The Becton haters have to be at least a little bit nervous at this point, right?

Lets start with six straight snaps and build up to six straight quarters.
This is the cat who routinely pulled himself out of games for breathers.
What starting left tackle in the HISTORY of the game has ever done that???
Hahaha people forget that part a LOT when talking about his amazing rookie year. I didn't.

I didn't want to draft him. I think he was and is a big risk. .....and I 100% want him to stay on the field, kick arse, pancake people and be an all pro. Because I care about the ring, nit about being right. I'm too old now to be right on this one. My wife constantly tells me I'm wrong anyway so I'm used to it.

Let me be wrong. Let the kid earn his paper and in the meantime give me reason to have pride in my team again. Prove you are what you say and think you are. Prove that pulling yourself out of games because you had a cough was some rookie sh*t that you are over now.

PROVE IT KID.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

I was an NCO in charge of 9 people's lives at 24, getting paid about $19K a year. . Don't want to hear this crap
Were you a millionaire that never had to earn anything your while life, having been coddled and spoiled up to that point in your life?

Or did you have to earn your spot, pay your dues and bust your ass to be there at 24?

Apples to French fries boss.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

Not so much hate as it is frustration, me included, but I do give Becton a little benefit of the doubt given the very mixed record the Jets medical staff has had with managing injuries/rehab.  Maybe he never fully recovered from the 2021 injury and that contributed to the weight gain and the subsequent injury.  Still, it's very much a prove it year, no more maybe's. I just hope he stays in shape and avoids any injuries.  A healthy Becton playing as well as he did in his rookie year is a huge improvement over what we had last year. 

Let’s hope he’s matured about his body and career as he’s gotten older. The NFL stands for Not For Long and Mekhi looks like he saw the writing on the wall. Let not forget that this guy is an unstoppable force when he is at his peak. He is a physical specimen who handled Bosa, Donald and others with ease his rookie season. The ideal scenario would be for Becton to win the LT job and Max at RT with Brown as the swing.

If Mekhi is at his full superpowers then watch out there was a reason he was such a high draft pick. The guy is a once in a lifetime Greek god type of athlete. He is on a mission this year like no other. His body transformation is truly impressive. I was so sure he was the real deal I even bought his jersey after his rookie season lol. I don’t think I’ll be throwing that one out like I did Jamal and Sam lol. 

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

2 words:

SHOW US

Everyone who is a Jet fan wants Becton to succeed and if not, you are not a real Jet fan. Imagine anyone wanting a player on a team you love, to fail? That's beyond ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

Which sets him apart from most NFL players who simply suit up and get in shape as an act of kindness toward the fans for whom they care so deeply.

Good point. But most NFL players are in excellent shape every year and not just when it's time to start thinking about a new contract. 

I hope he has seen the light and this is the Becton we get the rest of his career. But even if he has a great year, there needs to be some hesitation about giving him a long term deal after years of injuries and being horribly out of shape. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

this guy is an unstoppable force when he is at his peak. He is a physical specimen who handled Bosa, Donald and others with ease his rookie season. The guy is a once in a lifetime Greek god type of athlete. He is on a mission this year like no other. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Becton is a recent new father who’s just turned the ripe old age of 24. He’s allegedly down to around 340lbs or so after being drafted at 367 and probably over 400 last year. It’s possible that he’s just growing up a little bit with a wife and a son, recognizing that these are his earning years and he had better get his **** together. It’s a thing that happens with young people sometimes. 

He has to prove it on the field this year, absolutely. If he’s very good and healthy all season, I doubt anything is off the table for him and the Jets next year. The non-exclusive tag could easily be an option. 

The tag is considerably higher than the 13 million option.

This is why I wanted them to pick it up.

Forces him to “show” two years in a row before the 18-25 million payday.  

I can’t see them risking a 3- 5 year deal on him and someone else will if he plays to his potential.

I’m very optimistic about Becton this year. Fingers crossed, sure, but yeah. He’s done a complete 180° in terms of his attitude. He seems positive and focused and a part of the team. And he absolutely has to be in the best physical shape of his life. 

Mekhi Becton says this is the most excited he’s ever been going into training camp

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2023, 2:11 PM EDT

Getty Images

Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton had his fifth-year option declined this offseason, and heard coach Robert Saleh tell him that if he wants to be an NFL left tackle, he’s going to have to earn it. But Becton says any perception that he’s not happy with where his career is heading into Year Four is incorrect.

