the Jets two home run threats at running back could flourish with a healthy offensive line and a pair of receivers who will block better than most.

Aaron Rodgers is the star of the show, but the Jets supporting cast is also worth talking about.

The post How Allen Lazard and Corey Davis Offer Jets Offense big Play Opportunities appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

My version of this would be as follows.

Aaron can actually hit these guys in the hands when they are open. Lazard will probably be the same here as he was in Green Bay but Corey Davis was opne on so may plays last year and never even got a look or was missed by 10 yards. I imagine they are both going to be factors extending drives by Rodgers mere presence. Giving G Wilson  a breather every could downs. 

On 5/10/2023 at 8:41 AM, T0mShane said:

Olave & London were studs last season. GW barely gets in to 50 but our Qb play was horrendous. Hoping for greater success for Lazard & GW.