Jump to content

DeAndre Hopkins Released


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, CSNY said:

Let him go to the Bills as he’s a player on the decline

Sauce and DJ can cover him one on one  and will effectively take him out of the game same as they did to Diggs in the second half of the victory over Buffalo

One less Bills offensive player to be concerned with 

How is he on the decline? He played in 9 games last year due to suspension and had over 700 yards. If you extrapolate his numbers for a full 17 game season he would have had 1350 yards receiving.

DHop is a stud. Still a top 10 wr in the league.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Aaron Rodgers says some dumb sh*t about Covid and the entirety of sports media mocks his every utterance and prays he fails on the Jets. 
 

DeAndre Hopkins, who was effectively thrown out of Clemson and unceremoniously tossed off of two different NFL team in quick succession, gets cut and its “ooh let’s go live and debate whether the Chiefs or the Bills should sign him this afternoon.”

something is not right about this guy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

How is he on the decline? He played in 9 games last year due to suspension and had over 700 yards. If you extrapolate his numbers for a full 17 game season he would have had 1350 yards receiving.

DHop is a stud. Still a top 10 wr in the league.

I thought it was clear they wanted to move him and they could not get anything in return not even a late pick so the choice was to release him that does not look good in any way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hex said:

He's not going to sign here though. He doesn't want to play here. He's made that clear. The Jets weren't going to have a shot at him besides a trade, and at that point he definitely isn't worth it.

In the end, it’ll be about the money. Buffalo and KC both have like $2 mil in cap space. I’m sure they could make some moves, but are they willing to? KC just won a Super Bowl, so we’ll see how much they want to blow up their roster to add cap space. Buffalo might be more willing to do so. If the Jets were willing to offer him 2 years $36 mil, I highly doubt he’s going to Buffalo or KC unless they offered in the same ballpark. In the end money talks. He might take less to play for a contender over a sh*t team, but he’s probably not giving up 10 mil either just to avoid us.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting ….

Of course Hopkins is a Great Great Player but I keep saying is he a guy who comes in and helps the team culture (suspension), and at a cost that makes sense?

Also do we pay an extra great player before we pay Q?

I say first let’s pay a guy who has already helped the team, and who from what I can see is at the right cost.

So I would honestly absent Hopkins really wanting to be here, say pass.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duplicate post from another thread but this is my take:

I'm not passionate one way or another about this move.  I'd make the call because there is no harm but I do question how much he really moves the needle.  The offense has more than enough juice to make a HOF go off, arguably the best offense and best defense he's played on.  I guess the questions you have to ask are; how much better does he make the offense, are they suddenly 7pts per game better?  How many more W's does he account for?   I think if you're being real w/ yourself, it's not much.  Then the bigger question is, they're struggling to sign Q. Will while still figuring out Rodgers, how does adding DHop impact getting the Q. Will deal done because I'd rather have Q.Will then DHop 1000000x over. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Duplicate post from another thread but this is my take:

I'm not passionate one way or another about this move.  I'd make the call because there is no harm but I do question how much he really moves the needle.  The offense has more than enough juice to make a HOF go off, arguably the best offense and best defense he's played on.  I guess the questions you have to ask are; how much better does he make the offense, are they suddenly 7pts per game better?  How many more W's does he account for?   I think if you're being real w/ yourself, it's not much.  Then the bigger question is, they're struggling to sign Q. Will while still figuring out Rodgers, how does adding DHop impact getting the Q. Will deal done because I'd rather have Q.Will then DHop 1000000x over. 

There is too much logic in this post ... nice job and i fully agree with your concern.  Does bringing in DHop bring any additional Ws. I see no possible way this team can afford him.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Duplicate post from another thread but this is my take:

I'm not passionate one way or another about this move.  I'd make the call because there is no harm but I do question how much he really moves the needle.  The offense has more than enough juice to make a HOF go off, arguably the best offense and best defense he's played on.  I guess the questions you have to ask are; how much better does he make the offense, are they suddenly 7pts per game better?  How many more W's does he account for?   I think if you're being real w/ yourself, it's not much.  Then the bigger question is, they're struggling to sign Q. Will while still figuring out Rodgers, how does adding DHop impact getting the Q. Will deal done because I'd rather have Q.Will then DHop 1000000x over. 

Having good players helps a team win.  Having better players helps a team win more.

Hopkins will make this team noticeably better - absolutely worth going after - and probably necessary if you really have Super Bowl aspirations.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Duplicate post from another thread but this is my take:

I'm not passionate one way or another about this move.  I'd make the call because there is no harm but I do question how much he really moves the needle.  The offense has more than enough juice to make a HOF go off, arguably the best offense and best defense he's played on.  I guess the questions you have to ask are; how much better does he make the offense, are they suddenly 7pts per game better?  How many more W's does he account for?   I think if you're being real w/ yourself, it's not much.  Then the bigger question is, they're struggling to sign Q. Will while still figuring out Rodgers, how does adding DHop impact getting the Q. Will deal done because I'd rather have Q.Will then DHop 1000000x over. 

This is well put and how I feel as well. I'm not opposed to Hopkins but it does feel a little like a slap in the face to Q, even though we would still be able to sign both. I think the optics just aren't great.

