The Becton haters have to be at least a little bit nervous at this point, right?

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll never understand why grown men talk about these guys as if they’re still 12 year olds with some sort of undying allegiance.

I was all in favor of drafting Becton. His potential was/is enormous.

But so is his appetite and his penchant for whining like a minge.

He either gets it together and stays healthy this season, or he’s gone.

No if’s, and’s or but’s about it.

He's gone either way.

No way they trust this guy with a second contract.

That's the biggest shame of this whole thing.  Becton has the potential to own this league.  All he had to do was care enough to put in the work.  Now you cannot trust him to stay motivated unless the contract has a weekly weigh in or some other ridiculous clause that professional athletes shouldn't have to be subjected to.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

What Jets fan wants to see Becton fail, especially with Rodgers now in the fold?

The supposed “Becton haters” have simply pointed out the obvious with the guy.

To this point, he’s proven to be a fat, thin skinned puss who can’t stay on the field.

I don’t care about him suddenly getting back into shape with the offseason activities about to kick into full swing. He did the same sh*t last year. And now it’s do or die for him. He’d have to have rocks in his skull where his brain should be to not be motivated.

Stay on the field, play at a high level and maintain a proper weight and then Jets fans won’t constantly sh*t on your face.

Simple, really.

There are a good number of people on this board who would much rather be right about a negative opinion of a Jets player than be wrong, even being wrong means some success for the Jets.  They get far more pleasure by posing an "I told you so" than a Jets win.  And they take pleasure in the Jets losing. They are the Benigno-Greenie woe is me SOJ "fans" and the self proclaimed "experts" and "scouts" who were somehow overlooked by the NFL.  

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 4

11 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Lets start with six straight snaps and build up to six straight quarters.

This is the cat who routinely pulled himself out of games for breathers.

What starting left tackle in the HISTORY of the game has ever done that???

i know its a contract year and everything, but it does look like he is putting in the work. hopefully he can protect Rodgers blind side this year

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At this point he is a totally unreliable backup olineman.  Two years to actually get into shape, whoop dee do.

If he makes it past 4 games it will be  a success.

This

Becton can scream about being a LT all he wants, but if Brown is healthy, it’s his job to lose.

Either get your goofy ass on board with competing with Mitchell for the RT spot or get comfy being the swing tackle this year and seeking the best 1 year, “prove it” deal in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He's gone either way.

No way they trust this guy with a second contract.

That's the biggest shame of this whole thing.  Becton has the potential to own this league.  All he had to do was care enough to put in the work.  Now you cannot trust him to stay motivated unless the contract has a weekly weigh in or some other ridiculous clause that professional athletes shouldn't have to be subjected to.

Agreed

Even if Becton stays healthy and is a stalwart piece on the OL this year, who the hell is going to feel comfortable giving him a longterm deal?

Some would say franchise him, but I still wouldn’t be sold on that. Especially depending on how Rodgers’ new deal is structured. And we’re also going to be looking for a Corey Davis replacement next offseason, there’s Quinnen’s contract to contend with and once again who is going to play next to him, who is replacing Mosley, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

People on the board get caught up in being right, but also as a supporter I'd say he really let the team down with how much he coasted the last two years. A lot of fans on this board pay attention to what happens in the offseason training programs. Two years ago he was so out of shape it was like a time bomb before he got hurt, listening to reports of how badly he was getting beaten by Carl Lawson pre achilles. Then last year he wasn't in this shape, wore a big bust t shirt, mocking his critics, then got hurt again, leading to questions if he damaged his body long term.

I hope he does well, but I think he has to have a top 5 season to get tagged, otherwise he might go right back to not caring about the game. Even if he has a career year, he really seems like the kind of guy to gain the weight back. I'm more excited about Max Mitchell, but Becton does have star potential

People on this board decide they don't like players the day they are drafted. They spit hatred, vitriol and ill will. It's not unique. It's true in every fan base. For some, being right trumps everything. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Haters? Do you mean the people who were right in being alarmed at his conditioning going into camp last year? Me, personally, I'd be thrilled if he came back strong. However, there's still a long way to go before he finds redemption.

Only “haters” or “lovers” exist in today’s world of extremes. There is no more space for nuance.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

45 minutes ago, rldev said:

People on this board decide they don't like players the day they are drafted. They spit hatred, vitriol and ill will. It's not unique. It's true in every fan base. For some, being right trumps everything. 

Yeah well it's a message board, it's what you make it. I personally only argue when pessemists make flawed arguments. You can't take it too seriously. I remember posting here in high school, me and my friends would make accounts and spend try and troll message boards and we would argue about anything with posters to see who could get the best reactions out of people. As  you could tell I was pretty cool. Then too some of the "obnoxious" posters bring a presence or a personality to the board. Ya know kinda like you love to hate em sorta thing

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Silly title OP.  No one hates Becton.  Disappointed and frustrated sure but hate, nope.  I must say his legs look more toned and muscular than I've ever seen before.  So, glass half full.  :)  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Come on... You know it's a contract year... From his rookie deal... If he shows up this year he is worth 150 mil contact... If not it's 25 mil... 

With his history even if he wins comeback player of the year he's still not getting a $150m contract.    

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

A motivated and in shape Becton will be a force if he can stay healthy.

I would definitely have reservations around giving him a big contract though. He very well could slip back into his poor discipline ways. But I don't know the man, and he very well may have changed. Some of these guys do grow up and mature.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There are a good number of people on this board who would much rather be right about a negative opinion of a Jets player than be wrong, even being wrong means some success for the Jets.  They get far more pleasure by posing an "I told you so" than a Jets win.  And they take pleasure in the Jets losing. They are the Benigno-Greenie woe is me SOJ "fans" and the self proclaimed "experts" and "scouts" who were somehow overlooked by the NFL.  

Haven’t seen anyone say they want the Jets to fail in order to victory lap on a messageboard and because you can’t know what’s in peoples’ hearts, I can only assume you’re projecting and explaining the motivation of the one person who you do know — you.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Becton gets a lot of hate amongst Jets fans, but I always thought the organization owes everyone an explanation. 

1) he gets hurt week 1 or 2021-supposed to be out 4-8 weeks. No surgery, just rehab. 

2) Ended up being out for season 

3) Reinjures knee immediately in training camp 

4) This time they go in an and do a surgery on the knee 

To me it looks like this surgery should have probably been done after the first injury. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

Becton gets a lot of hate amongst Jets fans, but I always thought the organization owes everyone an explanation. 

1) he gets hurt week 1 or 2021-supposed to be out 4-8 weeks. No surgery, just rehab. 

2) Ended up being out for season 

3) Reinjures knee immediately in training camp 

4) This time they go in an and do a surgery on the knee 

To me it looks like this surgery should have probably been done after the first injury. 

In hindsight they probably should have just called you. Maybe next time. 

Just now, JiF said:

I'm firing up the back the Mekhi Becton Pancake Club!!!!!  He's coming boys!!!!!!  This time he's for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@freestater

Let’s hope dude. If he could finish the season in some sort of capacity they would  be huge for the Jets. But, guy hasn’t played football in a pretty long time and as much as I’m rooting for the kid it’s kinda tough to believe he’ll be able to make a difference. We’ll see. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

People say that about Benigno but it's simply not true.  If you followed him last year when they were winning, he praised them.  He said that the "big box teams" (his phrase) like Denver, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc wished they had as much talent as the Jets did.  He even defended ZW for a while (when they were winning), saying that the team wins with him.  

• Upvote 3