If Zach Wilson works under Rodgers for a year and still looks like Zach Wilson

both bridgewater and mike white are both significantly better than Zach Wilson
Good stuff. He still sucks and didn't win a single game starting for Miami. The Dolphins think they have a championship team and know they have an injury prone starting QB. They went ahead and showed Teddy Two Gloves the door anyway. There's a reason for that.
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Good stuff. He still sucks and didn't win a single game starting for Miami. The Dolphins think they have a championship team and know they have an injury prone starting QB. They went ahead and showed Teddy Two Gloves the door anyway. There's a reason for that.

It was just one game, but I thought he looked awful in their late season (Second to last week) loss in NE. 

• Sympathy 1

There will still most likely be other areas we'll need to address next year.  Safety seems like a safe bet regardless of how Adams performs this year.  We'll most likely be looking to replace Whitehead at the very least.  Add in LB which is another safe bet to still be a need, regardless of how these kids look(Mosley is getting up there and there's already a hole on the roster).  Potentially OT if Becton walks and/or Mitchell and Warren don't take that next step.  Potentially TE if none of these kids show promise.  Perhaps WR as well if no one behind Wilson are able to consistently make plays next season.  Add in DT behind Quinnen.

I think the smart play might be to hang onto Zach no matter what(unless he someone rebuilds his stock next season so much that a team comes calling offering a 2nd rounder) and then take a QB in the 3-5 round range.  Maybe a dude like Hartman from Notre Dame.  Only way I think I consider going QB with our first pick is if someone big drops, but even then we'd probably have to pull a Levis and trade up to the top of the 2nd.  It would depend on who ends up there, IMO.  

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

There will still most likely be other areas we'll need to address next year.  Safety seems like a safe bet regardless of how Adams performs this year.  We'll most likely be looking to replace Whitehead at the very least.  Add in LB which is another safe bet to still be a need, regardless of how these kids look(Mosley is getting up there and there's already a hole on the roster).  Potentially OT if Becton walks and/or Mitchell and Warren don't take that next step.  Potentially TE if none of these kids show promise.  Perhaps WR as well if no one behind Wilson are able to consistently make plays next season.  Add in DT behind Quinnen.

I think the smart play might be to hang onto Zach no matter what(unless he someone rebuilds his stock next season so much that a team comes calling offering a 2nd rounder) and then take a QB in the 3-5 round range.  Maybe a dude like Hartman from Notre Dame.  Only way I think I consider going QB with our first pick is if someone big drops, but even then we'd probably have to pull a Levis and trade up to the top of the 2nd.  It would depend on who ends up there, IMO.  

Wilson will likely get a shot this preseason to show if he can play in the league or not. I’m not convinced he’s going to be the backup, especially with him continuing to struggle in non padded practices. Rodgers getting banged up is possible and if Wilson still looks like a deer in headlights he can’t be the first guy out of the bullpen in a must win season.

• Upvote 1

Funny how so many people are wanting this kid to fail. We can't insert a rookie into the lineup after he leaves, so that's out. Wilson will be given one more chance if he shows in practice he has a handle of the offense and he keeps improving. He has way too much talent to discard because noone could develop him - especially Lafleur who never had done it before. We should put a lot of energy into making him ready in two years because the options won't have his potential. It's a win for us if he's the QB. If he shows he can't do it they will move on. If he is sharp and develops, he could still be the guy for 10 years. Arod sat several years, which in part made him into the QB he is today as he had way more time to develop.

• Haha 1

- Get Zach a ton of reps in camp

- Fluff his trade value as much as possible in Preseason

- Resign Rodgers to a new deal after the season

- Then spin the "we are trading Zach because Rodgers committed to X years, this isn't because Zach is bad"

I think this would net the highest possible return for Zach, whatever that may be.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wilson will likely get a shot this preseason to show if he can play in the league or not. I’m not convinced he’s going to be the backup, especially with him continuing to struggle in non padded practices. Rodgers getting banged up is possible and if Wilson still looks like a deer in headlights he can’t be the first guy out of the bullpen in a must win season.

Idk. I think I’d still rather see Wilson step in a run around and maybe pull something out his ass then Tim Boyle. Besides, I fully believe Rodgers would pull aside ZW if he pulled some NE crap and say, wtf are you doin, before it even escalates to disaster. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Funny how so many people are wanting this kid to fail. We can't insert a rookie into the lineup after he leaves, so that's out. Wilson will be given one more chance if he shows in practice he has a handle of the offense and he keeps improving. He has way too much talent to discard because noone could develop him - especially Lafleur who never had done it before. We should put a lot of energy into making him ready in two years because the options won't have his potential. It's a win for us if he's the QB. If he shows he can't do it they will move on. If he is sharp and develops, he could still be the guy for 10 years. Arod sat several years, which in part made him into the QB he is today as he had way more time to develop.

