Jordan Whitehead restructured his contract, creating $5.3M in cap savings

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Wait, he just got more guaranteed money upfront, this was an easy decision for him.  This was not a pay cut like Lawson took.  

Similar to Mosley last year, who got all his money while the Jets were able to spread a big portion over future years.

The Mosley and Whitehead "restructures" were classic "kick the can down the road" contract amendments that basically guarantee this year's compensation in return for cooperating with pushing cap space down the road.  

Not only does Quinnen need a contract, but Rodgers contract needs to be fixed, as we can't pay him $110mm next year.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Mosley and Whitehead "restructures" were classic "kick the can down the road" contract amendments that basically guarantee this year's compensation in return for cooperating with pushing cap space down the road.  

Not only does Quinnen need a contract, but Rodgers contract needs to be fixed, as we can't pay him $110mm next year.  

my theory is that they're keeping the arod restructure open until they figure out Q so that they can structure both of them to interact over the years in a nice way.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Over 24 mil in cap space now. Kwon incoming???

I highly doubt they gaf about Kwon, to be honest.  They've only needed a few mil to bring him back - I don't see why this Whitehead restructure would make a difference.  I think they're content with going into the year with these kids competing for that LB spot.

Maybe they are waiting for Quinnen and AR to be done before deciding to bring back Kwon or another LB, but either way I wouldn't expect anything until these main guys are locked up.  If we're gonna bring in anyone though, I'd prefer:

r922944_1296x729_16-9.jpg

29 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I highly doubt they gaf about Kwon, to be honest.  They've only needed a few mil to bring him back - I don't see why this Whitehead restructure would make a difference.  I think they're content with going into the year with these kids competing for that LB spot.

Maybe they are waiting for Quinnen and AR to be done before deciding to bring back Kwon or another LB, but either way I wouldn't expect anything until these main guys are locked up.  If we're gonna bring in anyone though, I'd prefer:

r922944_1296x729_16-9.jpg

I suspect they're waiting on Mosley to accept a restructure or pay cut, with the possibility of releasing him if he doesn’t. If it comes to that, I imagine they’d be on the horn with Kwon pretty quickly. He was on the field for the defense last year 49% of the time to Mosley’s 98%. A lot of snaps potentially to be made up there.  

As for Quinnen, I’d expect to see something get done once JD’s done with his contract tweaking - including Mosley. June 1 could be something of a deadline for a couple guys. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Wait, he just got more guaranteed money upfront, this was an easy decision for him.  This was not a pay cut like Lawson took.  

Similar to Mosley last year, who got all his money while the Jets were able to spread a big portion over future years.

That depends on perspective. He went from 10.2 non guaranteed to 8.2 guaranteed. Roughly a 20 percent cut, but guarantees the other 80 percent. He most likely had a choice to take less and spread it out, or be cut. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

S Jordan Whitehead restructured his contract, creating $5.3M in cap savings, per OTC. Converted non-guaranteed base salary into signing bonus, dropping cap charge to $4.9M from $10.2M. Added 4 void years for cap purposes, meaning a $3.3M hit next yr when deal voids. #Jets

JD: Jordan we need to restructure your contract. 
JW: heck no JD. No no no way. 
JD: ok JW you’re cut. 
JW: ok so what you got in mind. I’m a team player JD. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That depends on perspective. He went from 10.2 non guaranteed to 8.2 guaranteed. Roughly a 20 percent cut, but guarantees the other 80 percent. He most likely had a choice to take less and spread it out, or be cut. 

I'm surprised he got that much guaranteed. I'd have thunk JD' offer him half. Kinda like that slot WR we got from Washington. ya Crowder.

you know maybe everyone else has heard of void years and all that, maybe we just never had enough good players to need them, but damn everyone is gettig void years?? I know the cap is about to go bananas with the new tv contracts so this is probably all calculating that sign q and getting aaron done is feasible because of them.  easy to add it to future years when the cap is going to be sig higher. Singing q right now at market setting contract is actually a discount if he plays 3-6 year more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You might be right..  didn’t sound like he gave back anything but I see how you did the math.

Curious to know the full details once available.

There really is nothing to celebrate about this move.  A player who was widely panned around here last year didn't actually give up a single cent, but rather was actually given his money even sooner, so he's definitely happy to take that deal.  It does nothing but guarantee him the job this year regardless of how he well does from here.  This was once again pushing debt into future years that they'll be paying long after these players are gone.

JD is definitely going all in on this year, and is willing to mortgage anything for that.  Not particularly surprising after everything that happened surrounding Rodgers, and if it works he'll be a hero, but if it fails then his NFL career is very deservedly finished.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yeah exactly this wasn’t some team-first sacrifice 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

There really is nothing to celebrate about this move.  A player who was widely panned around here last year didn't actually give up a single cent, but rather was actually given his money even sooner, so he's definitely happy to take that deal.  It does nothing but guarantee him the job this year regardless of how he well does from here.  This was once again pushing debt into future years that they'll be paying long after these players are gone.

JD is definitely going all in on this year, and is willing to mortgage anything for that.  Not particularly surprising after everything that happened surrounding Rodgers, and if it works he'll be a hero, but if it fails then his NFL career is very deservedly finished.

Although I really like to wait for our own SpermEdwards analysis of these cap things, my initial thought is that you are spot on.  I dont see the logic behind this other then saving a few quick bucks this year.   We really couldnt lower his overall number a bit more? Did I miss where Jordan Whitehead, especially after his 2022 tape, is suddenly in demand?  Really odd to me.

Going a step further, the void year thing is really getting weird unless JD knows something we dont (would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on whether other teams do this etc).  In some ways im not surprised more GMs dont kick the can down the road more since either they will win and get extended or lose and wont be there to deal with the mess, but JD seems to be doing the void years on every single contract restructure that we do.  THe consistency is really odd, unless there is some sort of specific reason for it.  Really dont get it.