Jump to content

2026 World Cup in NY/NJ


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

I know they want to host a World Cup in US after the Qatar disaster. Sounds like NY/NJ is where they are targeting. 
 

I think most local residents would want nothing to do with this. 

What was a disaster about the Qatar World Cup?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, undertow said:

What was a disaster about the Qatar World Cup?

It’s a dry country and soccer fans like to get falling down drunk the day before the game, the day of the game, and the day after the game. They had to experience it sober and I guess that wasn’t fun lol 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Are you familiar with the surrounding towns within a 10 mile radius?

many are home to folks from Croatia, Portugal, spain, Columbia, Ecuador just to mention a few.

world cup in this area is going to be huge and tickets will be very difficult and expensive to obtain.

I am sure it will be a hot ticket, but commuters will just be annoyed by the traffic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I had very little interest in soccer, but the year the World Cup was here in Japan a guy who worked for me was Irish and got a bunch of tickets and insisted all his friends go but we had to wear green…so I wore the only green thing I had…pretty sure it was the only Boomer Esiason jersey in the whole stadium lol. Still one of the best times I’ve had at a sporting event and turned me into a little bit of soccer fan.
 

3ad857ea-211a-4328-911f-a6a79d6eafcf.jpeg.6515c74496a57ca7131f935f6e92bcf4.jpeg
 

NFL fans that blindly mock soccer have never experienced what it’s really like. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

NFL fans that blindly mock soccer have never experienced what it’s really like. 

As someone who played a lot of soccer growing up, I can see how it isn't a sport that is greatly appreciated here. In other countries, I believe the popularity developed because it's  been one of the only sports they have to watch with professional players who are the best in the world. There are a lot of choices in the US 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

I know they want to host a World Cup in US after the Qatar disaster. Sounds like NY/NJ is where they are targeting. 
 

I think most local residents would want nothing to do with this. 

Because bringing revenues into local business is bad?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It was more to do with politics. It happened shortly after the Kashogi murder that was said to be done at the princes order. I don't think the actual tournament was effected. 

That's what I figured thanks. So it wasn't a disaster a small group of people just got upset online. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It was more to do with politics. It happened shortly after the Kashogi murder that was said to be done at the princes order. I don't think the actual tournament was effected. 

Politics? Did you watch the Netflix documentary? It was the fact that FIFA outwardly got bribed. Also Qatar was cited for multiple human rights violations as they were building the sites. The whole thing was very ugly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, undertow said:

Am I being serious?  I could care less about soccer I asked a question you got an answer?

oh I thought u were being a dick.

 

it was a disaster because alcohol is not allowed. Now, some smarty pants pooh poohed that above but give me a break. Imagine an nfl season where no beer is sold or allowed in the lot. Thats OUTSIDE the stadiums......inside beer was supposed to be sold and then pulled at the last minute. So ppl came thinking they could at least sit and have a beer but they could not. Then the "hotels" that were 200 euros a night turned out to be tents in the desert. Then there were the gestapo partols that harrassed everyone even the media trying to do a story.

Bottom line is that country's oil money brought them a world cup, but they are still subhumans that are 150 years behind the times so it was a disaster for normal ppl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

Politics? Did you watch the Netflix documentary? It was the fact that FIFA outwardly got bribed. Also Qatar was cited for multiple human rights violations as they were building the sites. The whole thing was very ugly. 

Yes,  but nobody actually cared until someone was murdered and dismembered.  You want to talk about crooked in sports, look no further than the NBA draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

oh I thought u were being a dick.

 

it was a disaster because alcohol is not allowed. Now, some smarty pants pooh poohed that above but give me a break. Imagine an nfl season where no beer is sold or allowed in the lot. Thats OUTSIDE the stadiums......inside beer was supposed to be sold and then pulled at the last minute. So ppl came thinking they could at least sit and have a beer but they could not. Then the "hotels" that were 200 euros a night turned out to be tents in the desert. Then there were the gestapo partols that harrassed everyone even the media trying to do a story.

Bottom line is that country's oil money brought them a world cup, but they are still subhumans that are 150 years behind the times so it was a disaster for normal ppl

So it was a disaster because Americans couldn't get inebriated, hotels were too expensive, and they couldn't find any prostitutes? lol  Subhuman? OK Goebbles.  The older I get the more I understand why everyone hates Americans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, undertow said:

Isn't the world cup like a month?

Games are spread out over 3 countries and even within the US will be spread out over many stadiums. From Cali to Texas to NY and places in between. 
 

Would be surprised if MetLife hosted more than a handful of games. 
 

the REAL interesting question is that FIFA requirement is that games are played on real grass. So MetLife will likely have to set the stadium up to have real grass and I’m curious if they keep it for NFL. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...