Peacock Becomes Home of First-Ever Exclusive Live Streamed NFL Playoff Game

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

lol - it's $5 for a month. Pretty sure you'll far exceed that tab at the bar. I used to hang out with the local firefighters, I know how y'all roll.

Amazon Prime

Fubo

Paramount

Disney+

Hulu

HBO Max

And about 8 others...

It ain't about the 5 Bucks.

• Upvote 2

Roger Goodell gets paid handsomely by the owners for taking the heat for their actions. Always makes me laugh when I see fans blaming him for owners actions. I believe he deserves every penny for taking the heat for actions he has no control over other than being the face of the owners. If fans dislike these types of things hit the owners where it hurts, but that will never happen. Fans are too connected mentally to their respective teams. Owners are laughing all the way to the bank while hanging Goodell out too swing in the wind over their business decisions.

I'm not objecting to the platform or to streaming. I do object to a lower quality product. Amazon NFL is the poorest quality NFL experience. If Peacock uses Amazon as its benchmark we are headed in the wrong direction. YouTube Sunday Ticket will be another litmus test.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know people love to complain about everything but I have to say I'm a little surprised on the generally negative reaction to this. Everything is moving towards streaming. People are moving away from cable/antenna to more modern streaming options. The NFL and other professional sports will continue to move this direction.

Streaming live events is stupid.  We have a superior product for watching tv cabled up to every house.  What a waste of infrastructure?  And for what?  It sure isn’t cheaper.  

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Streaming live events is stupid.  We have a superior product for watching tv cabled up to every house.  What a waste of infrastructure?  And for what?  It sure isn’t cheaper.  

You think Cable Companies with oligopolies charging exorbitant prices to their respective regions is a "superior product"?

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You think Cable Companies with oligopolies charging exorbitant prices to their respective regions is a "superior product"?

I’m not even close to boomer age.  I tried streaming everything that I would otherwise watch on tv.  It isn’t cheaper.  And, the quality is worse.  Even with the highest grade fios.  Tv over cable quality is far superior than any streaming service.  And yes, ill pay for the quality of an image.  

20 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

The last house I owned didn't have cable run to it. It was rural and the cable company wanted to charge over 25K to run the wire 2 miles up the road. The house I just had built has cable available at the road but I never bothered to have it run to the house.  So no, not every house has cable available - not even in this country. Now imagine less developed nations and how much easier it is to connect to a service like starlink without building out extensive infrastructure.

Cable is a thing of the past so far as I'm concerned. 

• Post of the Week 1

So @Barry McCockinner how many streaming services do you sub to, and what is it exactly you find so amazing about them?  You seem to be cheerleader #1/critic #1 against "old men" in this thread, so what's the big draw for you to having all the various individual streaming service accounts?  Legit curious what you find better?

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The last house I owned didn't have cable run to it. It was rural and the cable company wanted to charge over 25K to run the wire 2 miles up the road. The house I just had built has cable available at the road but I never bothered to have it run to the house.  So no, not every house has cable available - not even in this country. Now imagine less developed nations and how much easier it is to connect to a service like starlink without building out extensive infrastructure.

Cable is a thing of the past so far as I'm concerned. 

You must not be a videophile.  I lived 40 miles to a grocery store and we still had cable.  Better image quality there vs living in a city and streaming over fios gigabit service.  

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

I lived 40 miles to a grocery store and we still had cable.  Better image quality there vs living in a city and streaming over fios gigabit service.  

What does that have to do with the fact that not every house has cable? I legit had no cable available at my house in NYS for almost 10 years. I wasn't the only one.

You claimed every house has cable. False.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What does that have to do with the fact that not every house has cable? I legit had no cable available at my house in NYS for almost 10 years. I wasn't the only one.

You are cheap.  Its no cheaper to run broadband.  You just want someone else to subsidize it. 

You made your decision.  You care more about money than video quality. Some of us have different priorities.  

You probably stream music too ? 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So @Barry McCockinner how many streaming services do you sub to, and what is it exactly you find so amazing about them?  You seem to be cheerleader #1/critic #1 against "old men" in this thread, so what's the big draw for you to having all the various individual streaming service accounts?  Legit curious what you find better?

Not sure why the services I use matters. For one, I didn't even have the option of cable in my home for a long time without paying an massive fee to have it run, which I refused. I like the ability to choose what I have available and what I can watch on demand. I cancel services I don't use for large stretches and then re-subscribe when I want to use them again. You don't need a contract like you do for traditional cable service except for Prime which we only got for the quick delivery options and now enjoy the TNF games on it.

