Time for Aaron Rodgers and Joe Douglas to Make Call to DeAndre Hopkins

Joe Douglas

Having gone all in for the next couple of seasons by parting with premium draft choices and a ton of cash to land a franchise quarterback, it’s time for Joe Douglas, and perhaps Aaron Rodgers, to check in with wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins.

The Arizona Cardinals officially released Hopkins who represents an opportunity for the Jets to vault their receiver room from a middle of the pack group to a top 10 unit.  A potential move from Hopkins was also a topic on this recent episode of JetNation radio.

DeAndre Hopkins averaged 79.7 yards per game last season, which extrapolates to 1,354 yards over 17 games.

Spare me any "he's not what he once was" takes.

Just because the guy isn't top 3 in the NFL doesn't mean he wouldn't be a very good player to pair with Rodgers.

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 27, 2023

One of the league’s top receivers just a few seasons ago, Hopkins may no longer be in the conversation for the title of the NFL’s WR1, but he’s still plenty good.

After serving a six-game suspension for PED use in 2023, Hopkins returned to show he’s still got plenty of gas left in the tank.  Through his 9 games in 2023, Hopkins had 7 or more catches in six of them while averaging 79.7 yards per game.  Over a full season, that number extrapolates to 1,354 yards.

Adding Hopkins to a room that would include Garrett Wilson and Allen Lazard would give the Jets one of the best trios they’ve ever fielded.  Pretty good timing considering they’ll also be trotting out the best quarterback the franchise has ever had.  Adding Hopkins would also mean the likely departure of Corey Davis and his $11 million cap hit.

Hopkins has commented on potential landing spots on two occasions in recent weeks and didn’t mention Gang Green either time.  This is where Douglas and Rodgers come in.  The pair, along with Robert Saleh, should be in Hopkins’ ear trying to sell him on New York and the Jets.

Making a push for Hopkins would also be in the Jets best interest as the division rival Buffalo Bills are at or near the top of Hopkins’ list and the interest is reportedly mutual.

Deandre Hopkins on his TOP 5 Quarterbacks he wants the ball thrown to him from 👀⬇

1) @JoshAllenQB
2) @JalenHurts
3) @PatrickMahomes
4) @Lj_era8
5) #JustinHerbert pic.twitter.com/JZKTf2x0Wy

— I AM ATHLETE (@IAMATHLETEpod) May 22, 2023

The veteran receiver recently appeared on a podcast in which he mentioned the three things he’ll be looking for with his new club.

1. A team with a great quarterback, which the Jets have.
  2. A team with a top defense, which the Jets also have.
  3. A team with a stable leadership situation, which, thanks to the Rodgers deal, the Jets also have.

So while Hopkins didn’t mention the Jets by name, they do fit his stated criteria.  These would be the points for the Jets to drive home to Hopkins along with a competitive offer in terms of money.

As is often the case with Hopkins, the Jets Super Bowl window is wide open, but it’s likely going to shut in a hurry.  If the Jets are all in, it’s time for them to act like it.

The post Time for Aaron Rodgers and Joe Douglas to Make Call to DeAndre Hopkins appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

I think this whole adding another top end WR stuff is the height of silliness. We have Garrett Wilson and a bunch of other solid WRs. How many pass completions do you think there are to go around? Plus the Jets want to run the ball and with their backfield and a healthy Becton with Joe Tippman at C, they will be a running team. The last thing the Jets need is another primadonna WR complaining about his lack of involvement in the O. Wilson is the primary playmaker in the passing game with some great run blocking WRs in Lazard and Davis who are both above average WRs, and Hardiman as the gimmick speed guy. Plus there is a stable of TE's who are all very capable and better than we've had in a decade or so.

