I prevented a 5 star recruit from going to a major fb program

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

True but denmark is a very homogeneous country and they are not poor and have good social programs.

I like Germanys take where kids are tested in middle grades. The real thinkers advance deeper into academics while the rest follow a trade based curriculum. Smart and everbody wins

there are so many different models of education, and many of them are way better than what we are doing here.  Its a business here plain and simple, these standardized tests we do actually have no bearing on the kids in school.  We never see the results, we never make changes based on the results.  The only point is to have districts pay to take them.  Its all become about a bottom line and not about the students education. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Drums said:

Without getting political, those countries truly value education and it is part of their culture. As you said, they actually pay their teachers for their hard work and if you are not a teacher you probably don’t truly understand just how much hard work it takes with little to show for it. A true labor of love unfortunately and people are tired of it, leading to many great teachers leaving the field to do literally anything else because you could make more money in basically anything doing half the work and half the stress. 

Well that goes to the root issue here, as much as everyone likes to speak about how they value education, when push comes to shove there have been 0 changes to it despite all of the outcry.  So really, no one in actuallity cares about education, its just fun to talk like you do. 

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Oh, so you’re saying you think they should just let him do what he was born to do and play football despite his behavior as a senior. OK that’s fine I guess. Well, it seems like this kid is gonna wind up going after all because I can already hear rumblings that they were accommodating him somehow.

Not exactly. I just think teachers are a pretty limited resource and you guys shouldn’t have to deal with a situation we’re a kid simply doesn’t want to put the time in. If he wants to roll the dice, has the potential and wants to go take a shot to make a living playing football? who cares? Let him. 

Im sure there are plenty of kids that could benefit from you and your friends time that want to pursue a higher level of academia. Just seems like your time could be better utilized discussing how to help a child that wants to learn and respects  the process.  It’s sad to me the nonsense teachers have to put up with. That’s all. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2023 at 2:29 PM, derp said:

Think that’s enough to have this figured out. Thought I had it, didn’t think he was a 5*, but I see it on one service.

I think I got it as well...  

Is the kid in the OP a WR?  College is obv. the Florida Gators.

7 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Well that goes to the root issue here, as much as everyone likes to speak about how they value education, when push comes to shove there have been 0 changes to it despite all of the outcry.  So really, no one in actuallity cares about education, its just fun to talk like you do. 

I’m a teacher.. it is not fun talking about this. It pisses me off. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea its just awful man, I really cant emphasize enough how broken the system is and how far we're falling behind other countries on a global scale.  It's only going to keep getting worse.  I think people in other states have been seeing the consequences of it for a while its just finally manifesting up in the tristate area now.  It's not a quick fix either, no one wants to raise taxes to help pay for school budgets, especially in a recession.  Where does the money come to employ more teachers?  To pay for highly qualified teachers? The government refuses to step in like you said despite numerous speeches claiming they will do the contrary.  We'll see the effects of this time in about 10-12 years when a lot of positions in corporations will be outsourced to better educated individuals in other countries rather than local talent because they are so far behind. 

Yeah, we are definitely falling behind other countries, because I don't even think parents take education seriously here.  It's glorified daycare where they just want to be able to work or get some free time.  

I was talking to my son's pre-k teacher, and she was stunned he could read.  Told me none of the other kids in his class could read.  I was like "WTF?" internally.  I remember learning multiplication, a second language, and reading books in KG, and these kids can't put together words?  

My wife works HR, and she's like the level of people that are just flat out dumb is astounding, even with advanced degrees.  It's like the schools systems just pumped them out without teaching anything.  Since the company is international, she feels a ton of candidates work better from other countries because they actually know what they are doing, but can't say so because then it gets into discrimination.  

I don't even know how it gets fixed.  No one wants to pay more taxes or be involved in teaching kids.  

