Check this out, thoughts on what's holding up Q's contract and the Jet salary cap

18 minutes ago, Facts said:

Thanks for posting the link @Maxman. Im watching it live.

Hopefully whats holding it up is JD being smart and realizing that as good as QW is, its not worth allocating 10%+ of the salary cap toward an interior d-linemen. 

Thanks for watching I'm out but I'm going to check it out later.

This Rodgers restructure is going to be very interesting.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Facts said:

Thanks for posting the link @Maxman. Im watching it live.

Hopefully whats holding it up is JD being smart and realizing that as good as QW is, its not worth allocating 10%+ of the salary cap toward an interior d-linemen. 

I wonder how stupid LA feels for paying Aaron Donald 32 million?

• Upvote 3

Biggest takeaway IMO was that if the story is accurate, the Jets, having spent months working on acquiring Aaron Rodgers and feeling very confident for some time that it would happen, had no plan in terms of what to do if and when the deal happened.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Biggest takeaway IMO was that if the story is accurate, the Jets, having spent months working on acquiring Aaron Rodgers and feeling very confident for some time that it would happen, had no plan in terms of what to do if and when the deal happened.

Saying they had 'no plan' is just silly. 

What JD has already been able to do before and after the deal for Rodgers with player contracts without outright cutting any quality players or weakening the roster suggests to me that he did have a plan.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

had no plan in terms of what to do if and when the deal happened.

I didn't listen to the discussion, but I would highly doubt that would be the case. When you are a GM, the one thing you have to do with every acquisition or roster move is understand the consequences to salary structure, cap and your ability to maneuver. 

With a deal that size, you are thinking about it every waking moment.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Saying they had 'no plan' is just silly. 

What JD has already been able to do before and after the deal for Rodgers with player contracts without outright cutting any quality players or weakening the roster suggests to me that he did have a plan.  

You do realize the deal is still not done, right?  Even if it were to get done today, the fact that it has taken this long tells us there was no plan.

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I didn't listen to the discussion, but I would highly doubt that would be the case. When you are a GM, the one thing you have to do with every acquisition or roster move is understand the consequences to salary structure, cap and your ability to maneuver. 

With a deal that size, you are thinking about it every waking moment.

I beg to differ.  They have people who work for the team whose job it is to work guys under the cap.  This process is coming up on 3 months to figure it out and it's still not done.  It seems the plan was to get Rodgers in the building and figure out the contract later.  Which is what they're doing.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I beg to differ.  They have people who work for the team whose job it is to work guys under the cap.  This process is coming up on 3 months to figure it out and it's still not done.  It seems the plan was to get Rodgers in the building and figure out the contract later.  Which is what they're doing.

Is it possible they're waiting to see what they can get QW to agree to before restructuring Rodgers? I'm wondering if there's a general framework figured out w/Rodgers that they will tweak what years money goes to based on what they figure out w/Q. Kind of makes sense that two monster deals would need to have some interaction over the years.

Conner seemed pretty confident they had something w/Arod worked out ...

And remember, it was within a day or two of acquiring Rodgers that Connor Hughes reported on how awesome the new deal was going to be and that the fans were going to love it.  That suggested the deal was about to wrap up.  That's going on 3 weeks now.  They're clearly working this on the fly.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Pretty absurd conclusion. 

I know people are excited about Rodgers and Joe D. walks on water right now, but I'm not going to allow that to have me pretend that everything they're doing right now was a masterfully orchestrated cluster****.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Is it possible they're waiting to see what they can get QW to agree to before restructuring Rodgers? I'm wondering if there's a general framework figured out w/Rodgers that they will tweak what years money goes to based on what they figure out w/Q. Kind of makes sense that two monster deals would need to have some interaction over the years.

Conner seemed pretty confident they had something w/Arod worked out ...

They just made the Rodgers acquisition their number one priority for the entire offseason.  His deal should be priority number 1 when you look at how it hamstrings them while it isn't done.  No matter what Q is willing to take, the goal should be to bring the cap hit down as much as possible to allow maximum maneuverability.

It'll get done eventually, but some pre-planning would have been a good idea too.

Just now, AFJF said:

They just made the Rodgers acquisition their number one priority for the entire offseason.  His deal should be priority number 1 when you look at how it hamstrings them while it isn't done.  No matter what Q is willing to take, the goal should be to bring the cap hit down as much as possible to allow maximum maneuverability.

It'll get done eventually, but some pre-planning would have been a good idea too.

how is it hamstringing them right now?

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know people are excited about Rodgers and Joe D. walks on water right now, but I'm not going to allow that to have me pretend that everything they're doing right now was a masterfully orchestrated cluster****.

I hit send instead of return by accident, you can read the rest of my post. Your impatience doesn’t mean they don’t have a plan, it just means you’re impatient. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I imagine they'd like to get Quinnen Williams a new deal.  Not going to be able to do that sitting at $40 mil over the cap next year.  Once they come up with a plan for Rodgers' deal, they can move forward on that front.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I hit send instead of return by accident,  pls can read the rest of my post. Your impatience doesn’t mean they don’t have a plan, it just means you’re impatient. 

Are you suggesting teams can't pre-plan a new deal for cap purposes if they know they're going to acquire a player? 

