What should the Jets ceiling be on Quinnen Williams' new deal?

Consensus seemed to be that QW's new deal should be slightly above the other DT's to sign at the top of the market this year which would put him right around $25 mil per.

However, as we saw with Revis and Asomugha, a top player might be looking to top the salary of an "outlier" contract given to one guy.  In this case, that would be Aaron Donald at $31 mil per year.  Worth noting that Quinnen was better than Donald last season.

If Quinnen is copying Revis here and demanding more than $31 mil per season, how should the Jets respond and what is the MAX you would shell out to keep him around?

• Upvote 1

I love Q, he’s critical to the defense, he’s a good guy, never in trouble, never does dumb things.  It would be great to show the other guys that if we draft you and you work hard and produce you get paid 

but (lol)

The jets control him for 2 years. 

The players gave up any meaningful threat of a holdout in the last CBA 

The Jets are 7 million under the cap. They need 8 million to sign the rookie pool according to an estimate by OTC 

Most teams try to have about 7-10 million on hand during the season to sign street free agents to backfill for injuries. 

The Jets need to find about 40 million for the QB. I have no idea how JD will do that. 

An extension for Q could actually provide cap relief this year, but if Rodgers is getting a massive ballon payment next year it really squeezes things, so his cap hit next year needs to be reasonable. 

I think the Jets will take their time if they don’t get a reasonable response from Q.  

I think this year they talk until camp and then one side will say they are breaking off negotiations for the season. 

Q has to decide if he is willing to play on a short deal with little protection for an injury and likely get tagged next year or accept less than he wants for long term protection.  

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, jbt said:

he is not better than Donald.  Should get between 25-27

Agreed. The ceiling is 27M per.

The man had 13 sacks last year as a DT. He hasn't had below 7 sacks since 2019 and his 2020 year was also exemplary in all phases. 

If Chris Jones was 25 and negotiating today, what would he get?

Chris Farley Wow GIF by Bleacher Report

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Consensus seemed to be that QW's new deal should be slightly above the other DT's to sign at the top of the market this year which would put him right around $25 mil per.

However, as we saw with Revis and Asomugha, a top player might be looking to top the salary of an "outlier" contract given to one guy.  In this case, that would be Aaron Donald at $31 mil per year.  Worth noting that Quinnen was better than Donald last season.

If Quinnen is copying Revis here and demanding more than $31 mil per season, how should the Jets respond and what is the MAX you would shell out to keep him around?

The real question is, was he better than Aaron Donald for the 2-3 years leading up to his massive contract? the answer is no. Williams is a good player. Aaron Donald is a generational talent. He does stuff/did stuff that you rarely see from that position. How many defensive tackles have won defensive MVP? He’s done it 3 times.  Williams should get a little bit more money than the other top-five guys but he shouldn’t come close to what Donald got. There really shouldn’t be a debate here, Donald is a 1 of 1 player.

the other guys are at 22-23 / per. He should be around 25 per. It’s not like he’s been elite for the entirety of his career either. Last year was the first time we saw him consistently dominate. We don’t even know if he can do it in back to back seasons.

• Upvote 2

Williams camp probably wants to break the $100 million value mark (for publicity purposes) while I'm

sure Douglas wants to keep it below that.  They'll probably split the difference and he ends up with

a contract value in the $95-99 million range

Cris Jones signed his contract at age 26 when the cap was 198.2M and made $20M per year. A comporable percent for today’s cap would $22.7M.

The value of DT has gone up since then though. It’s seen even more as a premium position.

Also, Q is better than Simmons who got 23.5.

I think a fair deal would be a 4 year extension for $100M with $50M gtd.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Williams camp probably wants to break the $100 million value mark (for publicity purposes) while I'm

sure Douglas wants to keep it below that.  They'll probably split the difference and he ends up with

a contract value in the $95-99 million range

With bonus, void, option year shenanigans and all the things these capologists can do with contract structure I'm pretty sure they could find a way to let Quinnen wave a $100M piece of paper in the air while still having a manageable deal with adequate protections.

There's something like 5 or 6 contracts out there with total values of one-quarter billion $.  Of course those are for quarterbacks but those teams still find a way under the Cap and aren't bankrupt.  Chris Jones' $80M deal is on the same team with Patrick Mahomes $450M deal. lol

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just pay the guy whatever it takes for him to be here while Rodgers is here. I couldn't care less what that number is. Our window is now and he's a key player in that.

I doubt having him play out his rookie deal and tagging is an option. Pay him.

I'll second the motion. 

Don't care. 

Get it done. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just pay the guy whatever it takes for him to be here while Rodgers is here. I couldn't care less what that number is. Our window is now and he's a key player in that.

100%.

Fortunately, JD is too smart to not see this. On the list of things I'm worrying about for this upcoming season, this one is not in the top 10.

• Upvote 1

I agree with what’s been posted here, $25-27M. Think he’s better than the guys who have signed, but Donald had been the best defensive player and arguably the most valuable non-QB in the league for a while. I think him kind of being in the middle there probably complicates negotiations.

