Advertising Free Forum Experience

On 5/14/2023 at 9:14 AM, Maxman said:

This is a good point. I have told this story before, but during the meeting at Rockefeller center I decided I wasnt going to let them ruin this site. I actually brought up ji before I left.

I hoped they would buy them. No way did I think it would be as bad as it was and put them under within two years. Crazy.

It was a massive karma crap sandwich that needed served up. I hope he washed it down with hot piss.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, billo83 said:

So we can hear how great Idzyk and Mangini were? You should be paying us for that 

The JN Premium Plan is $6.99 per month. JN Sapphire (which blocks me mutes me, and scrubs my posting history from the archives) is $499.99 per month. Shop wisely.

• Haha 3

On 5/14/2023 at 12:45 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Don't care about ads, subbed to support the site.

Im in Key West on vacation and THIS is how i feel. $70 for my annual venting is half the fee of an hourly therapist.

Remind me please, where are you now???  I was just in Cocoa Beach.  Will be in St Augustine end of week.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Im in Key West on vacation and THIS is how i feel. $70 for my annual venting is half the fee of an hourly therapist.

Remind me please, where are you now???  I was just in Cocoa Beach.  Will be in St Augustine end of week.  

Viera, just north of Melbourne. Working in Palm Bay now. 

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nice, didn't realize you settled in Viera.  I was in Melbourne when Viera was up and coming and a few friends of mine bought houses that were under construction.  Beautiful area.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Nice, didn't realize you settled in Viera.  I was in Melbourne when Viera was up and coming and a few friends of mine bought houses that were under construction.  Beautiful area.

College roommate, my best man lives in Melbourne.   Great location.  Love Florida but too old to relocate.  Love Charlotte NC.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2023 at 3:52 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Wait so maxman is not making any money from this website and all the traffic? Oh man crazy. You should def let it make you money. Ads are no big deal

These are two different things. The site has never been about money for us; this site has given me so much. But selling the site for a six-figure payout was offered by Scout. That would have been the end of the site for me, so I never considered it.

We do make money off of ads; the site is profitable as it stands today. We are offering people a way to support the site and get a faster browsing experience. We have had a lot of complaints about the ads over the years.

Full disclosure: I didn't do a ton of math on this, but I am assuming it would make more money on subscriptions vs the ad revenue that would be brought in for anyone opting out. Hope I typed that in a way that makes sense. So I should have probably worded this in a way that shows each ad free subscription is really supporting the site.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, extmenace said:

Was a registered user over at NYjetsfan.com in the early 2000’s. I had been mostly a lurker here until they went away. Im in a couple of Facebook groups and they aren’t nearly as good. Grew up using message boards. Respect for keeping the site up and providing, in my opinion, the best site jets site on the internet. Whatever you need to do to keep the site going is good with me. 

Thank you! When we started these were the forums in terms of posts:
1. jetsinsider

2. The Gang Green.com

3. NYetsFan.com - Ronnie Dynamic ran that site, I remember it well. At one point he tried to turn it into a MySpace kind of thing, not just about the Jets, but for every team. The idea was solid, that is basically what SB Nation became. You just need some serious resources to pull that off. I made an offer to buy NY Jets Fan.com back in the day. After Ronnie moved on, but the new guys said they didn't want to sell it.  It was a fun site though for sure. 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The JN Premium Plan is $6.99 per month. JN Sapphire (which blocks me mutes me, and scrubs my posting history from the archives) is $499.99 per month. Shop wisely.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is great.

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, Zachtomims47 said:

I saw this and thought, what ads? Then I thought..ad free?! Sweet! Let’s see what this is about…

And then I see this right after. Son of a.

887A8778-74D4-428B-A8D2-98686451CFFC.thumb.jpeg.d6dbb0061a7ae5aa6d31c3ecb6a9b44b.jpeg

You see the subscription is a bargain.

I am messing around but I have to say, I put myself in the No Ads group and damn it is nice. All of the real estate is condensed much easier to read, especially on mobile.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

These are two different things. The site has never been about money for us; this site has given me so much. But selling the site for a six-figure payout was offered by Scout. That would have been the end of the site for me, so I never considered it.

We do make money off of ads; the site is profitable as it stands today. We are offering people a way to support the site and get a faster browsing experience. We have had a lot of complaints about the ads over the years.

Full disclosure: I didn't do a ton of math on this, but I am assuming it would make more money on subscriptions vs the ad revenue that would be brought in for anyone opting out. Hope I typed that in a way that makes sense. So I should have probably worded this in a way that shows each ad free subscription is really supporting the site.

Thanks.

oh yeah selling it outright would suck. glad you opted not to, cause it would have for sure went to sh*t.

As a volunteer marketing enthusiast, I wanted to share a basic idea with you that might not be groundbreaking, but could spark some new thoughts and discussions. I understand that you have likely dedicated countless hours to brainstorming these concepts, so please consider this as a fresh perspective.

