Peacock Becomes Home of First-Ever Exclusive Live Streamed NFL Playoff Game

How do we feel about this?

Peacock to Present Saturday Night NFL Wild Card Game on January 13, 2024 at 8:00 PM ET

Exclusive NFL Wild Card Game on Peacock to Immediately Follow NFL Wild Card Game on NBC & Peacock (Sat., Jan. 13 at 4:30 PM ET)

NBCUniversal to Become First Media Company to Present Three NFL Playoff Games in a Single Weekend (Wild Card Weekend in Jan. 2024)

Peacock to Present Its First Ever Exclusive NFL Regular Season Game on Dec. 23 (Bills at Chargers at 8:00 PM ET)

STAMFORD, Conn. – May 15, 2023 – Peacock will become the home to the first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL Playoff game, presenting an NFL Wild Card Playoff in primetime on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024, it was announced today by NBCUniversal and the NFL.

The Peacock exclusive Wild Card game will immediately follow a late afternoon NFL Wild Card Playoff game on NBC and Peacock (4:30 p.m. ET on Sat. Jan. 13).

"We are thrilled to partner with the NFL on this industry milestone, bringing to Peacock the first ever exclusively live streamed NFL Playoff game," said Pete Bevacqua, Chairman, NBC Sports. "With America's No. 1 primetime show for a record 12 consecutive years, the terrific regular season SNF schedule revealed last week, and today's announcement, we can't wait for the 2023 season to kick off."

"We are excited to work with a great partner in Peacock to present the first-ever exclusively live streamed NFL playoff game this upcoming season," said Hans Schroeder, NFL Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of NFL Media. "Expanding the digital distribution of NFL content while maintaining wide reach for our games continues to be a key priority for the League, and bringing the excitement of an NFL playoff game exclusively to Peacock's streaming platform is the next step in that strategy."

"As Peacock continues to grow, nothing says 'must-have' programming more than live NFL games," said Kelly Campbell, President, Peacock and Direct to Consumer, NBCUniversal. "With the first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL Playoff game and our first exclusive regular season game, plus the entire season of Sunday Night Football and Football Night in America, and the Peacock Sunday Night Football Final postgame show, fans can stream the best of the NFL on Peacock all season long."  

With the two Saturday NFL Wild Card games and a Sunday primetime NFL Wild Card game (on NBC and Peacock), NBCUniversal will be the first media company to present three NFL Playoff games in a single weekend (January 2024).

This season, Peacock will be the exclusive home of an NFL regular-season game for the first time, as Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills visit Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles Chargers in a primetime matchup of AFC playoff teams at 8:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, Dec. 23. The Peacock regular-season game immediately follows a special SNF Saturday afternoon game (Bengals vs. Steelers) at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock.

The Peacock exclusive Wild Card game and regular season game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the two competing team cities, and available on mobile devices with NFL+. The NFL is the only sports league that presents all regular-season and postseason games on free, over-the-air television in local markets.

Peacock will once again stream all NBC Sunday Night Football games, including the playoffs, and the Football Night in America studio show. The exclusive Peacock Sunday Night Football Final returns with expanded postgame coverage following SNF each week.

Peacock's expansive programming offers the most live sports of any direct-to-consumer streaming service in the United States, featuring live coverage including Sunday Night Football, Olympic Games, Premier League, Notre Dame Football, NASCAR, NTT IndyCar Series, Big Ten football (beginning in September), and much more.  Peacock also offers daily sports programming on the NBC Sports channel.

Such an idiotic concept. I'm sure NFL is getting a big pay day to make this happen, but ratings of any of these games will undoubtedly take a big hit.

Peacock will surely get some new subscribers out of this but you'll see even more people going with let's say "alternative" game streams.

• Upvote 4

this sentence makes no sense - wide reach and exclusivity are antonyms 

"Expanding the digital distribution of NFL content while maintaining wide reach for our games continues to be a key priority for the League, and bringing the excitement of an NFL playoff game exclusively to Peacock's streaming platform is the next step in that strategy."

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

this sentence makes no sense - wide reach and exclusivity are antonyms 

"Expanding the digital distribution of NFL content while maintaining wide reach for our games continues to be a key priority for the League, and bringing the excitement of an NFL playoff game exclusively to Peacock's streaming platform is the next step in that strategy."

