Flight 23: Ascension- Thursday nights

17 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The captions for this segment:

Joe Carr: say it again Joe?
“[How do you have] Mayer, MacDonald, versus Jones?”

JD: 1. MacDonald 2. Mayer 3. Broderick

(pointing to his screen) I think Mayer is going to go here, MacDonald is going to go there. And then Broderick Jones is going to go at 14.

(He then predicts the trade up between NE/PIT)

I didn't know Carr is the Jets' Director of College Scouting

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/jon-carr

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/05/26/ny-jets-flight-23-draft-te/

One of the most interesting tidbits emerged from a segment that showed the Jets’ war room mulling over its options as the 15th overall pick approached. Apparently, based on the discussions shown in the documentary, Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer was one of the Jets’ top-ranked options when they came onto the clock at No. 15.

Only three prospects were mentioned by name in this segment of the documentary, which was filmed prior to the Jets’ selection: Mayer, Iowa State edge rusher Will McDonald, and Georgia offensive tackle Broderick Jones. At least one person in the Jets’ war room ranked Mayer above Jones.

One of the most interesting tidbits emerged from a segment that showed the Jets’ war room mulling over its options as the 15th overall pick approached. Apparently, based on the discussions shown in the documentary, Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer was one of the Jets’ top-ranked options when they came onto the clock at No. 15.

Only three prospects were mentioned by name in this segment of the documentary, which was filmed prior to the Jets’ selection: Mayer, Iowa State edge rusher Will McDonald, and Georgia offensive tackle Broderick Jones. At least one person in the Jets’ war room ranked Mayer above Jones.

If they traded down and took Mayer I’d have to become a giants fan 😂

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I think Van Ness was their #1 pass rusher with McDonald 2nd.

Van Ness went to GB. JD could be heard saying "Good pick" when it was announced 

That interesting considering the video evidence otherwise and the leaked jets board and thoughts on Wilburt 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I was impressed with how JD runs his staff. Very collaborative and team oriented. Watching him ask questions and consider the answers was pretty fascinating. 

Leadership....this actually how successful teams are run at any org. At least good long running successful teams...at least one way...I mean you also have the dictator teams but they don't last as long

12 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Didn't see the leaked board. Where did you catch that?

Here’s one from Jags in 2021

The Jaguars accidentally revealed their grades on some of the top prospects in the 2021 NFL draft, including the New York Jets’ top picks.

In a recent behind-the-scenes videochronicling the team’s forays in the 2021 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars accidentally showed off a few glimpses of their draft board, leaving the grades of some prospects un-blurred and free for the public to consume.

Jacksonville’s leaked grades included its scores for the New York Jets‘ top-three selections in the class.

Jacksonville scored second overall pick Zach Wilson with 7.0, 14th overall pick Alijah Vera-Tucker with a 7.5, and 34th overall pick Elijah Moore with a 6.9.

The maximum score on the scale used by the Jaguars seems to be 8.0. Here is a table that explains the grading system that was apparently used by Jacksonville (some teams use this system, some teams use other systems), via NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein.

NFL Draft Grading Scale Lance Zierlein, NFL Network

Wilson’s score of 7.0 lands him in the third tier, meaning the Jaguars likely considered him a “Pro-Bowl Talent & Day 1 Starter,” based on the chart. While that is a glowing review, it was not enough to make the No. 1 pick a debate for Jacksonville, who scored Trevor Lawrence with a perfect 8.0, according to the video.

None of the team’s other quarterback grades were shown, so it’s unknown how the team compared Wilson against fellow first-rounders Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones.

The Jaguars were extremely high on Vera-Tucker, placing him one tier below perfection with a score of 7.5, which means they likely considered the USC offensive lineman a “Perennial All-Pro Talent,” based on the chart.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:41 AM, Jet Nut said:

Kind of answered that bit of nonsense, when all in the room had McDonald rated at the top of the others they thought would be available at 15, with JSN second and Jones third.  

Then put the rest of the boards nonsense to sleep when JD correctly predicted that the Pats would trade out of 14 and it would most likely be to the Steelers.  You know when JD panicked, not knowing who to pick and blurted McDonald to barely get the pick out. 

Wasn’t expecting comedy in this episode

Totally off topic.. but this photo made me think of another thread you posted in. Enjoy it! 

IMG_0273.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, jetsons said:

The thing that concerned me most in this ep was that Lazard's pizza was getting cold while he did his interview. I was really bothered by that.

Also, he eventually ate his sundae before his pizza....who the hell does that?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That interesting considering the video evidence otherwise and the leaked jets board and thoughts on Wilburt 

Other than JD going around the room and asking everyone to pick their 2st, 2nd and 3rd choice at 15 and to a man McDonald was their 1st choice in episode 2?  Right before the draft started    

On 5/25/2023 at 9:06 PM, T0mShane said:

Wild stuff. It was McDonald, Mayer, Jones on their board and Douglas had an inkling that someone would trade up for Jones. 

