Mike Tomlin comments on Patriots’ sneaky draft move

Danny Jaillet
Fri, May 19, 2023 at 5:29 PM EDT

The New England Patriots made a notable move in the draft when trading the 14th overall pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers in exchange for the 17th overall selection.

A fourth-round pick was also included in the deal.

The Patriots got the player they wanted in cornerback Christian Gonzalez. They also managed to make life harder for the AFC East rival New York Jets. With the 14th overall selection, the Steelers selected Broderick Jones from Georgia.Jones was thought to have been a prime selection for New York, as they needed help protecting Aaron Rodgers. After the pick, the Jets ended up taking Iowa State defensive end Will McDonald IV at No. 15.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about this on “The Rich Eisen Show” on Thursday afternoon, and he admitted the Patriots didn’t hesitate in allowing the Steelers to move up on the draft board to get the player projected to the Jets.“I’m not going to delve into the relationship between New England and the Jets. Let’s just say I’m glad we found a partner,” said Tomlin. “…I’ll put it this way: There wasn’t a lot of hesitation on New England’s end.”

New England was able to get their guy in Gonzalez and potentially stopped the Jets from being able to select a priority target. It was a win-win trade for two teams, with the Jets being the ones left in the dust.

>>   https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-tomlin-comments-patriots-sneaky-212935312.html

23 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I love how all of these dickbags are just assuming that the Jets were dead set on taking a project OT in the Top 15.

If the Jets drafted an OT in the 1st, the dude was going to spend his rookie year as a backup swing tackle unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

Yet that was somehow supposed to help us immediately…

Clowns

I get what you're saying, and am not so sure that would've definitely been the pick, but it's also hardly unlikely for something to happen to Becton.

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, freestater said:

seemed like an appropriate place to remind one that Bill Belichick is a scumbag. 

He is a scumbag who seems to have a healthier than average dose of hatred for the Jets.

Mike Tomlinson himself implied this in his comments, given how easy it was to pry loose the 15th pick.  The trade chart itself implies the Pats took less than the ‘going rate’.

He’s shown this time and again over the years, as recently as 2021 running up the score and a couple years prior playing some weird showmanship game during a simple punt late in a game the Pats had in hand.

• Upvote 3

**** the pats*, and Tomlin ain't sh*t as a coach when he isn't coaching a pre-built super bowl winner. Kind of like how bb* isn't sh*t without a HoF qb. Here's to McDonald 'Theismann'ing' current and future pats* qbs*, and a couple of steelers one's too. It'll be funny when Jones busts, and McDonald is averaging 10+ sacks a year.

satan GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Is BB supposed to help us?  This is a competition.  If he "screwed us over", that's what he's supposed to do.  Let's not forget that JD swapped picks with GB in the 1st round.  So instead of picking 1 spot ahead of New England, we picked 1 spot behind them.  

• Upvote 3

honestly I don't think JD was all that intent at drafting an OT to be a swing or OT4 behind Mitchell at 15

Brown is making almost 10 mil and is going to play

Becton is a huge question mark but it's unlikely Broderick Jones is better than him at RT on day 1 

it's an all in year they aren't drafting Jones to sit him they need players that will play real reps 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

35 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I get what you're saying, and am not so sure that would've definitely been the pick, but it's also hardly unlikely for something to happen to Becton.

I think if a guy like Skoronski would’ve fallen to the Jets, they would’ve taken him.

A technically refined prospect who could start immediately and compares favorably to a guy like AVT.

A guy like Jones is a different bag entirely. He’s a great athlete with a lot of upside, but he’s incredibly raw.

I just really question what kind of impact, if any, he would have as a rookie on this team.

It seems like everyone in the media is running with this narrative that the Jets were dead-set on taking an OT at #15, didn’t care who it was, and the Pats/Steelers f*cked them.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Actually BB considers us the enemy because we’re AFC East and on paper with Rodgers much improved. He jacked us last year with Zach. So he traded down which they always do anyways got Gonzalez and a 4th and prevented Jets from drafting top Oline guy. Not that he doesn’t hate Jets for whatever reason more than other teams but I don’t see the problem. If we did it it would be considered smart. 

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with a team doing what is in their own best interests.  The fact is it was done to hurt the Jets, PERIOD.  Nobody moves back from 14 to 17 for a 4th round pick.   It should have cost Pittsburgh their third rounder at #93.

If the Jets were still at pick 13, They would have laughed at that offer.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think if a guy like Skoronski would’ve fallen to the Jets, they would’ve taken him.

A technically refined prospect who could start immediately and compares favorably to a guy like AVT.

A guy like Jones is a different bag entirely. He’s a great athlete with a lot of upside, but he’s incredibly raw.

I just really question what kind of impact, if any, he would have as a rookie on this team.

It seems like everyone in the media is running with this narrative that the Jets were dead-set on taking an OT at #15, didn’t care who it was, and the Pats/Steelers f*cked them.

Yeah, I think it mostly comes to a question of whether he would've taken the #3 spot at OT if he had been the pick, which is now a job in all likelihood going to go to Mitchell.  It's a spot definitely with more focus on it than you'd expect, mostly given history says it's a job highly likely to get thrust into the starting role sooner or later, regardless of whether by design.