I think I see the problem here.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

In addition, I sure as hell hope they're planning on bringing in another player or two to elevate this roster.  The Rodgers move should mean they're all-in for a SB run.  Too many spots on this roster telling us that as of today, they'd be happy with a winning record.  For some fans I think that's a home run.  Not for everyone though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I imagine they'd like to get Quinnen Williams a new deal.  Not going to be able to do that sitting at $40 mil over the cap next year.  Once they come up with a plan for Rodgers' deal, they can move forward on that front.

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was suggesting.

This may be what is going on:

They have agreed to a framework for Arod restructure but they're waiting to see what they can get Q to agree to before they play the shell game with the cap dollars on both contracts over the years. Leaving the AROD restructure open gives them flexibility in how they work whatever contract they agree to with Q.

Not saying that's for sure what's going on but it could be.

• Upvote 1

In addition, I sure as hell hope they're planning on bringing in another player or two to elevate this roster.  The Rodgers move should mean they're all-in for a SB run.  Too many spots on this roster telling us that as of today, they'd be happy with a winning record.  For some fans I think that's a home run.  Not for everyone though.

agree 100%

that hopkins move makes too much sense.

Just now, AFJF said:

Are you suggesting teams can't pre-plan a new deal for cap purposes if they know they're going to acquire a player? 

I think I see the problem here.

I’m sure they did. The contract they inherited is different than they expected, now they need to figure out how to spread it out in an intelligent way. Their goal isn’t just to get as far below the cap as they can, the goal is have your cap work for the next few years. He’s gotta stretch that Rodgers money, fit QW in there, with a few young players on the horizon who could all be looking for top of their position contracts. 

One of the reasons I like Douglas is the fact that he’s deliberate and thorough in his actions. Whether they get it done in April or July really doesn’t matter at all. There’s no urgency until we get closer to training camp. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m sure they did. The contract they inherited is different than they expected, now they need to figure out how to spread it out in an intelligent way. Their goal isn’t just to get as far below the cap as they can, the goal is have your cap work for the next few years. He’s gotta stretch that Rodgers money, fit QW in there, with a few young players on the horizon who could all be looking for top of their position contracts. 

One of the reasons I like Douglas is the fact that he’s deliberate and thorough in his actions. Whether they get it done in April or July really doesn’t matter at all. There’s no urgency until we get closer to training camp. 

Is Rodgers now getting more money than the Jets anticipated?  Did Green Bay give him a huge pay raise before the deal was official?  Because everything I've read says he's getting the same amount of money.  

They've had a couple months to either re-structure or give him an entirely new deal that would allow them to get to work on Quinnen as soon as possible.

They obviously didn't do that, so now they'll work on the fly.

• More Ugh 2

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

agree 100%

that hopkins move makes too much sense.

Literally praying for that.  This WR room is middle of the pack.  Adding Hopkins would be a huge boost.

Just now, AFJF said:

Is Rodgers now getting more money than the Jets anticipated?  Did Green Bay give him a huge pay raise before the deal was official?  Because everything I've read says he's getting the same amount of money.  

They've had a couple months to either re-structure or give him an entirely new deal that would allow them to get to work on Quinnen as soon as possible.

They obviously didn't do that, so now they'll work on the fly.

Would you like to talk to the manager? 

17 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I wonder how stupid LA feels for paying Aaron Donald 32 million?

I'm am all for Paying Q, but Aaron Donald is the most dominant D Tackle I have seen in decades.  7 straight seasons of being a top 5 DPOY, winning it 3 times. 

They aren't quite an apples to apples comparison.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was suggesting.

This may be what is going on:

They have agreed to a framework for Arod restructure but they're waiting to see what they can get Q to agree to before they play the shell game with the cap dollars on both contracts over the years. Leaving the AROD restructure open gives them flexibility in how they work whatever contract they agree to with Q.

Not saying that's for sure what's going on but it could be.

If that were the case, Quinnen would be kept in the loop and would know that both sides were working through the issue.  With the silly social media games he's playing, I'd be surprised if that were the case unless he's just reeeeaaaalllly dumb.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm am all for Paying Q, but Aaron Donald is the most dominant D Tackle I have seen in decades.  7 straight seasons of being a top 5 DPOY, winning it 3 times. 

They aren't quite an apples to apples comparison.

Nicole Lynn may not see it that way.  Agents love to talk about a player's most recent performance when it strengthens their own argument.  In this case "My guy had a better year in 2022 than the guy who makes $31 million, so wee need to be in that ballpark"

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If that were the case, Quinnen would be kept in the loop and would know that both sides were working through the issue.  With the silly social media games he's playing, I'd be surprised if that were the case unless he's just reeeeaaaalllly dumb.

It’s possible that he’s in the loop and also not thrilled with what the Jets offer is. Are you really that upset about him taking the word “jets” off his Twitter? Guess what? It’s reactions like yours that lead to this sort of thing being the general practice it is. If no one gave a crap, it would happen a lot less. 

I'd rather you just answer the question, but if that's all you got, I think I have my answer.

You seem to think you’re up to date, not up to me to provide you with updates. The Jets were handed an unexpected opportunity with Rodgers deal, a big part of that opportunity was immediately having plenty of time to not do anything, rather than having to scramble to get him under the cap (as was being reported). 

He’s taking the time he has to do it right rather than fast, because there’s no urgency at all to get it done fast, despite your feelings on the issue. 

If there’s a player they want to add, they’ll figure out how to do that. They don’t have to get these contracts done first.