“This is the most excited I’ve ever been going into training camp,” Becton told Newsday.

As the 11th overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, Becton has been a disappointment, struggling to stay healthy and starting just 14 games so far in his career. He expects this year to be different.

“I don’t want to look too far ahead, but I definitely feel way more confident than I’ve felt these past three years,” Becton said. “I feel like we’re going to win a lot of games, have a lot of fun, and just the energy and vibe with the players at the facility is uplifting.”

Becton says he’s been eating less, has lost more than 50 pounds, and has been working with a personal trainer who is getting him into great shape. With a good season, Becton can hit free agency in March and make himself a lot of money.

21 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll never understand why grown men talk about these guys as if they’re still 12 year olds with some sort of undying allegiance.

I was all in favor of drafting Becton. His potential was/is enormous.

But so is his appetite and his penchant for whining like a minge.

He either gets it together and stays healthy this season, or he’s gone.

No if’s, and’s or but’s about it.

I'll never get hating a guy on a personal level and rooting against him while he's in his early 20's, has shown elite ability and is still under contract.

Cut the bum now!!!!

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Good point. But most NFL players are in excellent shape every year and not just when it's time to start thinking about a new contract. 

I hope he has seen the light and this is the Becton we get the rest of his career. But even if he has a great year, there needs to be some hesitation about giving him a long term deal after years of injuries and being horribly out of shape. 

And some guys have a kid and it's a wake up call.  But that theory would show Becton in a positive light, so why not ignore that possibility and keep going with the worst option available, right?

I didn’t read this entire thread, but are there really Jets fans who “hate” Becton ? Obviously he’s been a huge disappointment and always seems either hurt or not in shape to play, but did we really go that far?  He is still very young and obviously talented from just watching him year one.  Doesn’t he deserve to be given a chance to revive his career with us, or is there really that much hatred for this guy? Maybe he learned from his mistakes and he can actually be a useful tackle for us. Wow. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll never get hating a guy on a personal level and rooting against him while he's in his early 20's, has shown elite ability and is still under contract.

Cut the bum now!!!!

Again, who is rooting against Becton and wants to see him turn out to be an injury riddled turd?

We’re going all in on a soon to be 40 year old superstar QB.

Why would any Jets fan with a brain want less than adequate protection for him?

There’s a difference between rooting against Becton and seeing him for what he has been to this point.

I’ve already said multiple times that I believe he has all-pro potential. But the fact of the matter is the dude hasn’t played a meaningful snap in two years and his massive weight fluctuations have no doubt played a part in that.

Totally ignoring the MASSIVE warning signs with this guy is just plain dumb.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And some guys have a kid and it's a wake up call.  But that theory would show Becton in a positive light, so why not ignore that possibility and keep going with the worst option available, right?

We are just being realistic. He has been a huge bust the last 2 years…..   we all like what we see but it doesn’t make us negative to recognize the probabilities of success aren’t 100 percent.  I would add, he didn’t train that well last year. So adds to our hesitation.  BUT doesn’t make us negative.  

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Again, who is rooting against Becton and wants to see him turn out to be an injury riddled turd?

We’re going all in on a soon to be 40 year old superstar QB.

Why would any Jets fan with a brain want less than adequate protection for him?

There’s a difference between rooting against Becton and seeing him for what he has been to this point.

I’ve already said multiple times that I believe he has all-pro potential. But the fact of the matter is the dude hasn’t played a meaningful snap in two years and his massive weight fluctuations have no doubt played a part in that.

Totally ignoring the MASSIVE warning signs with this guy is just plain dumb.

I'm not going to dig up all of the "cut him now, he's a bust" and "what a waste of a pick" takes, but if that's your idea of wishing him the best, we can agree to disagree on what those words mean.

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm not going to dig up all of the "cut him now, he's a bust" and "what a waste of a pick" takes, but if that's your idea of wishing him the best, we can agree to disagree on what those words mean.

Just because a select few goofs have said so doesn’t make it the consensus.

There is still a small contingent of Jets fans who didn’t want Rodgers and would’ve been elated treading water at 6-11/7-10 with Gardner Minshew at QB. And those people deserve to be mocked and perpetually pissed on until their dying days.

