Jets Cut Reveals Mysterious ‘Non-Football Injury’ That Led to Release

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/news-ty-johnson-release-injury-update/

During an emotional Instagram video confession on May 19, former New York Jets running back Ty Johnson detailed the “non-football injury” that led to his unexpected release from the organization on April 26.

“So, over the past few months I’ve been trying to learn my laws of the universe, the 12 laws,” a dejected Johnson told followers after plunging into an ice bath recovery session. “And going through this process of recovering from surgery — I tore my pec, full sternal tear — if we except what’s going on and we know we have the ability to change it, then everything’s going to be alright.”

He went on: “It’s like a circle. Something happens, can I change it? Then, don’t worry. I can’t change it? Then, don’t worry. It’s a full cycle, man. Understanding my emotions and how to regulate my emotions through this process — because I’ve had some dark days. Dark, dark days, man.”

That’s when Johnson walked followers through the past month or so.

Ty Johnson Says Jets Cut Him After Initial Conversations on Injury & Surgery

As the Instagram reel continued, the free agent running back provided some inside information on his recent release from the Jets franchise.

“Obviously, went to New York,” Johnson began, relaying: “Told them [about the injury]. I told them even before this, I was like — ‘hey, was working out, [the torn pectoral] happened’ — saw the team doctor, he was like — ‘you need to get it fixed.’ Flew out the next day [to get surgery]. Came back happy that I got it done, even though I didn’t want to get it done. That following Wednesday, you’re outta there.”

That last part — “you’re outta there” — was said in a way that seemingly mimicked the Jets choosing to release him. The front office had just re-signed Johnson on March 23, prior to his injury.

“I was like, damn,” Johnson voiced in disbelief. “But at the end of the day, I know I’m going to be alright, I know God got my back. And just keep going forward, man.”

“That’s my little ice barrel talk of the day,” the ball carrier concluded. The candid video currently has over 730 likes and counting.

The video’s caption also read: “Run Your Race At Your Pace. The end goal isn’t Be All, End All. It’s the continuous desire to grow every day. Everything happens for you. Show the Gratitude for the life you live, the life that you have. It can always be worse and anything I’ve learned from this recovery process is the unwavering belief in myself and my abilities. Came home for camp Saturday, and thought this was a great opportunity to test out my new @icebarrel Appreciate y’all listening to my rant.”

Jets Replace Ty Johnson With 2 Rookies After Injury

Breece Hall, Michael Carter and Zonovan Knight headline the Jets running back room, but youth is now filling out the back end after Johnson’s unfortunate turn of events.

First, the organization drafted Pittsburgh half-back and kick returner Israel Abanikanda — a player with a lot of similarities to Johnson. The rookie is more of a home run threat than Johnson, but both offer change of pace, burst, special teams prowess and some ability as a receiver.

At Pitt, Abanikanda had 1,577 scrimmage yards in 2022 with 21 total touchdowns and 228 return yards.

The other addition is undrafted USC prospect Travis Dye. NFL Draft Buzz called Dye a “natural playmaker” with a “naturally low center of gravity and knows how to use it to his advantage.” Among his weaknesses were a lack of overwhelming speed and athleticism, as well as a shakiness in pass protection.

Dye suffered a season-ending leg injury in November of 2022, and is presumably still recovering to some extent.

The pair of rookies should be able to adequately fill the RB4 void left by Johnson, who carried the ball 30 times for 160 yards in 2022 with one touchdown and 88 receiving yards. He also returned three kickoffs and logged 192 snaps on special teams (appearing in all 17 games).

Jets Teammates Comment on Ty Johnson’s Instagram Confessional

Several Jets teammates reacted to Johnson’s eye-opening social media confessional in the comment section.

“Real spill ???,” wrote NYJ defensive back Michael Carter II.

Fellow core special teamer Ashtyn Davis just posted a “?” emoji.

