NFL's top 10 most complete teams for 2023 season

NFL's top 10 most complete teams for 2023 season

Published: May 22, 2023 at 12:08 PM
Eric Edholm - Lead Draft Writer

The offseason rolls along, and there will be a handful of recognizable names that change places between now and training camp. But for the most part, a lot of the team-building hay is in the barn with free agency having slowed to a crawl and the 2023 NFL Draft now in the rearview mirror.

If it feels like I played things safely here -- picking nine playoff entrants from last season for my ranking of the most complete NFL rosters right now -- well, guilty as charged. I just couldn't quite pull the trigger on promoting a sexy, up-and-coming team such as the Lions or Dolphins, although I did strongly consider the sleeper Browns for the final slot.

Those three might not have escaped the cutting-room floor, but the following 10 teams -- the ones with the most talent, the best depth and the fewest remaining question marks -- did. Until further notice, I think they're the best of the best, top to bottom.

Rank
Rank    8    New York Jets

The addition of Aaron Rodgers certainly comes with risk, and it's nowhere close to a long-term solution. But for the time being, there's no other reasonable stance than to assume that Rodgers is a significant upgrade over what Zach Wilson, Joe Flacco, Mike White and Chris Streveler contributed to one of the NFL's lowest-scoring offenses a year ago. That move alone doesn't entirely fix the offense, but there's hope that their lingering issues can be minimized now. The offensive line has competitions at center and right tackle that need sorting out, but the Jets at least appear to have capable bodies to fight for those jobs, plus a few good pieces.

Wide receiver isn't entirely sorted out, but there was a big depth-chart alteration with the signings of Rodgers' guys (Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb), plus underneath weapon Mecole Hardman. It might be a deep enough group that Denzel Mims and/or Corey Davis could be August trade pieces. Tight end appears pretty set, too, even if it's not a thrilling group yet.Could the Jets add a veteran running back? Sure. They have youth with Breece Hall, Michael Carter, rookie Israel Abanikanda and Zonovan Knight -- all 24 years old or younger -- but Hall is returning from a torn ACL, and there might not be a true horse behind him. That's our only minor quibble. 

Defensively, the Jets appear pretty well stocked on the edge and at cornerback, but they're perhaps a bit less so at defensive tackle, linebacker and safety. The first-round selection of Will McDonald IV was a surprise, but it gives Robert Saleh a deep well of pass rushers to mix and match.None of their thinner position groups are huge concerns, although we'd be a bit shocked if the Jets didn't add another defensive tackle -- they signed veterans Al Woods and Quinton Jefferson in free agency but found zero in the draft. They could also add more veteran blood at linebacker, such as reprising Kwon Alexander to run it back next season.

All told, though, general manager Joe Douglas has revamped this roster quite well over the past few years. Now we'll find out if he's finally found the (shorter-term) answer at quarterback that Gang Green's long sought.

rest of above article  >  https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-10-most-complete-teams-for-2023-season

• Upvote 2