I moved from Nashville, but I still keep up on the news.  Recently, they had a major issue with 3rd grade students.  They have a standardized test at the end of 3rd grade, which solely determines their ability to move forward to the 4th grade.  60% of the kids failed (which sadly was advertised as an improvement over prior years) and parents freaking out.  So if you fail, you get a re-test, summer school, mandatory tutoring in 4th grade, or retention.  None of the parents care that these tests are showing widespread lack of reading comprehension in schools.  I've seen more people worried that summer school will screw up their vacation plans than the actual education part.  The one standardized test rule is dumb but they really need to clamp down on just promoting kids up no matter what as well.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Drums said:

I’m a teacher.. it is not fun talking about this. It pisses me off. 

I am too. Unfortunately this is our reality currently.  It's up to all of us to keep speaking up and telling everyone how it REALLY is not the sugar coated excuse laden version people get through the media. 

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, we are definitely falling behind other countries, because I don't even think parents take education seriously here.  It's glorified daycare where they just want to be able to work or get some free time.  

I was talking to my son's pre-k teacher, and she was stunned he could read.  Told me none of the other kids in his class could read.  I was like "WTF?" internally.  I remember learning multiplication, a second language, and reading books in KG, and these kids can't put together words?  

My wife works HR, and she's like the level of people that are just flat out dumb is astounding, even with advanced degrees.  It's like the schools systems just pumped them out without teaching anything.  Since the company is international, she feels a ton of candidates work better from other countries because they actually know what they are doing, but can't say so because then it gets into discrimination.  

I don't even know how it gets fixed.  No one wants to pay more taxes or be involved in teaching kids.  

I moved from Nashville, but I still keep up on the news.  Recently, they had a major issue with 3rd grade students.  They have a standardized test at the end of 3rd grade, which solely determines their ability to move forward to the 4th grade.  60% of the kids failed (which sadly was advertised as an improvement over prior years) and parents freaking out.  So if you fail, you get a re-test, summer school, mandatory tutoring in 4th grade, or retention.  None of the parents care that these tests are showing widespread lack of reading comprehension in schools.  I've seen more people worried that summer school will screw up their vacation plans than the actual education part.  The one standardized test rule is dumb but they really need to clamp down on just promoting kids up no matter what as well.  

Yea theres just so much wrong with all of this system that we cant hope to fix it overnight.  

I will say my GF works in HR as well and says similar.  It's crazy how people are getting pushed through the system now, happened alot during covid and its kind of just stuck now.   You'd be shocked when you look at the metrics from most schools in NJ (considered at minimum top 5 in the country in education)  MANY schools have their reading comprehension level around 45-65% similar statistics with math.  

these kids are not learning and while on the surface its so easy to blame a teacher for this, the problem is so out of our hands.  You simply cannot hold kids accountable to do their work anymore, and if they dont do their work, there are 0 consequences.  No learning is promoted, no learning is required. 

On 5/16/2023 at 5:20 PM, HighPitch said:

So imma keep this cryptic…

A 5 star recruit with a full ride to play fb at a major university.

Problem is he did not come to many classes. One class in particular is my buddies class. He has attended this class 25 times all year. Did 4 or 5 assignments maybe…. All copied.

Anyways this college is about to take their offer back unless his grades in this class change. He deserved all Fs, but he was asked to change them all to… get this: all Bs.

This man feels pressured and doesnt know what to do. I pretty much changed his mind saying it was absolutely unethical and that he could lose his license.

I felt bad for the kid until another teacher told me he was caught skipping and told the teacher “yea you dont know who I am….I do what I want” Then I found out that his dad played for a team that we all HATE. I mean HATE. The worst.

So I talked this teacher into NOT changing any grades and now he is going to lose his scholarship 

Derrick Rose had someone take his SATs for him and he’s worth about $500m. If this kid is talented enough he’ll find a way you can be sure about that 

How old are you in pre-K that you should be able to read?  I thought pre-K and kindergarten were to emphasize socialization.  My son is in kindergarten now and can read, but he sure as sh*t couldn't read going into pre-K.  Of course there is a pretty big swing in age.  My son was 3 through Christmas break.  I totally agree with the issues of accountability and forcing kid through the system, but I don't think I am going to feel bad that my kid wasn't reading much at 4 years old.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea theres just so much wrong with all of this system that we cant hope to fix it overnight.  