Looking forward to YTTV streaming Sunday ticket so I don't have to use a bootleg stream that dies 10x a game. Same goes for the wildcard playoff game on Peacock - I'll gladly pay $5 for one month. Looking forward to additional playoff games being available on streaming services.

I did the free trial for TTTV to watch the superbowl and thought it was an excellent experience. Zero issues, great picture, no waiting for loading.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

You are cheap.  Its no cheaper to run broadband.  You just want someone else to subsidize it. 

You made your decision.  You care more about money than video quality. Some of us have different priorities.  

You probably stream music too ? 

I am cheap because I didn't want to pay over 25K to have cable run to my house? ok.

of course I stream music. how great is it I get to stream all the music I want to hear, skip songs, no commercials for 5 bucks a month? blows columbia house away ?

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am cheap because I didn't want to pay over 25K to have cable run to my house? ok.

of course I stream music. how great is it I get to stream all the music I want to hear, skip songs, no commercials for 5 bucks a month? blows columbia house away ?

It costs just as much money to run broadband lines.  Its just that the company is paying for it.  

Either way, your ears must cry. Audio quality over streaming sucks.  

It just seems like you don’t really care about quality. You must not have very discerning senses. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

It costs just as much money to run broadband lines.  Its just that the company is paying for it.  

Either way, your ears must cry. Audio quality over streaming sucks.  

It just seems like you don’t really care about quality. You must not have very discerning senses. 

You don't need cable wires run to get high speed internet. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

To get 1 gig fiber optic level internet (the only way to go to get real quality) you do.  To get cheap, crappy internet, there are other options, and relatively soon they won’t be able to handle the increasing data that consumers use.  

6 hours ago, Barton said:

So I have to pay for another streaming company? If so, another reason to hate Goodell. 

This.  So now we have to have local broadcast channels.  Plus Prime Video.  Plus YouTube TV.  And now Peacock.  I guess he can still add games to Netflix, AppleTV and Hulu.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have gotten to the point that streaming and subscribing to individual platforms is more than dish...the days of cutting the cord to save money is over especially if you are a sports fan.  Thankfully I cut the cord early on so I got a decade of savings. lol

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not sure why the services I use matters.

It would matter if you only utilized 1 or 2 services.  The challenge of streaming vs. cable is managing 5+ streaming accounts vs. one cable account.  

For one, I didn't even have the option of cable in my home for a long time without paying an massive fee to have it run, which I refused.

Which, I would wager, puts you in a somewhat extreme minority in the United States.

I like the ability to choose what I have available and what I can watch on demand.

Understandable, the 100%-on-demand nature of streaming is clearly a huge benefit.  

I cancel services I don't use for large stretches and then re-subscribe when I want to use them again.

A fact which would also put you in a minority of Americans, as we are a population group very poor at closing inactive accounts in general, much less in a timely manner.

You don't need a contract like you do for traditional cable service except for Prime which we only got for the quick delivery options and now enjoy the TNF games on it.

Hmmm, a 1 year contract is only really an issue if you want to be month to month or day to day, with constant micromanagement cancellations/reups in between, again, not really a common way most Americans manage their TV entertainment, cable or streaming.

Looking forward to YTTV streaming Sunday ticket so I don't have to use a bootleg stream that dies 10x a game.

I am as well.  Sunday Ticket through Satellite was an issue for me because I couldn't get satellite at my home (trees) and had to utilize a student account (legitimately, I should note, I was an adult student at the time) to get access to it.  At least YT will be access-available to all who can pay.

With that said, I'd still rather it just be through cable, since I don't subscribe to YTTV, and YTTV will be my (thinks a second) 6th streaming service account, in addition to cable. 

Peacock (if needed for a Jets playoff game) would be #7, but I'd likely just go to a bar rather than sub for one game.

Again, sadly, there is no streaming option for my beloved Washington Nationals, so I'm stuck with cable.  

Same goes for the wildcard playoff game on Peacock - I'll gladly pay $5 for one month. Looking forward to additional playoff games being available on streaming services.

/shrug.  Again, you no having even access to cable I think puts you as an outlier here.  The alternative to streaming literally isn;t a real-world option due to extreme costs for you.

I did the free trial for TTTV to watch the superbowl and thought it was an excellent experience. Zero issues, great picture, no waiting for loading.

Aye, streaming quality is generally very good.  Not cable good (although I admit cable where I am is likely more reliable that cable in some podunk backwood someplace), but for the most part good enough.  Direct TV's streaming Ap was poop, but I'd presume a pro like YTTV will be materially more reliable.

Appreciate the reply, thank you!

If you have fiber, but if you have fiber you almost assuredly have cable too.

Surely you don't mean satellite internet, do you?  

