Rumor: Corey Davis/CJ Mosley could be restructured, traded or cut.

CJ's contract has been an abomination since the minute the pen touched paper. He has no more guaranteed money left, if Douglas can get Mosley for 2 years $17m total, I think I'd be alright with that. I do think there is some value in having a vet player who has been with our team longer than the young bucks. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Wit said:

Mosley was macs best signing. The guy was the heart and soul of some terrible teams. Got to give him credit. I hope he can help us win it all this year and be paid off for his loyalty.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mosley is and was a terrible signing!!  He is easily the worst contract on the Jets roster going on 3 years now, and that's a hard sell given how bad some of our players have been.   Overthecap has him valued at 10 mil/yr this year whereas hes costing us 21 mil.   Frankly, that's a pretty generous valuation (his stats are if anything overinflated).

What I see is a MLB that has lost a step and a half, that can call plays quite well, but is a major liability in pass defense, and is barely passable in run defense (being a consistent step slow).  You get a hard nosed, locker room leader type, that still make a few plays here and there, but should not be paid anywhere near that value given the massive injury risk he represents. 

Cutting him, will not be painful!I  indeed I fully expect it, unless there is a massive concession on his part.

19 minutes ago, hawk said:

In my opinion, the best way this could have been handled was to cut him very early in the process with a handshake agreement that we would match his best offer on the open market. (contingencies for guarantees and such)

I personally agree that we could have upgraded, but it would also sent a message to the locker room that we value you.  

In an outright pay cut or release would have bad optics.

FTR, I would have let him walk and invested in the position.  There were options. Optics be damned.

Best way to handle this was to cut him in March, designating him as a June 1st cut, and outbid Seattle for Bobby Wagner, a vastly superior player at less than half the price. Seattle just re-signed him for $5.5MM. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Best way to handle this was to cut him in March, designating him as a June 1st cut, and outbid Seattle for Bobby Wagner, a vastly superior player at less than half the price. Seattle just re-signed him for $5.5MM. 

Mods ban this spammer.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think what we are seeing from the Jets is a player friendly/ respect approach in all their dealings if the players themselves are high character and/or loyal players. We’ve seen it with the Rodgers negotiations/ we are seeing it with QW. I’m not sure this is the best approach but it appears to be the Jets approach. I would be shocked if the Jets cut Mosley. 

• Upvote 1

Crazy thought on Corey Davis. For his career he is averaging 647 yards per season. If the Jets roll him out as the 4th wide receiver and he comes within 10% of his average season, that would be great!

Just now, Maxman said:

Crazy thought on Corey Davis. For his career he is averaging 647 yards per season. If the Jets roll him out as the 4th wide receiver and he comes within 10% of his average season, that would be great!

not with what we are paying him it wouldn't

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Mods ban this spammer.

image.png.18131d4d178d92a47cda8008afd555

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Corey Davis is the 2nd best receiver on this team and is the starting #2.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Might be true but he is still the 2nd best receiver on this team and will be the starting #2.

Davis is not good.  He’s had 492 and 536 yds receiving last 2 seasons.  In his defense, the worst qb bust ever was throwing to him but those are still bad yardage totals for any full time NFL WR

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Davis is not good.  He’s had 492 and 536 yds receiving last 2 seasons.  In his defense, the worst qb bust ever was throwing to him but those are still bad yardage totals for any full time NFL WR

Again, nowhere in my statement am I saying he is good.  I am just telling you where he ranks on the receivers on this team.

Joe D blew it by not taking JSN.  It was a layup.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Corey Davis is the 2nd best receiver on this team and is the starting #2.

Wilson

Lazard

You can argue that Davis is better than Lazard. But the injury history is a huge concern. Lazard was on the Rodgers list, so he is the # 2 guy.

That said, I don't care they need all hands possible. So whoever is healthy and gets it done, that is fine with me.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wilson

Lazard

You can argue that Davis is better than Lazard. But the injury history is a huge concern. Lazard was on the Rodgers list, so he is the # 2 guy.

That said, I don't care they need all hands possible. So whoever is healthy and gets it done, that is fine with me.

Lazard is a good 3, hes not a 2.  Corey Davis has more talent in his left pinky then Lazard.  There is a reason he was a top 10 pick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Lazard is a good 3, hes not a 2.  Corey Davis has more talent in his left pinky then Lazard.  There is a reason he was a top 10 pick.

What exactly does it mean that he’s a 3 not a 2?

Isn’t 3 the slot WR ie Hardman backed up by Cobb…

How is one defined that has avg’d 11 GP the past 2 yrs? 

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:43 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

There’s a reason Jamarcus Russell was a top 10 pick, too 

And it’s just as relevant to your argument as this is! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Again, nowhere in my statement am I saying he is good.  I am just telling you where he ranks on the receivers on this team.

Joe D blew it by not taking JSN.  It was a layup.

I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with you, but… yes.