I will say my GF works in HR as well and says similar.  It's crazy how people are getting pushed through the system now, happened alot during covid and its kind of just stuck now.   You'd be shocked when you look at the metrics from most schools in NJ (considered at minimum top 5 in the country in education)  MANY schools have their reading comprehension level around 45-65% similar statistics with math.  

these kids are not learning and while on the surface its so easy to blame a teacher for this, the problem is so out of our hands.  You simply cannot hold kids accountable to do their work anymore, and if they dont do their work, there are 0 consequences.  No learning is promoted, no learning is required. 

My wife was an elementary school teacher and went into HR. Was a great decision!

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

My wife was an elementary school teacher and went into HR. Was a great decision!

yea similar story for my gf, she was in middleschool out of college teaching math science.  Left after 6 years, got her MB and got into HR for a hedgefund.  definitely a great decision for her, and by proxy now for me haha

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea similar story for my gf, she was in middleschool out of college teaching math science.  Left after 6 years, got her MB and got into HR for a hedgefund.  definitely a great decision for her, and by proxy now for me haha

Ditto lol. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yes teachers are actually the LEAST of the problem despite whats said.

had a mom just today looking to go to district to get my colleague in trouble. Her son is missing 12 assignments from the last 3 months and got an F in history. She raised holy hell because “nobody informed me”. Meanwhile any parent can check grades online at any time if they want to. But this is typical….. no no too much trouble for mom to go to a website once a week and keep track of HER kid. The teacher needs to be the one. Meanwhile this guy emailed the mom and student a dozen times but moms too busy to again go onnthe website. Then shenn be plays the iep card for extra time. Yea extra time is not unlimited time.

Im telling you 80% of the problem is parenting

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yeah, I honestly don't know how it's going to be fixed, without some major fundamental changes.  

I was talking to someone older about classrooms, and she mentioned something that I thought was true.  A lot of older generations saw teachers as partners in raising their child, the one responsible for teaching them in the right manner.  She said a lot of folks see teachers as a hinderance to their kid's objectives now, a gatekeeper of sorts that is holding them back.  

I blame parents the most, too many folks just don't put in the effort.  Going through it, I know it sucks, because I hate pretending like I care about Llama Llama after a real estate deal went south and I'm pissed at the world.  But it's an effort both of us take, and then we see other parents that have no interest at all.  

It screws up my future plans because I feel like we have to be more on top of things with kids so they actually learn.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yes teachers are actually the LEAST of the problem despite whats said.

had a mom just today looking to go to district to get my colleague in trouble. Her son is missing 12 assignments from the last 3 months and got an F in history. She raised holy hell because “nobody informed me”. Meanwhile any parent can check grades online at any time if they want to. But this is typical….. no no too much trouble for mom to go to a website once a week and keep track of HER kid. The teacher needs to be the one. Meanwhile this guy emailed the mom and student a dozen times but moms too busy to again go onnthe website. Then shenn be plays the iep card for extra time. Yea extra time is not unlimited time.

Im telling you 80% of the problem is parenting

If i had a nickel for the amount of times this exact scenario has played out in my district I could have retired 3 years in.  

Parents blame teachers so quickly for their child failing when in reality the teacher has reached out multiple times with no response and also sent countless emails to guidance (who may or may not have reached out themselves to alleviate the situation). 

The IEP and 504 conversation gets tricky.  There are 100000% students that require these services for learning disabilities, developmental delays, or support services.  However, it is getting a little out of hand.  In my school in particular over 47% of students have some type of 504/IEP.  the state average is 13% I believe.  They are creating accommodations for EVERYTHING. "the student gets anxiety taking tests, please allow for: extra time (which as you said is interpreted now as unlimited time), student can leave the class whenever they want etc."  Teachers are legitimately POWERLESS to do anything to educated students. 

