Rumor: Corey Davis/CJ Mosley could be restructured, traded or cut.

3 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

The Randall Cobb move was made because Aaron loves him, but also for Corey Davis insurance, in case they aren’t able to obtain a better WR.  Currently the WR room, beyond Wilson and Lazard, is crowded and lacking of talent. 

I think Davis is a fairly average WR3 and good WR4. I was hoping we’d get one more number 1-2 caliber receiver and I hope we still do. It’s time to push the chips in. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Just sharing some information I was made aware of this evening. Corey Davis being in danger of being cut or traded isn’t new news. But, Robert Saleh has said time and again, he will be on the Jets roster in 2023. This is very likely not going to happen. Corey Davis should be gone and soon. There is a slight chance he gets traded for a later round draft pick but it’s more likely he gets cut and the Jets gain the cap space to make another move for a veteran, higher tier WR. 

And another move might involve CJ Mosely. 

It is believed that CJ has a lot of value in the trade market and Jets brass realize his value and rating is severely exaggerated. He was often times burned on RB/TE explosive plays in 2022 and he always seems to be one step slow, chasing down a player. The Jets defense, as a whole, was in the bottom third in the NFL, in explosive plays. CJ is a big reason why. CJ has a 17 million cap savings, post June 1st, either by trade or cut. It is believed the Jets have asked for a restructure similar to Carl Lawson, and CJ has refused, to date.

It is believed there are several teams interested in CJ. The Jets are still hoping to get him to restructure post June 1st. But if he doesn’t, he is likely gone. It is possible the Jets work out a deal for a draft pick or another player or the lesser likely scenario is they simply cut him and trade for a WR and/or bring in a younger, quicker LB. The Jets defense is built on its D-line rotation, top CBs, and hybrid LB/S with speed and coverage ability. Neither of which is possessed by CJ. Even his high tackle numbers in 2022 were overrated. His motor is just not what it was. 

Although trading a highly regarded veteran LB seems like a bad idea for a win now team, it is believed the Jets don’t think Mosely is worth a 21 million cap hit and the amount of talent they can bring in, to replace him, is money better spent. 

Although things can change over the next few months, like a restructure, it is more likely both guys are traded or cut. 

I am not a guy that is going to break a story like this, out of nowhere. You can choose to believe it or not. Although it might not look like a smart move, to part ways with Mosely, less so for Davis, the Jets need flexibility to bring in another top tier WR for Aaron Rodgers and a LB that fits in with the defensive mindset, along with finalizing a contract extension for Quinnen Williams and an Aaron Rodgers contract restructure. 

Personally, I hope they restructure Mosely. His leadership on the defense, has got to mean something. I don’t really care, either way, in regards to Corey Davis. He is easily replaceable at his cap hit and everyone is learning a new offense. It’s not like he has a leg up on a better veteran WR.

Might you know some "veteran, higher tier WRs" that could be potentially obtained and/or traded for?

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Might you know some "veteran, higher tier WRs" that could be potentially obtained and/or traded for?

This isn’t new information but the big names are Davante Adams, Mike Evans, and Deandre Hopkins. Adams being the best match and best player, of all of them, might require a larger trade including Quinnen Williams. I personally hope that does not happen. I think Q is the key to our defense and worthy of an extension.

Apparently Hopkins doesn’t want to play here.  That’s fine. I am not his biggest fan, but clearly he wants out.  Mike Evans and to a lesser extent, Chris Godwin, should want out of Tampa, but not sure the Jets want to trade higher picks for either player.  

Davante Adams would be a wild move. He obviously has a great relationship with Aaron Rodgers and knows the offense.  Not sure we can obtain him without a large return, we don’t have a 2024 1st round pick available to trade for him and he is worth at least that.  So it’s likely a player for player move, if it is going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s been rumored with Mosely every offseason that he’s been on the team.

They restructured him last offseason. Obviously his 21 million cap number this coming season was always going to be a restructure possibility post June 1, but the inability to agree on a restructure thus far, means a likely trade or cut. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

They restructured him last offseason. Obviously his 21 million cap number this coming season was always going to be a restructure possibility post June 1, but the inability to agree on a restructure thus far, means a likely trade or cut. 

Opinions are fine. That’s what this forum is for. I just roll my eyes though whenever we get another so called “source” passing his off as inside information.

Like I said two posts back, all of this has been rumored for a while, so if like in your title, either is restructured, traded or cut, it’s nothing that will shock anyone.

It’s just  like me starting a thread saying I heard tonight that “the Jets are concerned about Becton staying healthy all year”… something we all know, but I said it on a message board, so if it happens I’m obviously an insider, right?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

Upgrading WR for a legit weapon via cutting / trading Davis is an absolute no-brainer.

I would make a committed effort to restructure Mosley though.

They don’t have an heir apparent to be the “QB of the defense”, which is seems like a fairly important role for a “win now” team, Mosley’s diminished juice and advanced age not withstanding.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jdeet said:

This isn’t new information but the big names are Davante Adams, Mike Evans, and Deandre Hopkins. Adams being the best match and best player, of all of them, might require a larger trade including Quinnen Williams. I personally hope that does not happen. I think Q is the key to our defense and worthy of an extension.