Makes you feel like the Jets are now run by somebody that knows what they are doing. 

Funny that he had Mayer rated this highly but he wasnt taken till much later.  Was it rated to positional value or did other clubs see him differently?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The thing that concerned me most in this ep was that Lazard's pizza was getting cold while he did his interview. I was really bothered by that.

Dude I was thinking the same thing 😂 he carefully considered what he wanted and then it sat there 😂

26 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Makes you feel like the Jets are now run by somebody that knows what they are doing. 

Funny that he had Mayer rated this highly but he wasnt taken till much later.  Was it rated to positional value or did other clubs see him differently?

I think you hit it on the head - it was positional value. I think teams use a combination of an overall grade for a player but then have different values/weightings for different positions. As an example: the 3rd rated edge rusher (or LT) may have a lower overall rating/score than the highest rated TE, but the positional weighting (by the organization) would push that player higher on their board.

I would also think that positional value comes into play more with early picks (1st, 2nd round) then later picks

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Helmets should have F-16s or something on them. Not Clip art footballs.

Or like pilot helmet  Not this actual design but something cool with really dark visors 

IMG_6264.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Mayer in there was the real surprise to me because where does he fit? That would have been a straight up BAP play, but an interesting one

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Helmets should have F-16s or something on them. Not Clip art footballs.

An F-16 or F-22  logo would be amazing.  

Endless possibilities for military style logo and uniform combinations.  Some of the Navy and Air Force alternate uniforms have been great the last few years.

It's a shame they stick with the cookie cutter crap. . 

13 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He’s an Iowa kid who just spent the last 5 years in Wisconsin my dude.  Give him a sec to get acclimated to the norms of civilized society.

@HawkeyeJet @Lith

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’s an Iowa kid who just spent the last 5 years in Wisconsin my dude.  Give him a sec to get acclimated to the norms of civilized society.

@HawkeyeJet @Lith

Yeah I get what you are saying. 

Wisconsin is real podunk-ville.  Not a lick of culture in that entire state.  What a bunch of rubes.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mayer in there was the real surprise to me because where does he fit? That would have been a straight up BAP play, but an interesting one

When you dont have obvious roster holes to fill it should be a BAP approach, with a slight bias to positional value and an eye towards replacing vets that are over paid or have expiring contracts.  

As Douglas video demonstrated, players fall into groups or tiers of “valuation” so there is always some wiggle room for picking a position or for trading down and still getting a guy you like.  For all we know the Jets grouping of Mayer McDonald and Jones was weighted towards the position the Jets valued most and had players with expiring contracts.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@HawkeyeJet @Lith

He lost me when he ordered the Buffalo Chicken pizza.

14 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah I get what you are saying. 

Wisconsin is real podunk-ville.  Not a lick of culture in that entire state.  What a bunch of rubes.

When in Wisconsin, stick to the beers, brats and cheese curds and you can't go wroing.  Although whoever put ketchup on the brat should be expelled from the state.  Brown Dusseldorf mustard with sauerkraut are the only acceptable condiments.

Brat and deep fried cheese curds at Milwaukee Brat House, Milwaukee, WI,  USA Stock Photo - Alamy

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

When in Wisconsin, stick to the beers, brats and cheese curds and you can't go wroing.  Although whoever put ketchup on the brat should be expelled from the state.  Brown Dusseldorf mustard with sauerkraut are the only acceptable condiments.

Brat and deep fried cheese curds at Milwaukee Brat House, Milwaukee, WI,  USA Stock Photo - Alamy

That’s the good stuff right there.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mayer is a straight up football player… the type JD loves. I believe he was JD’s highest rated offensive weapon on the board once Bijan was taken. Remember, I did not say most athletic, but he was the highest rated offensive impact player remaining for the Jets.

In the end he had to choose between two positional groups the Jets are deep at… TE and Edge. Edge gets the bonus points and also will most likely be without Lawson and Huff next year.

I got grief for the Mayer pick in JetNation Mock Draft, but once the top 3 OT were gone I figured I could get Mayer a few picks later. I hope McDaniels can get his full potential with a question mark at Qb 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mayer is a straight up football player… the type JD loves. I believe he was JD’s highest rated offensive weapon on the board once Bijan was taken. Remember, I did not say most athletic, but he was the highest rated offensive impact player remaining for the Jets.

In the end he had to choose between two positional groups the Jets are deep at… TE and Edge. Edge gets the bonus points and also will most likely be without Lawson and Huff next year.

I got grief for the Mayer pick in JetNation Mock Draft, but once the top 3 OT were gone I figured I could get Mayer a few picks later. I hope McDaniels can get his full potential with a question mark at Qb 

We’ll see how Mayer turns out, but he profiles a lot like a guy you could have probably gotten later on. It’s just intriguing because why Mayer over someone like JSN or even Dalton Kincaid? They already have a few Michael Mayer types on the roster.

• Upvote 1