Jump to content

SI: Rams Trade For Jets WR Corey Davis?


Recommended Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-trade-proposal-new-york-jets-corey-davis

The Rams are listed as a potential suitor for Corey Davis if the Jets make him available in trade talks.

Sometimes all that is needed for a player who has struggled early in his career to turn it around is a change of scenery. Whether that comes via trade or free agency, a fresh start with a new team could be what helps them turn it around. 

One such player that could use a fresh start is receiver Corey Davis of the New York Jets, which is where the Los Angeles Rams could come into play. 

While the Jets have come out and said they have no intention of trading Davis, that does not mean a trade won't happen ever. If they do move the veteran receiver, Bleacher Report listed the Rams as one of two potential suitors along with the Atlanta Falcons. 

It is worth noting that this would be the third team for Davis in his NFL career, after starting with the Tennessee Titans. However, the Rams might just be the best situation for him yet in this hypothetical trade scenario.

Davis would enter an offense under Sean McVay that has shown it can be among the NFL's best. He would also get to play alongside one of the NFL's premier receivers in Cooper Kupp, which would allow him to operate more freely within the Rams' offense. 

Have we mentioned that it would also be the best quarterback he's played with in his career to date? There are reasonable questions surrounding Matthew Stafford's health, but if he's fully healthy he is capable of leading a Super Bowl-caliber team. 

In his two seasons with the Jets, Davis showed flashes of elite receiver play but was overall inconsistent. He recorded 66 receptions for 1,028 yards and six touchdowns, making him someone the Rams might be intrigued by. 

Of course, this is all purely hypothetical and there is no guarantee that Davis plays somewhere besides New York this offseason. If he does, the Rams could be on the phone to potentially bolster an already talented offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Davis would enter an offense under Sean McVay that has shown it can be among the NFL's best. He would also get to play alongside one of the NFL's premier receivers in Cooper Kupp, which would allow him to operate more freely within the Rams' offense. 

I wouldn't have minded if they traded us Cooper Kupp for Corey Davis.

  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t see him being traded at this point. We didn’t draft a WR, hardman has proven he’s more of a screen pass, package type WR and a lot of lazards value is in the running game. Davis has a role here. Moving him without signing someone else would leave the WR room short handed. Davis has had some injuries and hasn’t lived up to what we thought, but a ton of that could be chalked up to the bad QB play. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Corey Davis will have every chance for a reset here with a new coordinator and QB. I’m not sure if he’s in the top three or top four WRs on the team right now, but he’s valuable depth. Jets have no reason to offer him up for a trade unless they’re getting a WR back.

I’m pretty sure every receiver and every lineman will likely play better with a better QB and an experienced  OC. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

One such player that could use a fresh start is receiver Corey Davis of the New York Jets, which is where the Los Angeles Rams could come into play. 

Argument can be made that he would be getting a fresh start if he stays healthy and has Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball.  Unless anyone is offering to overpay, just keep Davis.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-trade-proposal-new-york-jets-corey-davis

The Rams are listed as a potential suitor for Corey Davis if the Jets make him available in trade talks.

Sometimes all that is needed for a player who has struggled early in his career to turn it around is a change of scenery. Whether that comes via trade or free agency, a fresh start with a new team could be what helps them turn it around. 

One such player that could use a fresh start is receiver Corey Davis of the New York Jets, which is where the Los Angeles Rams could come into play. 

While the Jets have come out and said they have no intention of trading Davis, that does not mean a trade won't happen ever. If they do move the veteran receiver, Bleacher Report listed the Rams as one of two potential suitors along with the Atlanta Falcons. 

It is worth noting that this would be the third team for Davis in his NFL career, after starting with the Tennessee Titans. However, the Rams might just be the best situation for him yet in this hypothetical trade scenario.

Davis would enter an offense under Sean McVay that has shown it can be among the NFL's best. He would also get to play alongside one of the NFL's premier receivers in Cooper Kupp, which would allow him to operate more freely within the Rams' offense. 

Have we mentioned that it would also be the best quarterback he's played with in his career to date? There are reasonable questions surrounding Matthew Stafford's health, but if he's fully healthy he is capable of leading a Super Bowl-caliber team. 

In his two seasons with the Jets, Davis showed flashes of elite receiver play but was overall inconsistent. He recorded 66 receptions for 1,028 yards and six touchdowns, making him someone the Rams might be intrigued by. 

Of course, this is all purely hypothetical and there is no guarantee that Davis plays somewhere besides New York this offseason. If he does, the Rams could be on the phone to potentially bolster an already talented offense. 

Just my opinion, but Corey Davis isn't going anywhere.  You know who your top 3 wide receivers are, but no idea who will be the #4. Corey Davis beats out all other comers, and I think it's not even close.  And if one of your top 3 guys gets hurt, who you gonna put in, Mims?  Or an aging guy who was brought in at the last moment to make Rodgers happy? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Making room for Davante Adams.