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I honestly don't know how it's going to be fixed, without some major fundamental changes.  

I was talking to someone older about classrooms, and she mentioned something that I thought was true.  A lot of older generations saw teachers as partners in raising their child, the one responsible for teaching them in the right manner.  She said a lot of folks see teachers as a hinderance to their kid's objectives now, a gatekeeper of sorts that is holding them back.  

I blame parents the most, too many folks just don't put in the effort.  Going through it, I know it sucks, because I hate pretending like I care about Llama Llama after a real estate deal went south and I'm pissed at the world.  But it's an effort both of us take, and then we see other parents that have no interest at all.  

It screws up my future plans because I feel like we have to be more on top of things with kids so they actually learn.  

Yea absolutely, the less parents have gotten involved in their childs education the more blame they've placed on the teachers and schools which has led to a lot of the problems we see today.  It's a two way street, parents need to support the teachers ability to create accountability, and they need to support their own children in the learning process.   

It's going to be a long long road, and one that I am not sure I will be able to stick around for until we get there.  If it werent for my coaching job, I would be doing something else already. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:59 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea you need the degrees in order to make more money, but its incremental compared to what you pay and how much you get check to check.  My school is cutting teacher for budget cuts and looking at open positions, I don't know how anyone could afford this profession anymore.  Looking at other school districts, my salary with my time served and education in most districts is a 65-68k salary.  Thats after close to a decade in the profession too.  So it just goes to show you why everyone is leaving.   Hell my GF and I just bought a house in bergen county, no shot in hell i could afford it if it wasn't for her enormous salary.  Due to my salary restrictions ive been forced to rent a studio apartment for basically a decade to make sure I always had enough money. 

The system will collapse sooner or later.  Its unsustainable at the current rate. People are leaving the profession, less are getting into it (record lows for educational degrees in universities) and the number of children in the schools is growing creating more demand.  Only a matter of time before it breaks completely. 

It would be better to pay the teachers more and cut back on the retirement benefits.  So more of the pay is front loaded than back end 

On 5/27/2023 at 6:56 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea absolutely, the less parents have gotten involved in their childs education the more blame they've placed on the teachers and schools which has led to a lot of the problems we see today.  It's a two way street, parents need to support the teachers ability to create accountability, and they need to support their own children in the learning process.   

It's going to be a long long road, and one that I am not sure I will be able to stick around for until we get there.  If it werent for my coaching job, I would be doing something else already. 

Yeah, my plan is to quit real estate in 5 years, so go towards something else when I turn 40.  One of the paths I was considering was teaching, but that's pretty much out the window now.  Just not worth it, even though there were some great teachers along the way in my life.  I just don't think I would handle parents all that well.  

Teacher here that deals with stuff like this all the time. You didn't do anything. The student did it to himself. 

I cannot even begin to explain to you the amount of administration and funding that goes into making sure student-athletes at all levels are properly informed of everything they need to do with respect to eligibility. If it really was a major program, they have a whole department for it and he was likely assigned an advisor that met with him multiple times. He knew the stakes, the requirements, and the consequences. I can promise you that. Their decision not to follow it, not yours or your friend's.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, win4ever said:

hate the llama llama series and all of the other books like it that suck and are long and tedious. As you said, so much going on sometimes that the last thing I want to do is open one of those at the end of the night. Still, my wife is stubborn about both of us spending 30 minutes reading books with them (not to them) individually before they go to sleep at night, and that's on top of the homework we assign them through the week. Love her for it. My son turns 4 on Thursday and my daughter turns 3 in November; we live in a top rated and heavily demanded school district, and it's already paying dividends. 

45 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

hate the llama llama series and all of the other books like it that suck and are long and tedious. As you said, so much going on sometimes that the last thing I want to do is open one of those at the end of the night. Still, my wife is stubborn about both of us spending 30 minutes reading books with them (not to them) individually before they go to sleep at night, and that's on top of the homework we assign them through the week. Love her for it. My son turns 4 on Thursday and my daughter turns 3 in November; we live in a top rated and heavily demanded school district, and it's already paying dividends. 