Adding a top flight WR in free agency or the draft will only screw up the mix.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

I'm not passionate one way or another about this move.  I'd make the call because there is no harm but I do question how much he really moves the needle.  The offense has more than enough juice to make a HOF go off, arguably the best offense and best defense he's played on.  I guess the questions you have to ask are; how much better does he make the offense, are they suddenly 7pts per game better?  How many more W's does he account for?   I think if you're being real w/ yourself, it's not much.  Then the bigger question is, they're struggling to sign Q. Will while still figuring out Rodgers, how does adding DHop impact getting the Q. Will deal done because I'd rather have Q.Will then DHop 1000000x over. 
End thread. This is it.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

The reason I want him is because Lazard isn’t as good as a lot of us are making him out to be. I think Corey Davis is solid but also around the same level. Hopkins would take a lot of pressure of Garrett Wilson. Might be too expensive, though
Lazard and Davis are not on the same level. Lol NOW end thread.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Hopkins is a fit for a team needs a push to get into the playoff contender discussion where they can afford to pay him and he can play as WR1. I don't think any of the teams he called out are a fit for his skills and likely contract demands. 

I think the best the Jets could do is a short term contract and he's WR2. I also do not think he wants to be a Jet, play on a short contract, or play WR2.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:
Not making an aggressive more for him would be negligent.

And your definition of an aggressive move? I'm guessing it's handing him a blank check and telling him to put down whatever he wants.

It would be to do what this thread title suggests.   Have Arod call him, have Joe call his agent and pitch him hard in the Jets and then be willing to match the best offer he has.  If he chooses another place for equal money, so be it.  But make a legitimate attempt to get him here.  
Because contrary to the bewildering belief from most fans.  This team is not loaded.    It’s better than it was but a talent like Hopkins is a massive upgrade. 

• More Ugh 1

It would be to do what this thread title suggests.   Have Arod call him, have Joe call his agent and pitch him hard in the Jets and then be willing to match the best offer he has.  If he chooses another place for equal money, so be it.  But make a legitimate attempt to get him here.  
Because contrary to the bewildering belief from most fans.  This team is not loaded.    It’s better than it was but a talent like Hopkins is a massive upgrade. 
So I was right. You want to hand this guy a blank check....tell him whatever offer you get we will beat it. And if he doesn't like NY/NJ, we can pitch him that we are moving the team.

What if he has reservations about playing with Zach as the backup? He saw what it was like catching passes from scrubs when Murray went down and Wilson makes their backups look like hall of famers. Should we tell him he can pick the backup QB as well?

Jets are stupid, let’s be real. They are probably leaning back in their executive chairs saying ehhhh why do we need Dhop when we have Lazard and Corey Davis? Lazard and freaking Corey Davis. Jesus. JD will at best low ball offer Dhop to the point where his agent doesn’t even tell him the jets have made an offer. Jets will likely fail to have a top 5 offense again. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  

They have everything to do with each other, unless you think it's easy to get contracts with both DHip and Q as well as the contracts they already have with Rodgers and other high-paying players.

I mean, I haven't crunched the numbers myself, but if you can get DHop's 27 mil a year in along with Q's probable 12+ million a year and restructure enough contracts from other players to open up more than the $6 mil in cap space the Jets currently have (And that's with Rodgers only taking $1 mil from this year), then sure, go for it! At that point it really wouldn't hurt in any way to have him. But once you start needing to cut or trade players, then his benefit starts to get murky.

39 minutes ago, Hex said:

They have everything to do with each other, unless you think it's easy to get contracts with both DHip and Q as well as the contracts they already have with Rodgers and other high-paying players.

I mean, I haven't crunched the numbers myself, but if you can get DHop's 27 mil a year in along with Q's probable 12+ million a year and restructure enough contracts from other players to open up more than the $6 mil in cap space the Jets currently have (And that's with Rodgers only taking $1 mil from this year), then sure, go for it! At that point it really wouldn't hurt in any way to have him. But once you start needing to cut or trade players, then his benefit starts to get murky.

They can make it work if they wanted to.  No one is even arguing (I guess other than you) that they can't.  

It might not be "easy" but that's what they get paid for - to make it work.

