Would you advocate the NFL switching to a more balanced schedule?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nope, terrible idea.  Div games are very special and a huge tradition.

If you want to see how this worked in the NHL this season, The Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames (MASSIVE rivalry) played a whopping 3 games this year only one in Edmonton and the games were over a 3rd of the year into the schedule.  It was a disgusting disgrace.

Do the Jets really have to play these teams twice? Isn’t once enough. 

• Thumb Down 4

33 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

These interleague MLB match ups stink.  Does a Mets -Twins series really get the blood boiling at the expense of more games vs the Braves and Phillies.  Would you really rather see Yankees-Rockies as opposed to Yanks-Red Sox?  Really?

While in the case of Yankees-Red Sox that is probably true. But the Yankees used to play 27 games a year vs the Red Sox, now its 19. The old playoff rules were all about winning the division, but with 3 wild cards you don't want two teams to beat up on 3 weak teams in a division

For yankee fans that live in an NL market it is nice and there are added bonuses like every team gets to play Shohei Ohtani. I have enjoyed a Pirates-Rays game recently. And I'd think it enjoyable to see the Yanks go against the Dodgers every year, as well as play all the top NL teams which is random.

In baseball's case there are so many games I think they should play the balanced schedule... But in the NFL it is dumb because there's only 17 games. You can't settle a division with 3 games. If we're talking crazy I guess you could toss out divisons, play every single AFC team, then 2 random NFC teams and do a playoff from there... but something tells me thats dumb

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

Do the Jets really have to play these teams twice? Isn’t once enough. 

It would put more emphasis  and a playoff like feel on the games but I think it would be totally unnecessary to do that. It isn't  like these games are uninteresting. I would much rather watch the Jets play Miami or Buffalo  than Dallas or Mn.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

MLB cut divisional games this year to create more interleague matchups. So far the reviews have been positive. 

Can you see the NFL adopting this? Would you be in a favor of it?

3 divisional games annually instead of 6. 

The schedule is already too watered down and baseball sucks, so no. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It would put more emphasis  and a playoff like feel on the games but I think it would be totally unnecessary to do that. It isn't  like these games are uninteresting. I would much rather watch the Jets play Miami or Buffalo  than Dallas or Mn.

I guess I disagree. I think it would be fun to play some different teams. I hate how the Jets only play the Giants once every four years. 

• Thumb Down 2

No, but it IS time for realignment. Having the Divisions as incoherent as they are because of some notional rivalries from 45 years ago is ridiculous. Miami should go to AFC South. Dallas to NFC South or Central. Etc. Indianapolis Colts are in the AFC South, and the Chiefs are West. WTF. ? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

These interleague MLB match ups stink.  Does a Mets -Twins series really get the blood boiling at the expense of more games vs the Braves and Phillies.  Would you really rather see Yankees-Rockies as opposed to Yanks-Red Sox?  Really?

I liked that the AL and NL never played each other.   Made the All Star Game an actual event, and the WS had a bit more mystique, as many of the players had not faced each other.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Making the schedule more equitable can be done without removing the divisions.

I would definitely keep the divisions the only thing I'd consider is changing the seedings in some circumstances. A 9-8 4 seed who won a crap division hosting a 12-5 5 seed who came in 2nd in a great division has never made any sense.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Disagree again. I am sure a Twins fans likes playing the Mets instead of another series with Cleveland .

I am sure the Reds are happy to host the Yankees (and fill their park) this weekend instead of the Pirates. 

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

Disagree again. I am sure a Twins fans likes playing the Mets instead of another series with Cleveland .

I am sure the Reds are happy to host the Yankees (and fill their park) this weekend instead of the Pirates. 

Do you think the Mets and Yankees fans find the prospect exciting as well?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, but it IS time for realignment. Having the Divisions as incoherent as they are because of some notional rivalries from 45 years ago is ridiculous. Miami should go to AFC South. Dallas to NFC South or Central. Etc. Indianapolis Colts are in the AFC South, and the Chiefs are West. WTF. ? 

Agree. The Cowboys don’t need the Giants, Eagles, and Commanders for ratings. The NFC and AFC South need a brand name team and the Cowboys and Dolphins help there. 

AFC-Move Miami to South, Indy to North, and Baltimore to East 

NFC-Move Dallas to south and Carolina to east 

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not less divs but different divs maybe

there's probably going to be another rebalancing when the league moves Jacksonville to London and expands another franchise out there 

Jacksonville will be investing millions on redoing that stadium in Jacksonville.  Would they be doing that if there is a move to London in the plans?  I think not.

12 hours ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

MLB cut divisional games this year to create more interleague matchups. So far the reviews have been positive. 

Can you see the NFL adopting this? Would you be in a favor of it?

3 divisional games annually instead of 6. 

We have a strong division so not for a few years. Besides, we’d have an issue of unfair home game advantage between every team. 

1 hour ago, EarthWindandRodgers said:

Agree. The Cowboys don’t need the Giants, Eagles, and Commanders for ratings. The NFC and AFC South need a brand name team and the Cowboys and Dolphins help there. 

AFC-Move Miami to South, Indy to North, and Baltimore to East 

NFC-Move Dallas to south and Carolina to east 

The Cowboys-Giants thanksgiving game last year set the record for regular season TV viewership. I look forward to Miami games every year, with the fish being my least favorite team in the league and the scumbag-led Pats not far behind. Miami will not want to leave the AFCe, and the Colts probably miss it. Ask Chiefs fans about when the Raiders come to town, or Pittsburgh-Baltimore. Tradition matters in this league. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Making the schedule more equitable can be done without removing the divisions.

I would definitely keep the divisions the only thing I'd consider is changing the seedings in some circumstances. A 9-8 4 seed who won a crap division hosting a 12-5 5 seed who came in 2nd in a great division has never made any sense.

It makes total sense. I seriously hate this argument. One, NFL schedules are SERIOUSLY unbalanced. We play AFC West, NFC East and AFC East, maybe the three strongest divisions in the NFL. JAX plas the NFC South, AFC North and AFC South. If the Jets went 9-8 and JAX went 12-5 the Jets record would be more impressive. Our schedule is WAY more than 2 games harder.

Plus hosting a playoff game is the reward for being the best in your division. No way that should be taken away