For me it's the Pout Pout Fish books right now, ha. But can't stress enough how much this is going to pay off on the back end. The difference between late teens/early twenties students whose parents sat them in front of screens for 3-6 hours per day and what you're doing is very noticeable. Critical thinking, cognition, even the ability to handle anxiety and stress. Really brutal to see on a daily basis. Keep it up it's worth it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For me it's the Pout Pout Fish books right now, ha. But can't stress enough how much this is going to pay off on the back end. The difference between late teens/early twenties students whose parents sat them in front of screens for 3-6 hours per day and what you're doing is very noticeable. Critical thinking, cognition, even the ability to handle anxiety and stress. Really brutal to see on a daily basis. Keep it up it's worth it.

Blub blub bluuuuubbbbb.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I hate a bunch of these books, and he has a small library full of them.  I keep wondering, where is Dada llama?  Is this a single parent situation? Is Dada llama dead or is he paying child support? What happened to dada llama?  

Yeah, we end up trying to do things with him together as much as possible.  We've recently gotten to math, trying to teach him to be better at addition and subtraction.  Our solution? Lego blocks.  Apparently he's a visual learner for math, so if we use lego blocks, he picks it up really quickly.  So I just bought 300 pieces of Lego, RIP to my foot.  

Yeah, my wife was very big on reading from the start (I'll be honest, I wasn't lol) but it's really helped him academically.  His entitled behavior on the other hand is still a work in progress lol.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Funny enough, I've added "You kaleidoscope of mope" to my lexicon

Agreed. My wife and I both have parents who emigrated to America from a country where education was prioritized over everything. Our parents could barely afford eating out at restaurants once a week, but they made sure to make every sacrifice to pay terrible taxes to live in great school districts and most of their time and efforts went to academia for us and our siblings. She and I separately saw how much it benefitted both of us and our siblings first hand, so we share a similar mindset for our kids.

Sometimes we lament at how little we do to prioritize their education compared to what our parents did with/for us. Still, daily homework assignments, night-time reading, bi-lingual communication within the house, and finding any excuse to impart logical reasoning or critical thinking are a way of life for us. Like you say, although it's a ******* chore most days, the pay-off for us will be better than winning a lottery. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I hate a bunch of these books, and he has a small library full of them.  I keep wondering, where is Dada llama?  Is this a single parent situation? Is Dada llama dead or is he paying child support? What happened to dada llama?  

Yeah, we end up trying to do things with him together as much as possible.  We've recently gotten to math, trying to teach him to be better at addition and subtraction.  Our solution? Lego blocks.  Apparently he's a visual learner for math, so if we use lego blocks, he picks it up really quickly.  So I just bought 300 pieces of Lego, RIP to my foot.  

Yeah, my wife was very big on reading from the start (I'll be honest, I wasn't lol) but it's really helped him academically.  His entitled behavior on the other hand is still a work in progress lol.  

DUDE! Exactly! Where the **** is the dad in these llama books? My son is now past the pout pout and llama llama books and is now into actual long-ass stories. My wife got him The Ugly Ducking, and it took forever to go through it with him a few nights ago; reading it, having him repeat it, explaining it to him, and having him ask questions. I yawned and mentally cursed my way through the whole thing.

Arithmetic is on the horizon for us with our soon-to-be 4 year old. He also requires a lot of visual aids right now, but it's a work in progress. One of the downsides to having two so close in age that we're starting to realize is that our 2 year old is inadvertently holding our 3 year old back from progressing, because he's more interested in showing off how he knows her stuff instead of trying to figure out his own. My wife was just suggesting to me last night that we'll need to start separating them into different rooms when we do homework.

Godspeed to your feet, ankles, and knees with that many legos lying around. My guy has been into dinosaurs for about a year and has a can of 50 little dinosaur figures. He can rattle off the full names of approximately 30-40 of them and tell you a cool fact about each, but the downside is that my wife and I now have to walk around in fear of stepping on one of them because he loves displaying them on the ground in random areas of the house. 