You just have to ask yourself.  Are the Jets serious about this team being a real Super Bowl contender?  If they were, DHop would be a prime target.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They can make it work if they wanted to.  No one is even arguing (I guess other than you) that they can't.  

You just have to ask yourself.  Are the Jets serious about this team being a real Super Bowl contender?  If they were, DHop would be a prime target.  

So any team that does not target a 31 year old receiver  who has missed almost half of the games played in 21 -22 and is seeking $15-20 million a year, likely in a multi year deal, is not serious about contending?  Show me any 31 year old receivers that have performed at a level close to what would be expected for that compensation in recent seasons.  I don't think there is one.  

Hopkins is more past reputation than current star. If he was still a top wide receiver, he would have been traded like Hill, Adams, Brown were last season. Instead, there were no takers for Hopkins and he was released.  If you can get Hopkins on a 1-2 year deal for reasonable money, it may be worth considering.  But to match the best offer for him is irresponsible.  

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Jets are stupid, let’s be real. They are probably leaning back in their executive chairs saying ehhhh why do we need Dhop when we have Lazard and Corey Davis? Lazard and freaking Corey Davis. Jesus. JD will at best low ball offer Dhop to the point where his agent doesn’t even tell him the jets have made an offer. Jets will likely fail to have a top 5 offense again. 

Do we need a top 5 offense?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Do we need a top 5 offense?

In todays NFL, any competent GM should have that goal. It's an offensive league - by a wide margin. 

So JD so far is not going "all in" while Rodgers is here, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

In todays NFL, any competent GM should have that goal. It's an offensive league - by a wide margin. 

So JD so far is not going "all in" while Rodgers is here, IMO. 

When you already have Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall, you don't have to add a high-end playmaker.  Hopkins might be toast anyways.

Besides; once the Rodgers and QW contract situations get settled, there may well be opportunities to add another quality WR2 into the mix to replace Corey Davis.  It's only May.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not arguing that they can't. I'm arguing whether or not it's worth it.

I think there may be better options, but I can't name them off the top of my head, so I'm not going to get anywhere to continue arguing.

Just now, Hex said:

I think there may be better options, but I can't name them off the top of my head, so I'm not going to get anywhere to continue arguing.

Davante Adams, Mike Evans.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Davante Adams, Mike Evans.

Mike Evans was the option I was looking for. Thanks!

Adams is also a better option but opposers could drag in the 'he's not available' argument.

But Evans is a great example.

If he's any cheaper, that is.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So any team that does not target a 31 year old receiver  who has missed almost half of the games played in 21 -22 and is seeking $15-20 million a year, likely in a multi year deal, is not serious about contending?  Show me any 31 year old receivers that have performed at a level close to what would be expected for that compensation in recent seasons.  I don't think there is one.  

Hopkins is more past reputation than current star. If he was still a top wide receiver, he would have been traded like Hill, Adams, Brown were last season. Instead, there were no takers for Hopkins and he was released.  If you can get Hopkins on a 1-2 year deal for reasonable money, it may be worth considering.  But to match the best offer for him is irresponsible.  

Any team that gave up a 1st round pick, a second round picks-and more.  For the honor of paying $110 over two years (if you’re lucky) to a soon to be 40 year old QB, coming off his worst test as a pro - Should absolutely be all in. 
So yes, any team under those circumstances should be aggressive on any player that can help win NOW.   Hopkins falls squarely into that category. 

33 minutes ago, Hex said:

Okay. Then I’m with you.  I have no specific love for Hopkins.  But this team is all in and really needs another play maker beyond Wilson.  

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Any team that gave up a 1st round pick, a second round picks-and more.  For the honor of paying $110 over two years (if you’re lucky) to a soon to be 40 year old QB, coming off his worst test as a pro - Should absolutely be all in. 
So yes, any team under those circumstances should be aggressive on any player that can help win NOW.   Hopkins falls squarely into that category. 

So you're unhappy giving up money and picks for one old player and your solution is to give up more for other old players. OK. That's sound reasoning./s

• Upvote 3