Rumor: Corey Davis/CJ Mosley could be restructured, traded or cut.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had a temper tantrum last offseason when they restructured him because they were pushing a lot of money into future years for a declining player at a low-value position. That said, I dislike the idea of trying to dump him now with no viable replacement in a chips-all-in season. It’s just a sunk cost, but for a player who seems to be a respected leader. I’m more intrigued by the idea of moving Davis with the intent of upgrading that position. The likely suspect is Hopkins, but you have to think both Mike Evans and Davante end up on the block at some point this summer. Not sure how they’d peel Davante away since their 24 first is tied up in the Rodgers deal, but if Douglas is looking to free up significant money to take a shot on a receiver?

Agree with this. Mosley has clearly lost a step (his best years for us would have been 2019 and 2020 when he played *checks notes* 5 quarters of football) but he’s also the obvious leader of the defense and we have nothing else at linebacker.

Totally fine with moving off Davis if the plan is to upgrade.

• Upvote 3

I would have thought that Davis would have been moved already if that was going to happen. I think there are issues with the WRs everyone wants. Mike Evans just got restructured and is probably not getting moved, Adams might get moved after June 1 but will likely be too expensive (I mean expensive to acquire in a trade) for the Jets, and Hopkins has already suggested he's not interested in coming here. 

Mosley isn't going anywhere, IMO. He's a veteran leader on a youngish team looking to compete for a title. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had a temper tantrum last offseason when they restructured him because they were pushing a lot of money into future years for a declining player at a low-value position. That said, I dislike the idea of trying to dump him now with no viable replacement in a chips-all-in season. It’s just a sunk cost, but for a player who seems to be a respected leader. I’m more intrigued by the idea of moving Davis with the intent of upgrading that position. The likely suspect is Hopkins, but you have to think both Mike Evans and Davante end up on the block at some point this summer. Not sure how they’d peel Davante away since their 24 first is tied up in the Rodgers deal, but if Douglas is looking to free up significant money to take a shot on a receiver?

I do not believe Adams is  reality for anyone unless it gets real bad in Las Vegas.

They had a shot to unload him when the rumblings first started.

His Salaries fully guaranteed on March 17 for $43 Million total.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Just sharing some information I was made aware of this evening. Corey Davis being in danger of being cut or traded isn’t new news. But, Robert Saleh has said time and again, he will be on the Jets roster in 2023. This is very likely not going to happen. Corey Davis should be gone and soon. There is a slight chance he gets traded for a later round draft pick but it’s more likely he gets cut and the Jets gain the cap space to make another move for a veteran, higher tier WR. 

And another move might involve CJ Mosely. 

It is believed that CJ has a lot of value in the trade market and Jets brass realize his value and rating is severely exaggerated. He was often times burned on RB/TE explosive plays in 2022 and he always seems to be one step slow, chasing down a player. The Jets defense, as a whole, was in the bottom third in the NFL, in explosive plays. CJ is a big reason why. CJ has a 17 million cap savings, post June 1st, either by trade or cut. It is believed the Jets have asked for a restructure similar to Carl Lawson, and CJ has refused, to date.

It is believed there are several teams interested in CJ. The Jets are still hoping to get him to restructure post June 1st. But if he doesn’t, he is likely gone. It is possible the Jets work out a deal for a draft pick or another player or the lesser likely scenario is they simply cut him and trade for a WR and/or bring in a younger, quicker LB. The Jets defense is built on its D-line rotation, top CBs, and hybrid LB/S with speed and coverage ability. Neither of which is possessed by CJ. Even his high tackle numbers in 2022 were overrated. His motor is just not what it was. 

Although trading a highly regarded veteran LB seems like a bad idea for a win now team, it is believed the Jets don’t think Mosely is worth a 21 million cap hit and the amount of talent they can bring in, to replace him, is money better spent. 

Although things can change over the next few months, like a restructure, it is more likely both guys are traded or cut. 

I am not a guy that is going to break a story like this, out of nowhere. You can choose to believe it or not. Although it might not look like a smart move, to part ways with Mosely, less so for Davis, the Jets need flexibility to bring in another top tier WR for Aaron Rodgers and a LB that fits in with the defensive mindset, along with finalizing a contract extension for Quinnen Williams and an Aaron Rodgers contract restructure. 

Personally, I hope they restructure Mosely. His leadership on the defense, has got to mean something. I don’t really care, either way, in regards to Corey Davis. He is easily replaceable at his cap hit and everyone is learning a new offense. It’s not like he has a leg up on a better veteran WR.

Could you tell us where you got this rumor from? Are you saying you have a source or sources within the organization or did incarcerated bob post something?

• Upvote 1

CJ contract is just such a disaster. If we do trade/cut him this year does anyone know the cap implications in the future? His contract hits for 2024-2026 are $10.4mm, $5.9mm and $3mm. I'm guessing those just stay on the books no matter what? (25 & 26 are void years). If those stay I think they just eat the contract this year b/c they won't get anything for him and the cap savings of ~$6.5mm for 2023 will be reduced assuming they bring in at least one FA LB (Kwon?). 

Corey Davis makes more sense contractually - but I think a pay cut is more likely. Staff seems to like Corey and while he has been a disappointment I still think he is the third best WR on the team and you just brought in AR are you really going to start taking away weapons? The free agent WRs are bleak. You're looking at the Breshad Perrimans and N'Keal Harrys of the NFL world - so there isn't any feasible way to replace CD if he is moved. 

I think CJ is on the team this year with 95%+ certainty. Corey Davis (assuming he doesn't take a pay cut) I can only see not being on this team if there is a surprise WR cut or a UDFA (or maybe even Mims) shows out in TC. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jdeet said:

The Randall Cobb move was made because Aaron loves him, but also for Corey Davis insurance, in case they aren’t able to obtain a better WR.  Currently the WR room, beyond Wilson and Lazard, is crowded and lacking of talent. 

