Could Carl Lawson Salary cut be First of Several Moves for Gang Green?

Carl Lawson

As multiple outlets have reported since yesterday, New York Jets defensive end Carl Lawson agreed to take a pay cut for the upcoming 2023 season.  It will be a lower total dollar amount for Lawson who will get more guaranteed cash in the re-worked deal.  Could this be the first of several moves for the Jets?

Jets’ Carl Lawson restructures deal, takes pay cut | How helps the Jets now, the impact on Lawson’s future, and what it means (or doesn’t) for getting a Quinnen Williams extension done. https://t.co/vByvnwydcm

— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) May 18, 2023

Presumably, this is the Jets getting to work on creating cap space to get deals wrapped up with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and eventually defensive tackle Quinnen Williams.  Is Corey Davis and his $10 million salary up next on the chopping block?

With the re-worked deal, the Jets added multiple voidable years to Lawson’s contract while getting him to reduce his salary by $6 million this season.  In total, it gives the Jets over $12 million in cap relief for this season.

Last season, Lawson’s second with the team, he came back from injury and picked up 33 tackles, 24 quarterback hits and seven sacks.

The post Could Carl Lawson Salary cut be First of Several Moves for Gang Green? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

The Jets need to find about $25-30MM in cap if the want to get $15-20MM on Rodgers this year and sign Quinnen.

After the re-work of Lawson, they should have enough to sign the draft picks and maybe $10MM to allow for in season moves due to injuries.  So, by necessity, I think the answer is yes.  Davis, Tomlinson, Whitehead. Ashtyn Davis and others can expect a call.

1 hour ago, Flashlite80 said:

The Jets need to find about $25-30MM in cap if the want to get $15-20MM on Rodgers this year and sign Quinnen.

After the re-work of Lawson, they should have enough to sign the draft picks and maybe $10MM to allow for in season moves due to injuries.  So, by necessity, I think the answer is yes.  Davis, Tomlinson, Whitehead. Ashtyn Davis and others can expect a call.

@pointman

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Jets need to clear as much cap room as possible from 23’ and 24’ just to do something with AR’s 100Million. I have no idea how they are resigning Q or anybody else next year. Hated the deal.Packers got all the picks they wanted and took none of the money!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Flashlite80 said:

Quinnen’s cap number for the season is likely to drop when his extension is done. Rodgers deal might have to wait until after the summer cut downs, when they have a better idea of exactly how much room they have. 

10 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Jordan Whitehead at $10 mill sticks out like a sore thumb

Yes, but so does the $3M of that which would end up a dead money hit by cutting him.

Only way to "restructure" would be to extend him.  I don't think that would be the right call.  Probably would rather just let him come off the books as a FA after the season.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Quinnen’s cap number for the season is likely to drop when his extension is done. Rodgers deal might have to wait until after the summer cut downs, when they have a better idea of exactly how much room they have. 

Can’t they extend Rodgers through 2025 even though there is no way he plays that long to give them 3 years to spread the cash?

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can’t they extend Rodgers through 2025 even though there is no way he plays that long to give them 3 years to spread the cash?

Yeah, there will definitely be void years involved when all is said and done, but I think they’ll try to squeeze as much as they can into this year as possible. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

They can, but if you spread the 100+M over three years and he retires after 24' you are looking at over 30 Million in dead cap money in 25" and no QB.

4 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

They can, but if you spread the 100+M over three years and he retires after 24' you are looking at over 30 Million in dead cap money in 25" and no QB.

Yeah, I realize that. All remaining will accelerate the season after he retires. Which is why I suggested a contract through 2025 and not 2030. But when he retires we'll be resetting at QB anyway. This is a way to clear up more space for our "all-in" 2 year window. And I expect them to do it or something like it.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, but so does the $3M of that which would end up a dead money hit by cutting him.

Only way to "restructure" would be to extend him.  I don't think that would be the right call.  Probably would rather just let him come off the books as a FA after the season.

Three mil cap hit to save 7.25 mil is very doable.

I think Joe bleeds the clock, and then restructures him