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you have fiber, but if you have fiber you almost assuredly have cable too.

Surely you don't mean satellite internet, do you?  

At my current residence I could hook up to cable if I wanted. I choose not to since I got used to everything streaming and prefer it.

At my previous residence it would have cost over 25k to have cable/internet run to house so we used our 4G phones as wireless hotspots. Both of us worked from home and heavily use video conferencing. Mrs. McCockinner uses voip for work. Worked perfectly fine.

I've heard very good things about starlink but have never tried it myself. This is where it becomes much easier for streaming services to go after customers globally without requiring heavy infrastructure investments.

fwiw we use many streaming services (not just 1 or 2). It's just only a few at one particular time. IE: keep netflix for 4 months, cancel HBO max. keep paramount for 4 months, cancel peacock. I'd like to cancel disney+ permanently but that's a conversation for a different board.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

How do we feel about this?

Peacock to Present Saturday Night NFL Wild Card Game on January 13, 2024 at 8:00 PM ET

Exclusive NFL Wild Card Game on Peacock to Immediately Follow NFL Wild Card Game on NBC & Peacock (Sat., Jan. 13 at 4:30 PM ET)

NBCUniversal to Become First Media Company to Present Three NFL Playoff Games in a Single Weekend (Wild Card Weekend in Jan. 2024)

Peacock to Present Its First Ever Exclusive NFL Regular Season Game on Dec. 23 (Bills at Chargers at 8:00 PM ET)

STAMFORD, Conn. – May 15, 2023 – Peacock will become the home to the first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL Playoff game, presenting an NFL Wild Card Playoff in primetime on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024, it was announced today by NBCUniversal and the NFL.

The Peacock exclusive Wild Card game will immediately follow a late afternoon NFL Wild Card Playoff game on NBC and Peacock (4:30 p.m. ET on Sat. Jan. 13).

"We are thrilled to partner with the NFL on this industry milestone, bringing to Peacock the first ever exclusively live streamed NFL Playoff game," said Pete Bevacqua, Chairman, NBC Sports. "With America's No. 1 primetime show for a record 12 consecutive years, the terrific regular season SNF schedule revealed last week, and today's announcement, we can't wait for the 2023 season to kick off."

"We are excited to work with a great partner in Peacock to present the first-ever exclusively live streamed NFL playoff game this upcoming season," said Hans Schroeder, NFL Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of NFL Media. "Expanding the digital distribution of NFL content while maintaining wide reach for our games continues to be a key priority for the League, and bringing the excitement of an NFL playoff game exclusively to Peacock's streaming platform is the next step in that strategy."

"As Peacock continues to grow, nothing says 'must-have' programming more than live NFL games," said Kelly Campbell, President, Peacock and Direct to Consumer, NBCUniversal. "With the first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL Playoff game and our first exclusive regular season game, plus the entire season of Sunday Night Football and Football Night in America, and the Peacock Sunday Night Football Final postgame show, fans can stream the best of the NFL on Peacock all season long."  

With the two Saturday NFL Wild Card games and a Sunday primetime NFL Wild Card game (on NBC and Peacock), NBCUniversal will be the first media company to present three NFL Playoff games in a single weekend (January 2024).

This season, Peacock will be the exclusive home of an NFL regular-season game for the first time, as Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills visit Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles Chargers in a primetime matchup of AFC playoff teams at 8:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, Dec. 23. The Peacock regular-season game immediately follows a special SNF Saturday afternoon game (Bengals vs. Steelers) at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock.

The Peacock exclusive Wild Card game and regular season game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the two competing team cities, and available on mobile devices with NFL+. The NFL is the only sports league that presents all regular-season and postseason games on free, over-the-air television in local markets.

Peacock will once again stream all NBC Sunday Night Football games, including the playoffs, and the Football Night in America studio show. The exclusive Peacock Sunday Night Football Final returns with expanded postgame coverage following SNF each week.

Peacock's expansive programming offers the most live sports of any direct-to-consumer streaming service in the United States, featuring live coverage including Sunday Night Football, Olympic Games, Premier League, Notre Dame Football, NASCAR, NTT IndyCar Series, Big Ten football (beginning in September), and much more.  Peacock also offers daily sports programming on the NBC Sports channel.

Good for NBC, terrible for football. 

In the old days of TV you had the possibility of a casual fan channel surfing and coming across a game for them to watch. 

Now you are forcing it on to a application which will only be watched by fans and not casual TV watchers. 

I know if its not the Jets and I am not at a friends house, it won't be on. 

That simple. The ratings will be high for an game exclusive on an app but overall it will be one of the lowest viewed playoff games.

How did you get broadband internet?