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

DUDE! Exactly! Where the **** is the dad in these llama books? My son is now past the pout pout and llama llama books and is now into actual long-ass stories. My wife got him The Ugly Ducking, and it took forever to go through it with him a few nights ago; reading it, having him repeat it, explaining it to him, and having him ask questions. I yawned and mentally cursed my way through the whole thing.

Arithmetic is on the horizon for us with our soon-to-be 4 year old. He also requires a lot of visual aids right now, but it's a work in progress. One of the downsides to having two so close in age that we're starting to realize is that our 2 year old is inadvertently holding our 3 year old back from progressing, because he's more interested in showing off how he knows her stuff instead of trying to figure out his own. My wife was just suggesting to me last night that we'll need to start separating them into different rooms when we do homework.

Godspeed to your feet, ankles, and knees with that many legos lying around. My guy has been into dinosaurs for about a year and has a can of 50 little dinosaur figures. He can rattle off the full names of approximately 30-40 of them and tell you a cool fact about each, but the downside is that my wife and I now have to walk around in fear of stepping on one of them because he loves displaying them on the ground in random areas of the house. 

Lol, I feel the pain of long books.  My wife's best friend is a librarian, and one of her bridesmaids is a teacher, so they sent a ton of books to each other for him.  Thankfully, he hasn't gotten into the really long books yet, but there are some that are just so annoyingly long.  Like watching an opponent drive against the Jets D in the Todd Bowles era.  Just when you think it's time to stop, there's some stupid twist.  

Lol, going back to your last post, yeah our parents were very much like that.  Literally wouldn't spend money on eating out (McDonald's was like the big reward if we did or some local Asian place) but everything education was stressed like a pressure cooker.  I had a basketball hoop in the backyard, and dad would get upset because he wanted to rest in the evening.  Yet, he would also drive 40 mins into Yonkers (or Ardsley) for this BS tutoring center called Score.  

So far, we only have 1, so it's been fairly easy.  We are thinking about another one because we find ourselves looking at his baby pictures and missing some of those days.  

Lol, we have the same issue with dinosaurs too.  The big thing for now with him is he likes to build Legos as a surprise, but we have to close our eyes.  Literally had to eat dinner today, pretending to close my eyes because he had a surprise for us with these structures.  When he was 2, had this really bad case of reflux.  If he did anything after eating, he'd vomit.  So we would try to force him to sit in the high chair for about 20-30 mins after eating and distracted.  So instead of the usual videos, I would put on videos that taught shapes, counting, dinosaurs, etc.  So then a year later (well after we didn't have to do these videos for him), he'd see a dinosaur figure and be like "Dada, that's a velociraptor or that's a Spinosaurus".  I'll be like wtf?  Google it because I don't know myself, and he'd be right lol.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I had wondered the same about the Llama Llama books, suspected the author was a single mom, looked it up, and she is divorced with I think two daughters.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:18 AM, HighPitch said:

Oh, so you’re saying you think they should just let him do what he was born to do and play football despite his behavior as a senior. OK that’s fine I guess. Well, it seems like this kid is gonna wind up going after all because I can already hear rumblings that they were accommodating him somehow.

Wait!, So you failed to ruin his Football career and he is coming to Florida?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Haha 2

On 5/26/2023 at 10:57 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I was a litigation attorney and went into HR1.  Was a great decision.

1.  Though they keep changing the name.  We are now "Talent Management" 

On 5/26/2023 at 11:11 AM, Matt39 said:

Yes same title talent manager 

Talent Managers of the world unite!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 4:00 PM, batman10023 said:

It would be better to pay the teachers more and cut back on the retirement benefits.  So more of the pay is front loaded than back end 

yea thats an option, I think more so its about just raising salaries (especially in the middle part of the guide) and then making it less than 20 years to get to the top.  That would really help a ton for many of us.

• Upvote 1