No one wanted him to fail. It just hasn’t worked. The Jets didn’t do enough to figure out if he could transition from the mountain west where he never got hit right into starting in the NFL. His commitment level was never where it needed to be either. I don’t think many realize how obsessed with football you need to be in order to be even passable as a starting QB. Wilson isn’t that guy. It’s not personal he’s just not guy who can lead a pro franchise. BYU is one of the more unique division 1 programs and that probably wasn’t looked at enough…especially him not being named captain there either.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach Wilson threw exactly 2 total touchdowns in the 5 wins last year.  In 3 of the games his QB rating was below 75 and he threw for less than 160 yards.  In the back to back wins against GB and Miami, he attempted less than 40 total passes over the 2 games.  

He was along for the ride, dude.  Stop with the revisionist history on this one.  

Last year Zach Wilson made me yearn for the days of Sam Darnold. That's a magnificent feat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Zach has $9.3 MM in cash due in total, for 2023 and 2024.  The cap hit is a little over $20MM and is not decreased if he is cut.  That is why he is still with the Jets.

They have 2 years to determine if they can turn Zach into their next QB.

They have a decision to make about a 5th year option but I see it as a no-brainer.  Some have discussed a $20MM+, 5th year option.  I do not see it.  He has a 4 year contract with a 5th year option.  My understanding is the 5th year option is based on a players first 3 years performance.  Since he was the worst QB in the game for 2 years and is unlikely to see the field this year, I would imagine his 5th year option would be as low as a QB option gets.

The cap in 2025 will probably get a $50+ MM dead cap hit, so affording a legitimate QB is unlikely.  The best chance this team has in 2025 is if Zach is ready to takeover and carries the lowest salary of any starting QB in the game not on a rookie contract.

2 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Zach has $9.3 MM in cash due in total, for 2023 and 2024.  The cap hit is a little over $20MM and is not decreased if he is cut.  That is why he is still with the Jets.

They have 2 years to determine if they can turn Zach into their next QB.

They have a decision to make about a 5th year option but I see it as a no-brainer.  Some have discussed a $20MM+, 5th year option.  I do not see it.  He has a 4 year contract with a 5th year option.  My understanding is the 5th year option is based on a players first 3 years performance.  Since he was the worst QB in the game for 2 years and is unlikely to see the field this year, I would imagine his 5th year option would be as low as a QB option gets.

The cap in 2025 will probably get a $50+ MM dead cap hit, so affording a legitimate QB is unlikely.  The best chance this team has in 2025 is if Zach is ready to takeover and carries the lowest salary of any starting QB in the game not on a rookie contract.

Zach needs to show something this year or they will eat year 4.

If they decide he can’t do it anytime this year they might pull the trigger on him.  

He’s got time.   We don’t know what the goal was of this practice.   I’m glad it was rough and he was working through progressions.  He needs to learn that.  If he does he will be great.   The rosey report from the last session made me doubt he had full responsibility yet.  

On 5/21/2023 at 3:43 PM, AFJF said:

Not having  a guy who can even manage a game for 2 quarters to hold a lead if needed is beyond wreckless.

Overall I do like JD but his total lack of consideration to the backup QB position has been a running trend for his entire tenure.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

copy that ... a 9 year veteran and a 7 year veteran are both better than a guy entering his 3rd year.

I see no way Wilson shows he's starting caliber. It's the equivalent for me of saying Clemons will be as good at DT as Q after this season. 
Time will tell .. you may be right ... You may be wrong

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Time will tell .. you may be right ... You may be wrong

It's something I hope I'm wrong about TBH. I just feel this ending in us not picking up his 5th year option after this season and likely just letting him walk after next season or even trading him for nothing next offseason and drafting a guy mid rounds next year. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

copy that ... a 9 year veteran and a 7 year veteran are both better than a guy entering his 3rd year.

I mean no disrespect because I think you are a good poster, but don't you realize how insane this reply is? 

Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are both entering year 4 - aren't they both still significantly better than Bridgewater or Mike White?