This 1000% 

Mosley is arguably the most overpaid player in the NFL, but has the benefit of having the right kind of hype that those not paying attention think he's far better than he is, assuming he's a guy that he hasn't actually been in over 4 years.  He was a complete liability at the team's weakest non-QB position last year and is responsible for one of the dumbest plays you'll ever see, in no more than a desperate attempt to make a highlight reel rather than actually doing his job.  If there is a significant market for him out there, then the Jets should absolutely accept an offer.  This team may be in a win-now mode, but there's far better that could be done with that money today.

I actually think Davis has more value to the Jets this year than Mosley.  The former having been talked about as the goner for much longer, but the only reason they would consider retaining the latter would be if JD has absolutely no confidence in his own decisions at the position to date.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, hawk said:

I do not believe Adams is  reality for anyone unless it gets real bad in Las Vegas.

They had a shot to unload him when the rumblings first started.

His Salaries fully guaranteed on March 17 for $43 Million total.

Counterpoint: the Raiders might be soft-tanking for Caleb Williams and Adams is going to shoot his way out of there after a few live practices with Jimmy. Cap-wise, trading Adams would cost the Raiders $8 mil in dead cap this year, and $25 mil next year, so you’d have to pay the Raiders extra because they’re going to eat that money. BUT, if you’re the Jets, Adams’ cap hit this year would be $6 million, ~$25(?) mil next year, and you can bail on the contract post-24 when Rodgers presumably leaves. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

Mosley was second team all pro last season.  Some of you are out of your minds.  I get his contract is bloated and he has flaws but the rhetoric on here about how bad he is is ridiculous.

He is indeed terribly slow. And he whiffed on so many plays. He made some great plays too.  The honest truth is that CJ is wildly inconsistent and should not be paid like a top tier LB.  He is not up there and probably never really was. 

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Adams feels like a pipe dream.  Raiders’ dead money would be too much for them to stomach.

Godwin would fit this offense like a glove though.  They need a money man to fill the slot machine role.

Seems like Evans is slowing down / declining or at least nearing that precipice where you know his best days are behind him.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’d still take Mike Evans a million times over Corey Davis, but Godwin would fill a bigger need.

Hunter Renfrow one of the best slot receiver in the game  .   ( third down and Renfrow ) The Raiders most likely are trading him in the next couple of days .  It would kill me to see him on the Jets.  I think it is mistake to trade him, but I don’t get a say what they do.      He’s good as gone , and don’t want to see him traded to New Orleans  either . 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Or, they just play the game of Football as is....

dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ Mosley isn’t going anywhere based on his contract. I also think we stay where we are at wide receiver as well. Pretty sure coaching staff expects all the receivers to play better than last year based on the moderate improvement at QB. I guess we will see. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Hunter Renfrow one of the best slot receiver in the game  .   ( third down and Renfrow ) The Raiders most likely are trading him in the next couple of days .  It would kill me to see him on the Jets.  I think it is mistake to trade him, but I don’t get a say what they do.      He’s good as gone , and don’t want to see him traded to New Orleans  either . 

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/platform/amp/2023/5/23/23728722/raiders-news-hunter-renfrow-trade-june-1

hmmmmm…. 🤔

I WOULD LOVE THIS TBH

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe it's just me, but for a team that already has a clear WR1 I don't know how imperative it is to add an Adams or Evans (welcome as they'd be in the huddle).

On the other hand if it makes them that much more impossible to defend, because no one has two corners who can cover both Wilson and an Adams/Evans type both (plus Lazard, plus a TE) -- I think the points scored more than make up for the defensive points Mosley saves over his replacement. I don't think he's at all hard to replace, even after June 1st. The "leadership" role becomes less valuable with each passing season since these young guys got drafted. Somehow the Eagles have been able to get by with an UDFA who's been starting since his 2nd season. $17MM for Mosley is preposterous. I'm not convinced he's worth even half that, other than for the sake of continuity.

FFS they should've outbid the $5.5MM one-year deal Seattle gave to Bobby Wagner. Mosley is worth literally more than triple Bobby Wagner? In what universe? He was a very cheap upgrade I really wanted them to sign. Better player, also provides that gooey center of veteran leadershipitudeness, and a fraction of CJM's cost. I thought that was a no-brainer, unless he just had his heart set on returning to Seattle.

I'd rather they dump him and plop Kwon Alexander at MLB for $3MM ($14MM net savings to use elsewhere), and he doesn't need to be on the field for 100% of the snaps like Saleh stupidly did with CJM. Plus/or by June 1st more players will be available as FAs or via trade.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Opinions are fine. That’s what this forum is for. I just roll my eyes though whenever we get another so called “source” passing his off as inside information.

Like I said two posts back, all of this has been rumored for a while, so if like in your title, either is restructured, traded or cut, it’s nothing that will shock anyone.

It’s just  like me starting a thread saying I heard tonight that “the Jets are concerned about Becton staying healthy all year”… something we all know, but I said it on a message board, so if it happens I’m obviously an insider, right?

God you are such a ******* pill... Why bother even commenting then... move on to a different thread that you are sure to inject with your 'opinions'

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

CJ Mosley and the Jets can't restructure until September. You can only restructure someone once every 365 days.

This can't be true, for the simple fact that they are restructuring Rodgers for the second time in a season, within months.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Why isn't Whitehead included in this? He wasn't good last year and is due a good amount and can be restructured.

He might be but CJM and Davis are far bigger contracts and could free a lot of money.