That said, I don’t entirely get how they’re “not close”. The market’s pretty much been set at the position, this should be pretty easy, so seems like one side is being unreasonable or Cimini has bad info.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Larz said:

I love Q, he’s critical to the defense, he’s a good guy, never in trouble, never does dumb things.  It would be great to show the other guys that if we draft you and you work hard and produce you get paid 

but (lol)

The jets control him for 2 years. 

The players gave up any meaningful threat of a holdout in the last CBA 

The Jets are 7 million under the cap. They need 8 million to sign the rookie pool according to an estimate by OTC 

Most teams try to have about 7-10 million on hand during the season to sign street free agents to backfill for injuries. 

The Jets need to find about 40 million for the QB. I have no idea how JD will do that. 

An extension for Q could actually provide cap relief this year, but if Rodgers is getting a massive ballon payment next year it really squeezes things, so his cap hit next year needs to be reasonable. 

I think the Jets will take their time if they don’t get a reasonable response from Q.  

I think this year they talk until camp and then one side will say they are breaking off negotiations for the season. 

Q has to decide if he is willing to play on a short deal with little protection for an injury and likely get tagged next year or accept less than he wants for long term protection.  

Do you not remember the gun on the plane incident. Half the reason this board wanted him gone after 2 years. Most people willing to trade him for a 3rd rounder.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Do you not remember the gun on the plane incident. Half the reason this board wanted him gone after 2 years. Most people willing to trade him for a 3rd rounder.

No but these guys get robbed a lot so that never bothered me 

$27 seems likely to get it done, IMO.  He'll be clearly ahead of everyone else in the league, but a decent amount behind Donald - which makes sense at this point considering Quinnen's resume.  IMO he's obviously the 2nd best DT in the league and I think $27M reflects that.

As far as future cap ramifications, I'm not too concerned.  I think we'll have some room to get creative next offseason.  Could, in theory, move on from all or most of Tomlinson, Uzomah, Conklin, JFM, Lawson, Davis, Whitehead.  Potentially Brown and Mosley as well, depending on how they play in 2023/how desperate we are for cap space.  Oh, and Zach becomes tradeable next offseason as well.  

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll pay him 10-15% less than the top guys since he plays at least 10-15% less.

Come at me bros

The only two people who disagree with you are Q and his agent. Enjoy shadow boxing, though.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

If he wants the bag earlier he eases off from “highest paid DT” demand, if he’s demanding it, in the first place. Not convinced he is FYI.

Given the Rodgers contract situation and need to sign Wilson and Sauce in a few years, I wouldn’t be surprised if the deal is structured with a lot of funny money with the purpose of being restructured in 3 years. This will allow the Jets to resign Wilson and Gardner while further extending Q. It’s going to be a bizarre few years with cap magic. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets signed 4 of their draft picks already. The last 4 guys. The top 3 should have a cap number close to 4-5 million. Leaving around. 2-3 million. They will either cut or restructure Corey Davis. Carl Lawson is also a chance at a restructuring. They already cut ogbuehi today saving about 1 million. Many others might be cut at the bottom part of the roster to allow in some of the UDFAs for ST, who are already signed.  Aaron Rodgers is playing on a 1.2 million cap hit. The window is now. They won’t need the full 25 million against the cap for Q if they extend him this year. They will get it done. 

30 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Given the Rodgers contract situation and need to sign Wilson and Sauce in a few years, I wouldn’t be surprised if the deal is structured with a lot of funny money with the purpose of being restructured in 3 years. This will allow the Jets to resign Wilson and Gardner while further extending Q. It’s going to be a bizarre few years with cap magic. 

Yeah of course there will be funny money but I only care about the guarantees. Anything else is either a license to cut — or as you said — renegotiate.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah of course there will be funny money but I only care about the guarantees. Anything else is either a license to cut — or as you said — renegotiate.

Maybe modest guarantees with an increase when they rework the deal in a few years. Who knows. It’s a very interesting contract to wonder about, hence all the early discussion. 

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Omg GIF by WE tv

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

The Jets signed 4 of their draft picks already. The last 4 guys. The top 3 should have a cap number close to 4-5 million. Leaving around. 2-3 million. They will either cut or restructure Corey Davis. Carl Lawson is also a chance at a restructuring. They already cut ogbuehi today saving about 1 million. Many others might be cut at the bottom part of the roster to allow in some of the UDFAs for ST, who are already signed.  Aaron Rodgers is playing on a 1.2 million cap hit. The window is now. They won’t need the full 25 million against the cap for Q if they extend him this year. They will get it done. 

Ashtyn Davis might be the first one out the door saving about $3 mil

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You might think that, but if you look at the moves, this team is trying to go for it now, but they are also building to stay relevant post Rodgers. This contract needs to age well and work for q and for the jets.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

If he wants more than 31 mil he plays next year under his current contract then we tag him then say bye bye