“Keep going bro????,” pass rush

And finally, former Jets teammate Kai Nacua replied with a “?” emoji, which represents the heart organ and some pretty clear symbolism.

• Sympathy 1

This does sound like a bit of a raw deal for Johnson.

Teams want players to be in peak physical shape, and players can't always be at the facility working out.

If Aaron Rodgers got injured when he wasn't at a team facility, would the Jets treat him the same way?

I get why teams enforce the NFI rules if a guy gets injured doing something stupid in the offseason, but it sounds like Johnson was just trying to stay in shape.

It's a harsh business.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He got a Maryland college education, and several millions of dollars in NFL salaries so far for being a RB.

I think being a RB has paid off pretty well for him. 

Fact is he was likely being cut regardless of this injury, because we needed better play at RB than he could provide.

He tore his pec off and who knows what else.  He’s years behind starting his other career.   I think it’s debatable if it’s worth it.  

Dollars wise, he’s ahead.   But depending on what you value it’s still up for debate if it’s been worth it.  

How much does the average RB walk away with in the bank?  I suspect it’s less than we think. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

This does sound like a bit of a raw deal for Johnson.

Teams want players to be in peak physical shape, and players can't always be at the facility working out.

If Aaron Rodgers got injured when he wasn't at a team facility, would the Jets treat him the same way?

I get why teams enforce the NFI rules if a guy gets injured doing something stupid in the offseason, but it sounds like Johnson was just trying to stay in shape.

It's a harsh business.

I’m gonna guess, no, they wouldn’t treat the future HOF QB, the most important position on the team with the most talent, the same as a 4th string running back. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you think a free education at a great school and millions of dollars is "debatable" worth.....

The only "value" from employment is compensation.  

But more, he gets/got to play a game.  He's not cleaning sh*t, or sitting in a cube all day.

Go look at his contracts history, he's done just fine.  More money than most of us see in a lifetime of labor.

Please spare me the "oh won't someone think of the poor unfairly treated players" routine.

He’s not a victim.  He made a choice most would make.  

Can I damage some of your nerves and and take your cartilage for a couple million?  Throw in a bunch of repetitive head hits?

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Players should negotiate hard for every dollar they can get. It’s GM’s job to manage the cap. Players shouldn’t worry a bit about that. Instruct your agents to put the pedal to the metal.

Because at age 24 or whatever with a college degree he probably doesn't get without football, Johnson will never work another day in his life?  I get it that a guy like Ty Johnson should try to maximize his earning power, but what was he going to do?  Hold out in his second season?

The guys that you are talking about - the players that can negotiate for second contracts for big money are set for life whether they get $30 or $40 or $50 or $100 million.   So cry me a river.  

He’s 26 years old and has banked $3.2 million dollars despite never challenging for a RB1 job. I’m sure it sucks to be a RB and get cut, but maybe just rehab as best you can and try to bank another mil from some team later in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because at age 24 or whatever with a college degree he probably doesn't get without football, Johnson will never work another day in his life?  I get it that a guy like Ty Johnson should try to maximize his earning power, but what was he going to do?  Hold out in his second season?

The guys that you are talking about - the players that can negotiate for second contracts for big money are set for life whether they get $30 or $40 or $50 or $100 million.   So cry me a river.  

Talk about missing the point. Actually not even missing the point, but missing the English.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

If you think a free education at a great school and millions of dollars is "debatable" worth.....

But more, he gets/got to play a game.  He's not cleaning sh*t, or sitting in a cube all day.

Go look at his contracts history, he's done just fine.  More money than most of us see in a lifetime of labor.

Please spare me the "oh won't someone think of the poor unfairly treated players" routine.

I’m not saying he’s had a raw deal in life, just saying teams act in their own best interest and so should players. “Hometown discount” is for suckers — especially when you consider the team let you get to the end of your contract without extending you for long-term security once that becomes a topic. The only exception is cases where the guy has already made generational wealth and wants to get a ring to maximize his post-playing bona fides.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

He tore his pec off and who knows what else.  He’s years behind starting his other career.   I think it’s debatable if it’s worth it.  