I mean, cutting Becton would’ve been silly, but had a guy like Skoronski fallen to the Jets at #15…I would’ve been completely fine with trading him and getting what we can. And I don’t see what is remotely controversial about that stance.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Unless you're showing me an MRI of his knees, there will be doubts.  The man has played 1 partial game of football the past two years.

Nobody said doubts were unreasonable.  The very loud minority of fans that wanted him cut and said he was a waste are the fans I'm talking about.  He may never play another game and he may get it together and be a HOF player.  Nobody knows that at this point.  I'm just glad the Jets didn't pull the plug and stuck with the kid.

On 5/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, T0mShane said:

Nine months ago he was 400 lbs and broke his leg getting bodied by a practice squad dude in practice. 

I think that the big controversy occurred when Becton was entering year #3.  I said that Becton was injury prone, and wanted the Jets to trade him before the season.  I thought we could get a 1st round draft pick for him.  Many people on this board argued with me, saying that Becton was not injury prone, and that I was being too harsh.

After he got season ending injury at the start of last year, the board went quiet, in that no one was defending Becton anymore.  

Remember, Becton had the "big bust" t shirt?  He ain't wearing that T shirt anymore, is he?  Not so much a joke anymore.

I hope Becton comes back and has a monster season, I really do.  I loved the Jets picking him in the 1st round, and thinking about his potential was exciting.  

Hope springs eternal, and as a Jets fan, I am hopeful that he can come back and be the special player we hoped he was when he was first drafted.

We just haven't seen it yet, except in times during his initial season.  This is his last chance to be the player we hoped he would become.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:41 AM, T0mShane said:

The guy I’ve compared Becton to is Russell Okung, whom the Seahawks drafted at 6 overall in 2010. He had a bunch of foot and leg issues early on that enraged Seahawks fans, but he pulled it together and had a pretty solid career. There’s some thought that it takes the big OL guy 3 years to get their sh*t together both physically and mentally, so maybe Becton is on that path. The big challenge he’ll have this summer is that Duane Brown is in his way at OLT and, for the first time in his life, Becton is going to have to compete for a job where he starts out as the underdog. 

Worry is he's closer to this guy, same round, same draft, same hype, albeit Becton's bigger. In a sense being injured and huge has bought him time Wilson did not get. Wilson has blown thru 3 teams in quick succession (if you count barely being with the Dolphins) and is out of football. Kind of hard to do.

Becton has barely seen any game action since his rookie year. The further you get from actual hitting, harder it gets to get back in there. 

https://nypost.com/2022/01/04/giants-isaiah-wilson-experiment-comes-to-a-sudden-end/

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, Fantasy Island said:

That fat gamer will disappoint .  It’s what he does.  Zach and Mekhi can’t leave fast enough

I was so off base in suggesting there are some fans rooting against him.

"We all like him.  Why are you lying"?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, AFJF said:

Nobody said doubts were unreasonable.  The very loud minority of fans that wanted him cut and said he was a waste are the fans I'm talking about.  He may never play another game and he may get it together and be a HOF player.  Nobody knows that at this point.  I'm just glad the Jets didn't pull the plug and stuck with the kid.

Who wanted to cut him? His contract is fully guaranteed. It’s not like he did something criminal. I just think he doesn’t have the mindset to be “the guy.” Best bet — if he plays well this season — is to keep stringing him along with short money to keep his motivation up. Major “get paid then loaf” risk.

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

Who wanted to cut him? His contract is fully guaranteed. It’s not like he did something criminal. I just think he doesn’t have the mindset to be “the guy.” Best bet — if he plays well this season — is to keep stringing him along with short money to keep his motivation up. Major “get paid then loaf” risk.

Plenty of threads on here and fans on twitter trashing him, calling for him to be cut and completely writing him off.

But his comments today were facepalm worthy.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Plenty of threads on here and fans on twitter trashing him, calling for him to be cut and completely writing him off.

Yeah that’s an emotional reaction. Cutting is dumb, we paid for him through this year. 

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But his comments today were facepalm worthy.

Yeah… pretty cringe

Jets should have picked up his 5th year option. It is going to cost them more $. But they can probably blend it out on a multi year deal. Would have to do it before he hits free agency though.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Jets should have picked up his 5th year option. It is going to cost them more $. But they can probably blend it out on a multi year deal. Would have to do it before he hits free agency though.

Yeah, risky decision.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk