Rumor: Corey Davis/CJ Mosley could be restructured, traded or cut.

26 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Hunter Renfrow one of the best slot receiver in the game  .   ( third down and Renfrow ) The Raiders most likely are trading him in the next couple of days .  It would kill me to see him on the Jets.  I think it is mistake to trade him, but I don’t get a say what they do.      He’s good as gone , and don’t want to see him traded to New Orleans  either . 

Sure maybe for a 4th rounder... or trade him straight up for Davis.

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This can't be true, for the simple fact that they are restructuring Rodgers for the second time in a season, within months.

55 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Mosley is arguably the most overpaid player in the NFL, but has the benefit of having the right kind of hype that those not paying attention think he's far better than he is, assuming he's a guy that he hasn't actually been in over 4 years.  He was a complete liability at the team's weakest non-QB position last year and is responsible for one of the dumbest plays you'll ever see, in no more than a desperate attempt to make a highlight reel rather than actually doing his job.  If there is a significant market for him out there, then the Jets should absolutely accept an offer.  This team may be in a win-now mode, but there's far better that could be done with that money today.

I actually think Davis has more more to the Jets this year than Mosley.  The former having been talked about as the goner for much longer, but the only reason they would consider retaining the latter would be if JD has absolutely no confidence in his own decisions at the position to date.

How was he named team MVP in ‘21, team most inspirational player in ‘22 and to the pro bowl in ‘22? Hype ?

opps skeptable you weren’t supposed to be here lol 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

He might be but CJM and Davis are far bigger contracts and could free a lot of money.

Whitehead of cut would free up 7.2mill. Restructure him is more likely... but still could free up a good amount and he's still only 26.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Whitehead of cut would free up 7.2mill. Restructure him is more likely... but still could free up a good amount and he's still only 26.

yes but he isn't getting cut and restructuring him saves 1-2 Mil.... CJM and Davis have opportunity to save 5+ Mil each and Davis cut saves almost 10.

There is a surplus of mediocre talent at WR not so much at S

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

yes but he isn't getting cut and restructuring him saves 1-2 Mil.... CJM and Davis have opportunity to save 5+ Mil each and Davis cut saves almost 10.

There is a surplus of mediocre talent at WR not so much at S

Absolutely. But I don't think we can restructure or cut Davis or Mosley without having something better there.

There's no one better than Mosely on the market. So I see no way he's cut. Maybe restructured when he can early in the season.

Davis is a starting WR for us right now. Can't cut him and start Cobb IMO. If you're cutting, trading Davis... you better be trading for a better WR talent. Which I doubt we're trading more draft assets than what's likely our 1st already next year.

I think The both maybe restructure... but both are Jets this year.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This can't be true, for the simple fact that they are restructuring Rodgers for the second time in a season, within months.

I think they are giving him a new contract, not restructuring. Like the money and years will be different. In a restructure, you'd shift money around to make the cap hits different via bonuses but the value of the contract doesn't change.

That's more of a guess on my part though.

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

In my humble opinion, trading/cutting Corey Davis is a mistake. We're not trading for Adams or Hopkins. Even if the trade comp was reasonable, the cap hit would be double Corey's, so what did we gain (cap wise, which is the driving force)? 

Corey's production has been disappointing. However, in his defense, he's had Rookie/2nd yr Zack Wilson throwing missiles 10 yards over his head for two years. Although Corey WAS on the receiving end of Zack's first 50+ yard heave-hoe to win a game (someone please post a short clip of it!).

Corey was a 1st round draft pick, tall, fast, and one of our best WRs not named Garrett.

I bet if you asked our new GM/HC Rodgers, he'd be 100% in favor of keeping Coery versus just cutting him for cap space. Garrett/Corey/Lazard/Mims/Hardman makes up one of the best WR rooms in the league.

100% this. I really like the value and upside of Corey Davis. I think he's someone you put some faith in this year. 

Not to mention the Packers wanted to trade for him at one point, which to me says that Rodgers wanted to play with him.

• Upvote 2

Source? 

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Just wondering because it seems very odd that Saleh would proclaim that Davis will be on the team and yet now they are looking to cut or trade him. It's not like that proclamation boosts his trade value. 

As far as Mosley, all I have ever heard from Jet brass, like, EVER is that they love Mosley. Sure, I get it, money talks and bullsh*t walks. If they need the cap space to figure out the Rodgers deal and re-sign QW, or bring in a star vet via trade or FA at another position- I get it. If the plan was for him to re-structure and he simply refuses to. Ok. Maybe? Didn't he restructure once already, last year I believe? 

But while he is not worth his salary, he is still the best LB on the team, lmfao. I mean, literally. He is still, probably better than Quincy and his leadership is immeasurable. You know, something you might want in the LB core when making a run for a ring. The other thing is, while he has definitely lost a step and is a liability in coverage, he is otherwise still a very good LB. He has great instincts, he is clutch, he is a superb tackler. So you have to consider who the replacement would be.

Is Sherwood ready? Are we bringing in a FA off the scrap heap and would he be an upgrade? Is bringing in a LB who is marginally better in coverage but not as good in other areas going to positively or negatively impact the defense? Isn't a big part of the ILB role in a Wide Nine to take on RBs while the Interior Linemen penetrate into the backfield?  