Thirty plus  million dollars if they were to trade him . Not going to happen for many reasons but that is big reason why.  Hunter Renfrow is on the block.   Raiders are stupid if they move him, but it looks like it’s going to happen. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Barton said:

Davis should leave. Too many drops, no jump ball game, injury history. Jets should be targeting another legit 1 or 1b opposite Wilson. 

I keep reading a lot of nonsense about how good Corey Davis will be with a good quarterback. Corey Davis had no problem with our QBs. He was always targeted. The problem is he is rarely available. I don't know what this has to do with Zach Wilson or anyone else. I'm not going to bother getting into the untimely drops. Everyone knows the dude is capable when he is available. But lets keep some perspective here. I would try to upgrade the position.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The contract to watch it Mosely’s, who is on the books for $21 mil this season alone. If Douglas isn’t doing anything to stem that egregious cap hit, it’s unlikely he’d feel any pressure to do anything to Davis’. Fairly likely Douglas had it baked in to dump Davis this year pre-Rodgers, but that dynamic is changed now, and they’ll just let Rodgers dictate who he wants out there at receiver and when. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The contract to watch it Mosely’s, who is on the books for $21 mil this season alone. If Douglas isn’t doing anything to stem that egregious cap hit, it’s unlikely he’d feel any pressure to do anything to Davis’. Fairly likely Douglas had it baked in to dump Davis this year pre-Rodgers, but that dynamic is changed now, and they’ll just let Rodgers dictate who he wants out there at receiver and when. 

They’ve moved so much of his money into the future that it doesn’t seem to likely for a player who’s been seeing the field roughly 100% of the time. I think their restructures with him were based on confidence that he was worth it and would be here. 
 
They don’t have a lot of obvious places to look for cap relief, though. Corey Davis seems pretty obvious, maybe Whitehead. Ashtyn Davis could be on the bubble with $2.7M in potential savings, along with a number of guys in the top 51 right now with salaries above $1.5M or so. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

After them, the rest of the group come with far more questions than answers, and it's a bit too late to do anything about that now.

I think people are sleeping on Hardman. The guy was Mahomes’ #3 target behind Hill and Kelce his first three years in the league then got hurt in his forth. He’s in a show me year, but he’s in a good spot to show it. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Thirty plus  million dollars if they were to trade him . Not going to happen for many reasons but that is big reason why.  Hunter Renfrow is on the block.   Raiders are stupid if they move him, but it looks like it’s going to happen. 

$8 mil cap hit for the acquiring team, though. Raiders take a $24 mil bath next season, but it seems inevitable that Adams shoots his way out of there sooner than later. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Doesn't matter much at this point.  We need depth at WR.

Thank you.  People were calling for a Davis trade early in the offseason, but they chose to trade Moore and not draft one high.

We NEED him now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Just my opinion, but Corey Davis isn't going anywhere.  You know who your top 3 wide receivers are, but no idea who will be the #4. Corey Davis beats out all other comers, and I think it's not even close.  And if one of your top 3 guys gets hurt, who you gonna put in, Mims?  Or an aging guy who was brought in at the last moment to make Rodgers happy? 

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but Davis IS number 2 right now.  Are you suggesting he's in a fight for the #4?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, slats said:

I think people are sleeping on Hardman. The guy was Mahomes’ #3 target behind Hill and Kelce his first three years in the league then got hurt in his forth. He’s in a show me year, but he’s in a good spot to show it. 

That's a good point but the WR room in KC was no where near as competitive as it is here.  His competition was Byron Pringle and Demarcus Robinson.  I think his speed will be hard to keep of the field, I just dont know how many sets he's going to see when you think about the structure.  

Lazard and Cobb are 2 of Rodgers favorite WR's w/ an established rapport and they're both intimately familiar w/ the system.  Obviously, Wilson is going to get a ton of balls,   Wouldnt shock me if Conklin ends up top 3 in receptions.  Hackett also loves to get the RB's involved in the passing game.  Dillon and Jones were top 4 in receptions on the Packers the last season w/ Hackett as OC.  The Jets have 4 RB's who catch the ball. 

To circle back to the topic, then you factor in Davis who is a big target and willing blocker, he too, will be hard to keep off the field.  And while I dont think he's lived up the 5th overall pick, lets be honest, he's been crippled by bad QB play his entire career.  When you have a sexy cocktail of Mariota, Cassel, Gabbert, Wilson, the corpse of Flacco, White, etc, throwing you the ball, you have to wonder how much is on him?  The 1 year he had consistently good QB play w/ Tannehill, he had his best year and the Titans ran the ball more than any other team.  

idk, maybe it's wishful thinking because he certainly hasnt been great but I think Davis could have a career year.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...