• Green Membership (Free Membership): The free membership tier could be named "Green Membership," representing the iconic green color associated with the New York Jets. It signifies the entry-level membership that grants basic access to all features of JetNation.com, including reading articles, accessing forums, and participating in discussions. Free members would have the ability to post on the forums and engage with other fans without any restrictions. (so basically nothing changes for them)
  • Front Office Membership (Premium Membership): elebrates fans who want to immerse themselves in the team's operations and stay ahead of the game. It provides valuable content and perks that deepen your connection with the New York Jets and enhance your overall fan experience.
    • Price: $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year (4.99 or 49.99)
    • recognition by cool avatar boarder image etc.
    • Premium members would access to exclusive articles or content like the video blogs, in-depth analysis, and behind-the-scenes content not available to free users.
    • Early Access: Premium members would receive early access to articles, news, and game previews, giving them a head start on the latest Jets updates. Say the game day break downs or commentary come our early access Monday rest of us get it wednesday
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Premium members would enjoy an ad-free browsing experience on JetNation.com, enhancing their overall user experience
    • Priority Support: Premium members would receive priority customer support, ensuring their inquiries and issues are addressed promptly.
  • Legends Club Membership (VIP Membership): Paying homage to the legendary players and iconic figures who have contributed to the rich history of the New York Jets. This top-tier membership offers unparalleled benefits, including personalized merchandise, VIP events offer the highest level of exclusivity and additional perks. 
    • Price: $19.99 per month or $199.99 per year
    • All Premium Membership Benefits: VIP members would enjoy all the benefits of the premium membership tier
    • Personalized Merchandise: VIP members would receive a personalized Jets merchandise item, such as a customized jersey, hat, signed memorabilia, as a sign of appreciation. (Think Jet nation game day drink koozie, hat or jersey)
    • Gett free entries into site raffles for game tickets, memorabilia etc. that is purchases with the membership funds.
    • VIP Events: VIP members would have the opportunity to attend exclusive events, JN tail gates, JN day at OTA etc., meet-and-greets with players, coaches, or JetNation.com contributors. priority selection of the fantasy drafts etc. 
    • By offering these paid tiers while maintaining the free membership option that allows posting on the forums, JetNation.com can provide value to both free and paid users, catering to fans with different levels of engagement and interest.

To ensure that nothing changes for free users, JetNation.com could simply add the new tiers as optional upgrades to the existing platform. Free users would still have access to all of the content and features they currently enjoy, while paid members would receive additional perks and benefits. JetNation.com could also offer a free trial period or a discounted rate for first-time subscribers to encourage them to try out the paid tiers.

I now see there is tiers now. so maybe all this is moot but I already wrote it so I am going to post it

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thank you! When we started these were the forums in terms of posts:
1. jetsinsider

2. The Gang Green.com

3. NYetsFan.com - Ronnie Dynamic ran that site, I remember it well. At one point he tried to turn it into a MySpace kind of thing, not just about the Jets, but for every team. The idea was solid, that is basically what SB Nation became. You just need some serious resources to pull that off. I made an offer to buy NY Jets Fan.com back in the day. After Ronnie moved on, but the new guys said they didn't want to sell it.  It was a fun site though for sure. 

Yea, I think s-dubb took it over. After that, site kind of fizzled and eventually just was gone one day. For some reason they added a chat box up top and to me, it just kind of took away from the post counts. I was one of the first 40 users there. Still randomly type that site in and have to hit back to type jetnation every now and again lol. I’m assuming some of the guys there are here now.

• Upvote 1

I just closed a thread because a two inch high ad kept blocking what I was trying to read. 
I love this place and all the people here are great, but this is out of control. What a downgrade this upgrade turned out to be…

EDIT I just noticed there’s a thread about an “ad free experience”. If I had known that a minute ago, I’d have posted this there rather than start this thread. That said, all these ads really do suck.

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I just closed a thread because a two inch high ad kept blocking what I was trying to read. 
I love this place and all the people here are great, but this is out of control. What a downgrade this upgrade turned out to be…

EDIT I just noticed there’s a thread about an “ad free experience”. If I had known that a minute ago, I’d have posted this there rather than start this thread. That said, all these ads really do suck.

There wasn't a single ad change made on the forums related to the upgrade. The ad code is exactly the same as it has been for years.

The ad network tells us to show more ads to members, they see considerably less ads than guests. But I have told them no every time.

We have no way to pay for hosting without ads. That's why we we created this other option for people who don't want to see ads.

Not going to pressure anybody into joining the subscription option but if the ads are bugging you it's pretty inexpensive.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Vader said:

Actually I accidentally touched an ad on my iPad while typing in another thread and somehow my response appeared in this thread instead 

Not sure how that happened but I have to say that would be genius. We didn't do anything like that but it would be pretty funny to redirect people here.

100% would not do that but it did make me chuckle.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

There wasn't a single ad change made on the forums related to the upgrade. The ad code is exactly the same as it has been for years.

The ad network tells us to show more ads to members, they see considerably less ads than guests. But I have told them no every time.

We have no way to pay for hosting without ads. That's why we we created this other option for people who don't want to see ads.

Not going to pressure anybody into joining the subscription option but if the ads are bugging you it's pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the reply Max. Now that I saw that thread explaining it, I feel happy we have that option.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Oh and this upgrade cost us an additional $229 per month so the only downgrade was to the JetNation bank account lol.

When we have thousands of people in the forums after Rodgers beats the Bills, the upgrade will be well worth it.

We would have crashed otherwise on a single server. Amazon Cloud it is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Not sure how that happened but I have to say that would be genius. We didn't do anything like that but it would be pretty funny to redirect people here.

100% would not do that but it did make me chuckle.

Maybe I got the ads attention by starting this thread? 😇