I like the idea of seeing Corey Davis with Rodgers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This is well put and how I feel as well. I'm not opposed to Hopkins but it does feel a little like a slap in the face to Q, even though we would still be able to sign both. I think the optics just aren't great.

I like the idea of seeing Corey Davis with Rodgers

The Jets could be $100mm under the cap and still would not have signed Q.  Q isn't not signed because the Jets can't afford it.  He's not signed because there's a disconnect on contract value.  These things happen all over the league...It will get settled or they'll franchise him next year.  

You don't not bring in good talent because you're in a contract negotiation with another good player.

Bringing in a Hopkins has no relevance to QW as a player, his relationships with the Jets and his contract.

There are no bad optics is signing one of the better WR's in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Having good players helps a team win.  Having better players helps a team win more.

Hopkins will make this team noticeably better - absolutely worth going after - and probably necessary if you really have Super Bowl aspirations.

 

 

This is a blazing hot take filled w/ logic and facts.  It's hot.  Very deep.  Extremely well thought out.

////looks over at the Cardinals record after Hopkins came back from suspension and notice they were 2-4 w/out him, 2-11 w/ him.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets could be $100mm under the cap and still would not have signed Q.  Q isn't not signed because the Jets can't afford it.  He's not signed because there's a disconnect on contract value.  These things happen all over the league...It will get settled or they'll franchise him next year.  
You don't not bring in good talent because you're in a contract negotiation with another good player.
Bringing in a Hopkins has no relevance to QW as a player, his relationships with the Jets and his contract.
There are no bad optics is signing one of the better WR's in the game.
Assuming he wants to come here. That's a huge part of the equation.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is a blazing hot take filled w/ logic and facts.  It's hot.  Very deep.  Extremely well thought out.

////looks over at the Cardinals record after Hopkins came back from suspension and notice they were 2-4 w/out him, 2-11 w/ him.

 

Hopkins played in 4 games w/Kyler Murray last year. Aside from that it was all-time greats like Colt McCoy, Trace McSorely and Dave Blough lining up behind center for the Cards. The Cards defense was 31st in points allowed in 2022. 

If Rodgers gets injured than Hopkins doesn't help much, but if he's healthy I think we can all agree it's a much better situation than the disaster the 2022 Arizona Cardinals were.

The guy still has a ridiculous catch radius and hands - like go go gadget stick 'em hands. Paired with Rodgers he'd probably be an absolute beast, especially when he's the #2 WR across from Garrett Wilson. He'd also be great injury protection if, God forbid, GW missed significant time. He can actually play the #1 role if need be. As of right now as I see it there are 3 injury single points of failure for the 2023 Jets and they are Rodgers, Sauce & Garrett Wilson. Adding Hopkins reduces it to 2 and every true competitor has that 1 at QB.

Is anyone confident Corey Davis makes this grab?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets could be $100mm under the cap and still would not have signed Q.  Q isn't not signed because the Jets can't afford it.  He's not signed because there's a disconnect on contract value.  These things happen all over the league...It will get settled or they'll franchise him next year.  

You don't not bring in good talent because you're in a contract negotiation with another good player.

Bringing in a Hopkins has no relevance to QW as a player, his relationships with the Jets and his contract.

There are no bad optics is signing one of the better WR's in the game.

I agree, that doesn't mean that's how Quinnen feels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Hopkins played in 4 games w/Kyler Murray last year. Aside from that it was all-time greats like Colt McCoy, Trace McSorely and Dave Blough lining up behind center for the Cards. The Cards defense was 31st in points allowed in 2022. 

If Rodgers gets injured than Hopkins doesn't help much, but if he's healthy I think we can all agree it's a much better situation than the disaster the 2022 Arizona Cardinals were.

The guy still has a ridiculous catch radius and hands - like go go gadget stick 'em hands. Paired with Rodgers he'd probably be an absolute beast, especially when he's the #2 WR across from Garrett Wilson. He'd also be great injury protection if, God forbid, GW missed significant time. He can actually play the #1 role if need be. As of right now as I see it there are 3 injury single points of failure for the 2023 Jets and they are Rodgers, Sauce & Garrett Wilson. Adding Hopkins reduces it to 2 and every true competitor has that 1 at QB.

Is anyone confident Corey Davis makes this grab?

 

I didn’t say he was done.  Lol.   I simply responded to Fido’s ridiculously shallow take on the situation.  And yes, I think Corey Davis can make the catch. He’s made a bunch of tough clutch catches for this team and the same argument about QBs can be made for Corey.  

Again, I don’t care about this.  I don’t think he moves the needle at all and certainly wouldn’t do it if it impacts getting Q.Will done.
 

It’s not going to happen anyway. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Q is unrelated to this. Especially from a money perspective. Q when signed will be signed long term and we can maneuver money around with him. Very likely on why it’s taking us a bit to resign him. My guess is us waiting and seeing who gets cut post June 1st and see who we want to add or even trade for. And get those guys in here who we want and then maneuver Qs contract to fit under the cap. Rodgers the same. So if we wanted to make a move for DHop, it can be done and extend Q.

 

I do look at our offense and think we need 1 more difference maker. We don’t know how Hall will look at RB. Especially early. And GW is our only difference maker after that. It’s a bunch talented guys. But nothing worth noting. A DHOP or Evans or something like that… makes us scary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...