"A wide reach to all of those who will pay more money... otherwise, screw you."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Just so everyone can calm down if the Jets are in this game, NBC will cover it in NYC metro area. The two host cities will simulcast 

Heard this as well. As part of the .gov antitrust agreement with the NFL, they would need to broadcast the game over the air (free) in the NY market

Amazon's Thursday Night broadcasts absolutely suck in terms of ability to record, time shift, move back and forth in program, etc. Vastly inferior to network capabilities. Concern that Peacock is more like Amazon than NBC despite common ownership.

• Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Amazon's Thursday Night broadcasts absolutely suck in terms of ability to record, time shift, move back and forth in program, etc. Vastly inferior to network capabilities. Concern that Peacock is more like Amazon than NBC despite common ownership.

The NFL does not want you to be able DVR a game.  They want you to buy Game Pass.

• Upvote 1

I know people love to complain about everything but I have to say I'm a little surprised on the generally negative reaction to this. Everything is moving towards streaming. People are moving away from cable/antenna to more modern streaming options. The NFL and other professional sports will continue to move this direction.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I am entirely opposed to this.

Two things should always be readily available to everyone:

1. Local games in their local market (with blackout rules for non-sellouts if required).

2. The Postseason.

Putting either of these outside an average persons reach via "exclusive" rights to streaming services that must be paid for, is, IMO, a mistake.

P.S. I already subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, HBO and I borrow my bros Paramount account.  And I keep my cable so I can watch local Nationals baseball games (not available to stream since I'm local, best as I can tell).  And now I have to subscribe to YouTube for Sunday Ticket.

At this point the cost is already close to basic cable for the various streaming services, plus I'm stuck with cable for now.  I don't need to be forced into any more limited-offering streaming deals.  Half the ones I got are literally for one thing only (Apple is for Ted Lasso, Paramount was for ST Picard, as examples).

The streaming world should have made life better as a consumer, but frankly it's just made it more complicated and confusing.  Try finding a specific movie you want to watch when you have 10 streaming services, lol.  Ooops, sorry, that film is only on Tubi.  Or Hulu.  Or BritBox.  Or get ****ed eat sh*t, /turns off tv.

/end old man shaking cane at cloud yelling "get off my lawn".

very frustrating to figure out where a movie is.

we have too many streaming services and if i was motivated I would get rid of the crap ones.  apple TV going to go soon.  Ted Lasso season ends and then I am gone.

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Local games in their local market (with blackout rules for non-sellouts if required).

2. The Postseason.

Putting either of these outside an average persons reach via "exclusive" rights to streaming services that must be paid for, is, IMO, a mistake.

P.S. I already subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, HBO and I borrow my bros Paramount account.  And I keep my cable so I can watch local Nationals baseball games (not available to stream since I'm local, best as I can tell).  And now I have to subscribe to YouTube for Sunday Ticket.

At this point the cost is already close to basic cable for the various streaming services, plus I'm stuck with cable for now.  I don't need to be forced into any more limited-offering streaming deals.  Half the ones I got are literally for one thing only (Apple is for Ted Lasso, Paramount was for ST Picard, as examples).

The streaming world should have made life better as a consumer, but frankly it's just made it more complicated and confusing.  Try finding a specific movie you want to watch when you have 10 streaming services, lol.  Ooops, sorry, that film is only on Tubi.  Or Hulu.  Or BritBox.  Or get ****ed eat sh*t, /turns off tv.

the streams are becoming the new cable bundle..

Whole lot of fist shaking in this thread.  Time to embrace the future folks.

Peacock has a free version.  I think it's likely the game will be made available on the free version.  This is a play to get people onboarded onto the platform and hope they like it and stick around.

Angry He Man GIF

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2. The Postseason.

You should start an online petition. That will show them!

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Peacock? ? **** that.  If it happens to affect a Jets game, I'll go to a bar. If it's just a random WC game, IDC enough to subscribe to yet ANOTHER streamer. 

lol - it's $5 for a month. Pretty sure you'll far exceed that tab at the bar. I used to hang out with the local firefighters, I know how y'all roll.