Dollars wise, he’s ahead.   But depending on what you value it’s still up for debate if it’s been worth it.  

How much does the average RB walk away with in the bank?  I suspect it’s less than we think. 

https://overthecap.com/player/ty-johnson/7977

Career Earnings: $3,232,556

Doubtful he can retire on that at the age of 25 but is his career over or just his time with the Jets?  

What I can't figure out is why would he get surgery he didn't want if he didn't have some guaranteed money (even a guaranteed injury settlement) from the Jets?  Something isn't quite making sense to me yet.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Haha, Hal is hysterical. Dude got loan-free education, couple milly, got to play the game he loves at highest level  and Hal thinks it’s a rough deal?. I think Hal owns JetBlue. , 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Haha, Hal is hysterical. Dude got loan-free education, couple milly, got to play the game he loves at highest level  and Hal thinks it’s a rough deal?. I think Hal owns JetBlue. , 

Homeless people think you’re a greedy, ungrateful turd when we complain about getting screwed over at work.

The salary doesn’t matter, that’s relative.

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

Homeless people think you’re a greedy, ungrateful turd when we complain about getting screwed over at work.

I’ve been self employed for 30 year, I got no one to blame but myself and my genetic predisposition to taking 3-4 hour lunches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Too bad for Johnson. Hard to say if him being cut lead to the jets drafting Izzy. But the thing is, if he was injured, would that have caused him to be cut anyway? He got his injury fixed presumably to keep playing. Now he can possibly latch onto another team or possibly rejoin the jets.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

https://overthecap.com/player/ty-johnson/7977

Career Earnings: $3,232,556

Doubtful he can retire on that at the age of 25 but is his career over or just his time with the Jets?  

What I can't figure out is why would he get surgery he didn't want if he didn't have some guaranteed money (even a guaranteed injury settlement) from the Jets?  Something isn't quite making sense to me yet.

He’s going to be 26 soon.  He can draw himself a $100,000 a year salary for 20 years and still have over a mil banked for retirement.  
You set that well off for your retirement, never  mind you  could easily adjust the yearly pay outs to $75,000 and have another $500,000 banked.  I agree with players but don’t get riled up if they can’t retire with $4M and live off it,  I know I would have been able

Wasnt he a FA?  He had no guaranteed money.  No contract.  Players under contract are generally protected when injured

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Most homeless people are mentally ill or substance abusers (or both).

I'm not overly worried what they think.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Up to a point.  Past that point, lol, no.

• More Ugh 1

11 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Well since college, in 4 yrs, he's made $3.3 million.  What he walked away with at age 25 is up to him...after taxes of course.

But I don't know too many 25 yo's who made over 3 million in 4 yrs.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Most homeless people are mentally ill or substance abusers (or both).

I'm not overly worried what they think.

Up to a point.  Past that point, lol, no.

Ok then guys who just got laid off. Come on man it’s a cheap trick to focus on the specific and pretend you didn’t understand the overall point. Playing dumb doesn’t suit you — we all know you know what you’re doing :) 

The right to be dissatisfied isn’t reserved for only the absolutely most downtrodden. Otherwise no one can complain unless they’re literally starving. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Well since college, in 4 yrs, he's made $3.3 million.  What he walked away with at age 25 is up to him...after taxes of course.

But I don't know too many 25 yo's who made over 3 million in 4 yrs.

I heard a clip of Aryan Foster’s  description of his injuries and saying it wasn’t worth it. He wishes he was a scientist instead.  I thought it was BS and said what you are saying at the time I heard the interview.  

But after I’ve thought about it for another year a few times, I’m not sure it’s worth it to play running back in the NFL.  More money doesn’t = happiness, but a collection of life altering injuries will have an impact on happiness.  

A career as a scientist would pay the bills and being healthy would probably be a better for many people.