If Zach Wilson works under Rodgers for a year and still looks like Zach Wilson

Do you consider using what will likely be pick 55 or later on a QB in the 2024 or wait until 2025 when you have a first that again, could be late 20's or...hopefully....32nd?

Edited by AFJF

8 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I think they try to get him looking good in preseason and a little mop up time and then move him next off season for whatever the can get for him.  

In either scenario, they need a QB to replace Rodgers.  Would you consider taking a guy in the late 50's with their first pick next season or wait until the 2025 draft and hope to get one in the 20's?

1 minute ago, undertow said:

You guys can just make pretend he's awesome like you did the first year and a half of his career.

This sounds like a very good idea.  Hopefully this is what the Jets are thinking.

Let's be real here, Wilson in practice and the pre-season will be going against
#2s and #3s.  As a third year player who has been a starter he should look 
significantly improved because he'll be going against backups.  If he doesn't
that will be a huge red flag

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think Zach's done, he has no value so there's no need to dump him and make everyone involved in selecting him 2OA look worse than they already do. He'll be gone in two years and we'll either draft another QB or go after another vet depending on what the rest of the roster is looking like at that point.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Let's be real here, Wilson in practice and the pre-season will be going against
#2s and #3s.  As a third year player who has been a starter he should look 
significantly improved because he'll be going against backups.  If he doesn't
that will be a huge red flag

I was talking more in terms of him getting live reps if and when the Jets have some games well under control in the 4th quarter and Zach gets some run.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If they are smart they are trading Zach this summer for a pick and bringing in a serviceable backup who is cut from another team. Zach makes no sense here. Are we going to pick up his 5th year option? Makes no financial sense 

You think a team would give up a pick for Zach?

50 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I was talking more in terms of him getting live reps if and when the Jets have some games well under control in the 4th quarter and Zach gets some run.

With the 65% playing condition on the 2024 pick, we can only hope Rodgers leads
us to a bunch of huge leads so Wilson can come in and mop up.  As far as the
pre-season is concerned I would expect Wilson to play as follows:

- In game 1 he'll play the first half (Rodgers won't play)
- In game 2 he'll play the 2nd & 3rd quarter (Rodgers will play the first quarter)
- In game 3 he'll play the second half (Rodgers will play the first half)
- In game 4 he'll play into the 3rd quarter (Rodgers won't play)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

- In game 2 he'll play the 2nd & 3rd quarter (Rodgers will play the first quarter)

The Jet are hoping they give up a 1st next year.

I just don't think there is any way they're even remotely thinking about those 65% - aside from being up 25 with 5 minute left Rodgers will be starting and finishing every game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

i never want to see Zach take another snap for us again.

and i really hate, hate HATE to say this but i think Zach will be our QB when Rodgers retires in one or two years.

they will think Rodgers had a great influence on him and as always Zach looks good in TC they will give him one last shot.

i know this means giving him the extension but if they really believe Rodgers made a difference on Zach it would be a small price to pay if Zach is a FQB.

if hes good thats great , we found our QB. if he sucks like i think he will then we will have a much higher draft pick to find his replacement then we will in 24 or 25 will Rodgers winning games for us.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Did preseason go back to 4 games? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jet are hoping they give up a 1st next year.

I just don't think there is any way they're even remotely thinking about those 65% - aside from being up 25 with 5 minute left Rodgers will be starting and finishing every game.

Yeah. 87% or something in that range would be possibly if they were blowing people out or if Aaron missed two games. 65%...if Rodgers plays under that someone call Houston because we have a problem.

• Upvote 1

If they determine he's irredeemable after this year, I would guess they look to trade him for a late round pick pennies on the dollar next off season. I would pray in that scenario we get another year of Rodgers in 2024.

It's more likely you use the 2024 2nd to continue to bolster the team so you can set yourself up to draft someone in 2025. You're not getting a franchise guy late in the 2nd.

They could also wisely trade their 2nd for future 2025 capital to position themselves to draft someone then. 

Edit: anyone know the cap ramifications of cutting/trading zach pre and post 6/1 next off season? Gotta imagine we can realize some cap saving since it will be his final year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

JD is going to turn Aaron Rodgers and Zach Wilson into Joe Montana and Steve Young. We're running the 2020's bitches.

Lol. You know zachenberg will look decent to good in practices and preseason. But once a real game starts he will steadily regress back to the scared player with consistent mishaps all over. 

• Upvote 1

Hendon Hooker was taken at the top of the third round.  Someone like him in the bottom of the second next year could be a good try.  

If the Jets can rehab Wilson enough to get someone to take Wilson next year, it would be cap neutral for the Jets and cash positive, plus whatever pick they got.  Trading him now is very cash positive but very cap negative. 

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Do you consider using what will likely be pick 55 or later on a QB in the 2024 or wait until 2025 when you have a first that again, could be late 20's or...hopefully....32nd?

Jets will face a large, dead cap hit for two consecutive years after Rodgers leaves.  Probably about $60MM, that they will likely spread over 2 years.  Zach's 5th year option will be based on his first 3 years performance.  Given the first 2 years, that option should be low.  Unless Rodgers is hurt, Wilson will not see the field.

If Zach takes over, after Rodgers, they will have a low cost QB for the 1st year of dead cap.  If he washes out, it is doubtful thay would have the resources to acquire an impact veteran.  It's Zach or we draft a QB.  Assuming the Jets are unsure about Zach, I would grab a QB as early as possible in the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

If they determine he's irredeemable after this year, I would guess they look to trade him for a late round pick pennies on the dollar next off season. I would pray in that scenario we get another year of Rodgers in 2024.

It's more likely you use the 2024 2nd to continue to bolster the team so you can set yourself up to draft someone in 2025. You're not getting a franchise guy late in the 2nd.

They could also wisely trade their 2nd for future 2025 capital to position themselves to draft someone then. 

Edit: anyone know the cap ramifications of cutting/trading zach pre and post 6/1 next off season? Gotta imagine we can realize some cap saving since it will be his final year. 

Looks like $11.2MM dead cap.  If after June 1, it should be spread over 2 years.