Apparently Hopkins doesn’t want to play here.  That’s fine. I am not his biggest fan, but clearly he wants out.  Mike Evans and to a lesser extent, Chris Godwin, should want out of Tampa, but not sure the Jets want to trade higher picks for either player.  

Davante Adams would be a wild move. He obviously has a great relationship with Aaron Rodgers and knows the offense.  Not sure we can obtain him without a large return, we don’t have a 2024 1st round pick available to trade for him and he is worth at least that.  So it’s likely a player for player move, if it is going to happen. 

Adams feels like a pipe dream.  Raiders’ dead money would be too much for them to stomach.

Godwin would fit this offense like a glove though.  They need a money man to fill the slot machine role.

Seems like Evans is slowing down / declining or at least nearing that precipice where you know his best days are behind him.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’d still take Mike Evans a million times over Corey Davis, but Godwin would fill a bigger need.

22 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Did you take the 3 1/2 minutes of your precious time, to actually read the post, or is the heading, all you had time for? Just curious. Oh wait, everyone knows your answer, so don't bother. Posting something everyone is possibly aware of, but are not SURE of, is a complete waste of time and not appropriate for your message board.

I look forward to your next post. I will be sure not to read it.

season 4 skill crane GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Adams feels like a pipe dream.  Raiders’ dead money would be too much for them to stomach.

Godwin would fit this offense like a glove though.  They need a money man to fill the slot machine role.

Seems like Evans is slowing down / declining or at least nearing that precipice where you know his best days are behind him.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’d still take Mike Evans a million times over Corey Davis, but Godwin would fill a bigger need.

Agreed on Godwin. Though he gets injured a lot. 

I think getting rid of both guys and replacing them with better players is an obvious no-brainer. Though I doubt Mosley is tradable with that salary. He is more of a salary dump, than anything else.

You will learn about the ones to ignore here. It's pretty obvious. Though I don't get your obsession with @Jetsfan80. He's a dimwit. Respectfully. Though I havent ignored him yet and I don't know why. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I was pushing Evans before the draft his contract was very team friendly and he would've been cutable after the 2024 season if his play declined. But the Bucs just restructured him and now I don't think they can move him due to dead cap. I think if they were considering to move him, they would've done so without restructuring him and letting his new team sort that out. IMHO.

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

That's uncalled for. Not respectfully.

Hasn’t society already established you can’t just say “respectfully” before dropping any insult you want?  lol.

That guy’s time is short here, I imagine.  He’ll have to find somewhere else to whine about Jets fans 24/7.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hasn’t society already established you can’t just say “respectfully” before dropping any insult you want?  lol.

That guy’s time is short here, I imagine.  He’ll have to find somewhere else to whine about Jets fans 24/7.

When I first read it I assumed it had to just be some good natured chops busting. Then I read the poster name.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’s somehow lasted well past his expiration date already 80. He’s the Ashyton Davis of JN.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I just came here to share some inside information I heard this morning.

The Jets have decided to go with Aaron Rodgers as their starting QB this season. A lot of you might have thought this could happen, but thanks to me you now know it is in fact going to happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s been rumored with Mosely every offseason that he’s been on the team.

This isn’t even a little bit true.

Fan wishes, yes — myself in particular. But there’s been not one hint of a prior rumor that Mosley’s roster spot was in danger (let alone that anyone was foolish enough to be interested in trading for him at a $17MM salary he refuses to reduce).

This is the very first I’ve seen of it in all Mosley’s years with the team & am finally glad to see it. If he’s not the single most overrated defender in the league, he’s not far off from that honor.

Hopefully he’s not restructured and is just cut/traded, but I’ll believe that when I see it because this is also the first time there’s been even a hint of the team thinking his bark is more than his bite on the field. Previously it’d been nothing but praise for the guy Saleh never took off the field.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Jdeet said:

The Randall Cobb move was made because Aaron loves him, but also for Corey Davis insurance, in case they aren’t able to obtain a better WR.  Currently the WR room, beyond Wilson and Lazard, is crowded and lacking of talent. 

randall cobb is awful.  he wasn't brought in as anything other than to make rodgers comfortable.  relying on him as WR 3 would be disastrous. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I just came here to share some inside information I heard this morning.

The Jets have decided to go with Aaron Rodgers as their starting QB this season. A lot of you might have thought this could happen, but thanks to me you now know it is in fact going to happen. 

Source: Trust me bro!

Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Did you take the 3 1/2 minutes of your precious time, to actually read the post, or is the heading, all you had time for? Just curious. Oh wait, everyone knows your answer, so don't bother. Posting something everyone is possibly aware of, but are not SURE of, is a complete waste of time and not appropriate for your message board.

I look forward to your next post. I will be sure not to read it.

So your saying we should all be sure of this? Thanks JD.