With that said, you're right that the narrative piece is definitely a big part of why it's still being talked about.  For now, that's mostly because there's little going on in football as they wait for OTAs begin, and then later training camp (which I think we all know is now virtually guaranteed to be the Jets on Hard Knocks).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

I have no problem with a team doing what is in their own best interests.  The fact is it was done to hurt the Jets, PERIOD.  Nobody moves back from 14 to 17 for a 4th round pick.   It should have cost Pittsburgh their third rounder at #93.

If the Jets were still at pick 13, They would have laughed at that offer.

If Belichick is intentionally making suboptimal moves because he thinks it will hurt the Jets, then that is great news for the Jets

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets definitely looked like they were working the phones to trade out of the spot.  When time ran out, they picked a solid edge rusher projected 10 -15 spots later.  A pick at the position with the most depth on the roster, when offensive needs, were clear.  I was surprised they didn't pivot to Njigba to replace Corey Davis and save $11 MM.  We have the 14th rated WR group.  Njigba might have been a difference maker.  

New England definitely impacted the Jets pick.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

The Jets definitely looked like they were working the phones to trade out of the spot.  When time ran out, they picked a solid edge rusher projected 10 -15 spots later.  A pick at the position with the most depth on the roster, when offensive needs, were clear.  I was surprised they didn't pivot to Njigba to replace Corey Davis and save $11 MM.  We have the 14th rated WR group.  Njigba might have been a difference maker.  

JSN projects as a slot, he doesn’t necessarily replace Corey Davis. 

I’d say we have a middle of the pack WR group, but out of curiosity, 14th according to whom? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I love how all of these dickbags are just assuming that the Jets were dead set on taking a project OT in the Top 15.

If the Jets drafted an OT in the 1st, the dude was going to spend his rookie year as a backup swing tackle unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

Yet that was somehow supposed to help us immediately…

Clowns

Fair point but don’t forget the Jets offered orlando brown a big free agent contract. They wanted a high end offensive tackle, I think. And the war room was not as excited this year after their first rd pick was announced like they were in years past, it seemed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

So EVEN if it's all true, which I am skeptical about, would you rather see Broderick Jones and Zach Wilson starting on Week 1, or Will MacDonald and Aaron Rodgers?  If Becton is able to play like he did as a rookie, will anyone even care about Broderick Jones?  Tomlin is so busy patting himself on the back, I think he may have forgotten to look at the roster and realize that he is starting Kenny Pickett against Burrow, Lamar, and Watson this year.  Good luck, Mike.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Is it really shocking that an NFL team maneuvered in the draft to acquire an extra pick with the certainty that the player they would want at their original pick would still be available with their newly acquired spot?  That is just drafting 101. If you don't do that, it is malfeasance. The fact you can do it to injure a division rival is just icing on the cake. 

Yeah but the jets have brown and becton on the roster. I don’t think they were on jones the way the fans and mock bros were. I don’t think they were on JSN either. I think you can argue they could have moved back 2-4 spots and still gotten McDonald or an another prospect but they obviously felt that was a risk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, I think it mostly comes to a question of whether he would've taken the #3 spot at OT if he had been the pick, which is now a job in all likelihood going to go to Mitchell.  It's a spot definitely with more focus on it than you'd expect, mostly given history says it's a job highly likely to get thrust into the starting role sooner or later, regardless of whether by design.

With that said, you're right that the narrative piece is definitely a big part of why it's still being talked about.  For now, that's mostly because there's little going on in football as they wait for OTAs begin, and then later training camp (which I think we all know is now virtually guaranteed to be the Jets on Hard Knocks).

Hyping Belichick screwing the Jets has been a tried and true formula for reporters to get clicks and eyeballs since the napkin...

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Completely agree but many posters here have convinced themselves Jets wanted McDonald all along. To me that’s silly but what can you do.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I hope 3 things happen.

1) We stomp out the Patriots bad twice this year. I want to embarrass them bad. It’s been 8 years for us and this has been a long time coming.

2) I hope Broderick Jones is a bust!

3) Will McDonald becomes an All Pro EDGE for us for the foreseeable future!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

The Jets are built on their D Line depth. JD isn’t stupid he knows to keep adding to the position of strength. We now have McDonald, JJ, and Clemons under team control for the foreseeable future. I’d also give an extension to Huff in order to keep those 4 as the core unit to go along with Qs new contract. Picking athletic EDGEs is the 1st rd is never a bad thing. Look at those Giants teams that won the Super Bowls. They had a ton of guys rotating in flying off the edge crushing Brady. That’s what we’re going to see this year. Very excited to see this defense at full strength destroying these teams.

After Q and that d line crushed Rodgers in Green Bay last season he was like “eff it that defense is ridiculous I’m going there to try to win this ring!” He knows first hand how dynamic a game wrecking defensive line can be.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Bungaman said:

"Left in the dust"? Hardly. It was a trade up and down. Made sense for both teams, no matter who was in the middle. 

Screw both teams - I loath them both, and just want to be sure we kick their asses when we play them. That's about it.

Agree bung, but I am torn because while I despise the Steelers and their fanbase, I have this strange love for tomlin

• Upvote 1