If Hackett is still the OC when Saleh retires does he get the head coaching job?

Alright, it is time for us to stop thinking like the same old Jets and start thinking about what this dynasty is going to look like. Let's start with this:

• Robert Saleh is 44 years old.
  • Nathaniel Hackett is 43.

Let's assume the absolute worst-case scenario, and the Jets only win one Super Bowl over the next two years with Aaron Rodgers. Yes, before you flame me for that comment, we are on the same page -- 2 of the next 3 are much more likely.

You have to assume that even though it was a disaster for Hackett as a head coach in Denver, that he will get another shot. He will be in his 40s with an incredible resume.

So Hackett leaves, the Jets promote someone to be the new O\C from the staff, and Zach Wilson takes over. This is in 2026 I am talking about. Zach continues the dynasty, and Saleh cements his fate as the greatest Jets coach of all time. That isn't a tall task, but Saleh will clearly go on to build a hall-of-fame career.

Hackett fails his 2nd time as a head coach and comes back here as the O\C when we have an opening, probably 2029'ish. Hackett is the modern-day Norv Turner. Great head coach, not a head coach.

So the point of this thread is, when Saleh retires, say in 15 years, do the Jets make a mistake and hire Hackett as the HC? I say no way, they can't. At that point you will have a year or two left with Zach finishing his hall of fame career. So they should go young coach to freshen things up and try to extend the dynasty past the 20-year mark.

Thoughts?

• Sympathy 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

My guess is if the jets are successful then Hackett will be offered a head coach job somewhere before saleh leaves.

Yes and he gets fired and comes back. I outlined that in my Sperm Edwards like post.  :)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Alright, it is time for us to stop thinking like the same old Jets and start thinking about what this dynasty is going to look like. Let's start with this:

Let's assume the absolute worst-case scenario, and the Jets only win one Super Bowl over the next two years with Aaron Rodgers. Yes, before you flame me for that comment, we are on the same page -- 2 of the next 3 are much more likely.

You have to assume that even though it was a disaster for Hackett as a head coach in Denver, that he will get another shot. He will be in his 40s with an incredible resume.

So Hackett leaves, the Jets promote someone to be the new O\C from the staff, and Zach Wilson takes over. This is in 2026 I am talking about. Zach continues the dynasty, and Saleh cements his fate as the greatest Jets coach of all time. That isn't a tall task, but Saleh will clearly go on to build a hall-of-fame career.

Hackett fails his 2nd time as a head coach and comes back here as the O\C when we have an opening, probably 2029'ish. Hackett is the modern-day Norv Turner. Great head coach, not a head coach.

So the point of this thread is, when Saleh retires, say in 15 years, do the Jets make a mistake and hire Hackett as the HC? I say no way, they can't. At that point you will have a year or two left with Zach finishing his hall of fame career. So they should go young coach to freshen things up and try to extend the dynasty past the 20-year mark.

Thoughts?

If Maxman retires does Smashmouth get full control of Jet Nation Forums ?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, static14 said:

At that point I say we just hire Saleh as infinite coach and keep his head alive in a jar Futurama style. 

This is a good point. I am basing these thoughts off of today's technology. 20 years from now, with AI just getting started, anything is possible.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If Maxman retires does Smashmouth get full control of Jet Nation Forums ?

This is something I have thought about. Me retired, I would probably start blogging real time and covering the team like a reporter from a distance.

BUT -- me retired in the forums. Posting like @ECURB back in the hobby shop days. Oh my...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is something I have thought about. Me retired, I would probably start blogging real time and covering the team like a reporter from a distance.

BUT -- me retired in the forums. Posting like @ECURB back in the hobby shop days. Oh my...

I could probably get ChatGPT to bring me back to life!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes and he gets fired and comes back. I outlined that in my Sperm Edwards like post.  :)

I don’t know if Hackett is a newer version of norv turner or even Dan henning but it’s possibly more likely than not.  And that’s not so bad either.  Imagine a team with norv turner and wade phillips as the coordinators.  I don’t think that Hackett will take over from saleh like Walton did with Michael’s.

• Upvote 1

I have to be honest, I think under Saleh and even with Rodgers this team is going to crash and burn, Rodgers will retire, Saleh and entire staff gets fired and we need to hire some D list head coach (first time super conservative defensive head coach again) have no 1st rounder and a complete mess of a cap. No I am not trolling. I just think it is what is going to happen. Am not and have never been a fan of what we are doing this offseason.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thoughts?

Sounds eerily like when we were patting ourselves on the back because Belichick ran off and we weren't stuck with Lil Bill.