My dude, Zach Wilson was the number 2 overall pick in a loaded draft. The Jets did not pick him over guys like Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Parsons, etc., to wait until year 7 (or 9 or 10) to start evaluating him. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh expected Zach Wilson to be better than Mike White in year 1, let alone in years 2 and beyond. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I mean no disrespect because I think you are a good poster, but don't you realize how insane this reply is? 

Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are both entering year 4 - aren't they both still significantly better than Bridgewater or Mike White?

My dude, Zach Wilson was the number 2 overall pick in a loaded draft. The Jets did not pick him over guys like Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Parsons, etc., to wait until year 7 (or 9 or 10) to start evaluating him. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh expected Zach Wilson to be better than Mike White in year 1, let alone in years 2 and beyond. 

Unfortunately the owner and GM probably agree.  All Zach needs is Rodgers mentoring him

I'm not arguing that Zach played well ... I'm arguing the comparisons to Bridgewater and White (who struggled mightily last year we he got his op).

Zach has not lived up to being the No. 2 overall pick. By all accounts there were more problems than ZW last year (MLF... The offensive line).

Everyone knows ZW has untapped potential ... A lot of guys don't want to see the kid axed before he gets another shot with a new OC and better line play.

If he still looks like ass ... You cut him.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

I'm not arguing that Zach played well ... I'm arguing the comparisons to Bridgewater and White (who struggled mightily last year we he got his op).

Zach has not lived up to being the No. 2 overall pick. By all accounts there were more problems than ZW last year (MLF... The offensive line).

Everyone knows ZW has untapped potential ... A lot of guys don't want to see the kid axed before he gets another shot with a new OC and better line play.

Why does Zach have “untapped potential?”  

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Unfortunately the owner and GM probably agree.  All Zach needs is Rodgers mentoring him

The thing is, if Rodgers plays well, he will be here for two years, the Jets will not have seen the improvement from Zach in actual games that warrants them picking up his option, and he will likely be traded or cut.  

If Rodgers doesn't play well, the team will underperform and everyone will get fired. The new regime willl come in and clean house - starting with Zach. 

Basically, I don't see the scenario where Zach has a future here, unless you believe that Rodgers will get hurt and Zach will come in and suddenly play well. 

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Fine - what I'm saying is, when you are the number 2 overall pick and you are handed the staring job on a platter, it's fair to compare you to anyone and everyone. High accolades do not come without high expectations. 

If the Jets really believe in him and want him to get another shot with a new OC/offense while he learns watching Aaron Rodgers run the offense, fine. But, if you are Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh and you are making him the backup QB in a make or break year, you have to know that you are hitching your wagon to Zach being at least a competent starter in year 3. As Jets fans, we are all too familiar with the fact that backup QBs play often in the NFL - and if Zach has to play this year, you won't be able to hide behind "he's only in year 3" to save your job. It's time to ball or GTFO. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fine - what I'm saying is, when you are the number 2 overall pick and you are handed the staring job on a platter, it's fair to compare you to anyone and everyone. High accolades do not come without high expectations. 

If the Jets really believe in him and want him to get another shot with a new OC/offense while he learns watching Aaron Rodgers run the offense, fine. But, if you are Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh and you are making him the backup QB in a make or break year, you have to know that you are hitching your wagon to Zach being at least a competent starter in year 3. As Jets fans, we are all too familiar with the fact that backup QBs play often in the NFL - and if Zach has to play this year, you won't be able to hide behind "he's only in year 3" to save your job. It's time to ball or GTFO. 

I agree with all of this.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No one wanted him to fail. It just hasn’t worked. The Jets didn’t do enough to figure out if he could transition from the mountain west where he never got hit right into starting in the NFL. His commitment level was never where it needed to be either. I don’t think many realize how obsessed with football you need to be in order to be even passable as a starting QB. Wilson isn’t that guy. It’s not personal he’s just not guy who can lead a pro franchise. BYU is one of the more unique division 1 programs and that probably wasn’t looked at enough…especially him not being named captain there either.

By all accounts he loves football and is constantly studying and putting extra time in. I don't know where the narrative that he isn't dedicated enough started - it's been debunked by players and people following the team - even the coach.

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I can’t reply directly to the birthday boy Dunnie (since I have him blocked) but I will continue to post this inconvenient truth until ZW proves wrong all of us in the world who aren’t legally blind 

Fair point ... and id never argue against this ... One could argue is that in the past two Years the Jets were 3-9 without Zach at QB.  Let that sink in. (for what its worth 8-14 with him at the helm)

Edited by Dunnie