R.I.P. Tina Turner

17 minutes ago, Bronx said:

She was great.

Also I’ll never understand the appeal of going to a live show with the singer not singing live, let alone paying heavily for the “privilege” of such stupidity. I know every generation says it when the next one starts to come of age, but I’m sorry the current youth are imbeciles. Also, they need to get off my lawn.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

This is a huge loss to the music world. Yes, times change, tastes change and people evolve. Yet, music is timeless when it is a great piece of music. Tina was a class act to be sorely missed. Goodbye Tina and thank you. Really, thank you for having made life a little more tolerable.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

She was great.

Also I’ll never understand the appeal of going to a live show with the singer not singing live, let alone paying heavily for the “privilege” of such stupidity. I know every generation says it when the next one starts to come of age, but I’m sorry the current youth are imbeciles. Also, they need to get off my lawn.

I think this is kind of misumderstood. Most artists want to sing and play live. In an effort to sound like the recorded music, they might employ backing tracks because there are things you can do in a studio that you can't  do live. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I think this is kind of misumderstood. Most artists want to sing and play live. In an effort to sound like the recorded music, they might employ backing tracks because there are things you can do in a studio that you can't  do live. 

That's stupid. It's celebrity air-band.

It's like if any of the times I saw someone like Clapton live, if he came out and started playing imaginary guitar on a tennis racquet like a 5 year-old. Or if Billy Joel or Elton John played a digital piano that wasn't plugged in, just to make sure they never missed a note. Imagine if Neal Peart unplugged an electric drum set for a live show. Anyone want to pay money to watch any number of great singers from an Aretha to a Steve Perry to a pre-cokehead Whitney to an Ann Wilson lip-sync some pre-recorded track? How ridiculous. 

There are also things they can do live that wouldn't work at all in a studio, including playing off the crowd & improvising. It's not supposed to be note-for-note the same as the studio track. That's the point; otherwise just listen at home or go to a club. 

iirc Madonna started this stupidity in the early 90s. If you're a great - or anyway, popular - singer, then sing. Maybe for some of them it's harder to convincingly use autotune live when they're really belting out a high note. Paying money to watch a famous person lip-sync is the dumbest ***ing thing ever.

Anyway, this great lady was able to dance around like an aerobics instructor for 2 hours and still sing live while barely able to catch her breath. And, not or. She was great.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

She was great.

So true.  Popular music these days has been truly reduced to the lowest common denominator.  Add to that fact that pop hasn't really *changed* in about 25 years (or more?), AI writes all the songs now, and rock music is basically dead, and you have a really sad state of affairs for music.

Now, get off MY lawn.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's stupid. It's celebrity air-band.

It's like if any of the times I saw someone like Clapton live, if he came out and started playing imaginary guitar on a tennis racquet like a 5 year-old. Or if Billy Joel or Elton John played a digital piano that wasn't plugged in, just to make sure they never missed a note. Imagine if Neal Peart unplugged an electric drum set for a live show. Anyone want to pay money to watch any number of great singers from an Aretha to a Steve Perry to a pre-cokehead Whitney to an Ann Wilson lip-sync some pre-recorded track? How ridiculous. 

There are also things they can do live that wouldn't work at all in a studio, including playing off the crowd & improvising. It's not supposed to be note-for-note the same as the studio track. That's the point; otherwise just listen at home or go to a club. 

iirc Madonna started this stupidity in the early 90s. If you're a great - or anyway, popular - singer, then sing. Maybe for some of them it's harder to convincingly use autotune live when they're really belting out a high note. Paying money to watch a famous person lip-sync is the dumbest ***ing thing ever.

Anyway, this great lady was able to dance around like an aerobics instructor for 2 hours and still sing live while barely able to catch her breath. And, not or. She was great.

What I'm referring to are bands like Rush and Like Pink Floyd who don't  lip sync, but use audio tracks to enhance the performance. As far as Modonna, I have seen her twice and I don't  even like the music that much. I went to see the show and she puts on a great one. Amazing dancing and acrobatics. I personally never even thought about the singing, more the spectacle I was witnessing. 

Lastly, you are dead wrong about things that are done live and not done in a studio. Being a musician, you want to sound like recorded music live. Playing live is the most difficult thing there is. 

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

What I'm referring to are bands like Rush and Like Pink Floyd who don't  lip sync, but use audio tracks to enhance the performance. As far as Modonna, I have seen her twice and I don't  even like the music that much. I went to see the show and she puts on a great one. Amazing dancing and acrobatics. I personally never even thought about the singing, more the spectacle I was witnessing. 

Lastly, you are dead wrong about things that are done live and not done in a studio. Being a musician, you want to sound like recorded music live. Playing live is the most difficult thing there is. 

I couldn't disagree more with your last statement. Some of my favorite live albums & versions are specifically ones that do NOT sound just like the studio version. Some background sampling is fine, but vocal & main leads no.

But then, I never attended a Madonna concert.