Its not always as simple as- this guy's salary is 'A' and we can get 'B+C+D' for the same price. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Opinions are fine. That’s what this forum is for. I just roll my eyes though whenever we get another so called “source” passing his off as inside information.

Like I said two posts back, all of this has been rumored for a while, so if like in your title, either is restructured, traded or cut, it’s nothing that will shock anyone.

It’s just  like me starting a thread saying I heard tonight that “the Jets are concerned about Becton staying healthy all year”… something we all know, but I said it on a message board, so if it happens I’m obviously an insider, right?

A little odd to respond to a post without even reading it, especially considering your strong views on the subject.

I have not read anything substantial about Mosley being cut or traded so that would be entirely new.  Show us a legitimate article or tweet that references a trade or cut.

I’m trying to mentally work through the logic or trading/cutting Corey.

1. On one hand, we’d realize a pure cap saving of approx 10M? which can be used to potentially swing a trade for a more talented guy (Hopkins). Would be on board with this, however, it seems like Hopkins himself has ruled out the Jets.

2. Do any of our WR play special teams? Maybe they looking to give a more versatile young piece a shot. There are some younger guys on the practice squad, UDFA, try out types that have been getting extended looks. Maybe its simply about shoring up specials and being more athletic/versatile.

3. In conjunction with point #2, maybe they use the cap savings on a position of perceived weakness such as LB or FS? At this point, I can see other teams dinking and dunking us to death in the middle of the field which means long drives from opponents which means less time AR and offense is on the field.

4. Maybe they just feel they need the cap space to shoe-horn AR and Quinnen deals in?

Bottom line, lots of reasons to keep him, lots of reasons to move on. I think Mosely is a bit more clear cut. Despite being a great leader and absurdly intelligent player, his current level of athleticism is limiting what we can do defensively.

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  CJ takes a lot of crap from Jets fans, but he's universally thought of as one of the best MLB's in the NFL.  The coaching staff loves him.  He aint going anywhere.  I'd be surprised if Davis is traded.  I've mentioned it a few times, I think he could have a career year w/ Rodgers and this system.  Saleh also was pretty adamant that he was going to be a part of this team.  Unless there is an obvious upgrade and it's not going to break the bank, I dont think he's going anywhere either. 

agree with all of this

4 hours ago, heymangold said:

randall cobb is awful.  he wasn't brought in as anything other than to make rodgers comfortable.  relying on him as WR 3 would be disastrous. 

Randall Cobb should be retired. And so should Aaron Rodgers if we're being honest. 

side note CJ Mosely is terrible. I don't know how this dude made the pro bowl. He might have value in a 3-4 but he's always been a terrible fit in Saleh's 4-3

Corey Davis has no hops 

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Randall Cobb should be retired. And so should Aaron Rodgers if we're being honest. 

side note CJ Mosely is terrible. I don't know how this dude made the pro bowl. He might have value in a 3-4 but he's always been a terrible fit in Saleh's 4-3

Corey Davis has no hops 

Cobb is 32. Then, there's this:

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hasn’t society already established you can’t just say “respectfully” before dropping any insult you want?  lol.

Right up there with “I apologize to anyone who may have been offended.”

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That guy’s time is short here, I imagine.  He’ll have to find somewhere else to whine about Jets fans 24/7.

I already lost the over/under 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

i know he's like a disney villain around here, but there's no way Randall Cobb (or Mecole Hardman) are upgrades over Elijah Moore

I wanted to keep Moore, but to be fair, Cobb doesn't really have to be an upgrade over Moore. With Davis still on the team, Cobb is, at best, our 4th receiving option at the WR position. 

The Jets have replaced Moore, Berrios, and Smith with Lazard, Hardman, and Cobb. So that's the comparison. It's worth noting that Lazard by himself had a considerably more productive year last year than either of Moore's first two years in the league. 

Moore is talented but by no means a sure thing. 

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i know he's like a disney villain around here, but there's no way Randall Cobb (or Mecole Hardman) are upgrades over Elijah Moore

Cobb is a guy that turns 4 targets into 3 catches and 2 first downs a game the last 3 years. That’s his role. I’m fine with it. Hardman is the return guy , sweep and reverse guy. They will also use him in the slot. Neither guy was brought here to replace Moore. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jdeet said:

He was often times burned on RB/TE explosive plays in 2022 and he always seems to be one step slow, chasing down a player.

He cost the Jets the game vs the Lions by being WAYYYYY out of position and a TE beat him easily.

11 hours ago, Jdeet said:

The Randall Cobb move was made because Aaron loves him, but also for Corey Davis insurance, in case they aren’t able to obtain a better WR.  Currently the WR room, beyond Wilson and Lazard, is crowded and lacking of talent. 

A healthy Corey Davis is as good or better than a healthy Lazard.

I would try to restructure Corey as best I could but wouldn't get rid of him unless a clear upgrade opportunity came along that doesn't blow up the Cap and make things like the QW extension and adding some potentially important additional pieces (ex. quality LB depth) more difficult.

• Upvote 1