Jeff Ulbrich Says Michael Clemons set to Slide Inside After Adding 27 Pounds to Frame Since Indy

Michael-Clemons.jpg

While the Jets made some additions to their interior defensive line through free agency this off-season in signing Al Woods and Quinton Jefferson, it appears a bulked up Michael Clemons means more muscle along the interior as well.

That's an extra 27 pounds from the 263 he weighed in Indy. So yeah, DT Michael Clemons sounds about right. https://t.co/y7AerpWiVZ

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) June 1, 2023

According to Antwan Staley of the New York Daily News, Jets defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich said the team plans on using John Franklin-Myers and Clemons on the inside more often this season.  Ulbrich would go on to say that Clemons is currently checking in at 290 lbs which is where he wants him.

Having showed up at the combine in Indianapolis at 263lbs, that’s an extra 27 pounds of mass for Clemons, making him a welcome addition to the middle of the Jets defense.

As a rookie in 2022, Clemons played just 12 of his 311 defensive snaps on the inside according to pff.com.  Obvioulsy those numbers will look far different this season.

The post Jeff Ulbrich Says Michael Clemons set to Slide Inside After Adding 27 Pounds to Frame Since Indy appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Q and Clemons from DT on 3rd down with McDonald and JJ off the edge is scary. 

Lots of options, but I like the idea of Clemons as Q’s primary backup. There was a major defensive drop off when he left the field last year, be nice to have someone who can fill in and shrink that gap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, IndianaJet said:

I can 100% see them rotating in Clemons at DT, especially on passing downs.  I'd rather have two of Lawson/Huff/McDonald/Johnson on the edge over Clemons.  

I'll be submitting my application for Jets D-Coordinator later today......

10 hours ago, slats said:

He was listed at 270 last year, so another 20 pounds since then? Not so bad. I like the idea of him playing inside more and, at that size, he could become a full time DT. I always worry about a player’s speed when they add too much weight too quickly, but it’s not like speed or agility were Clemons’ game. He’s all power. At 6’5” with a 6’11” wingspan, he could be a disruptive force inside. I like it a lot. 

I think a lot of these guys go into the combine light.  Most of the track and field stuff and drills are probably better at a lighter weight.  Then they bulk back up for football season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

At Edge, he’s an excellent run defender but his athletic traits limit him as a pass rusher.

On the inside, he becomes a plus athlete who can become an excellent pass rusher if he maintains his athleticism.  Jetsxfactor showed how his RAS jumped to 9+ relative to Defensive Tackles.

The key is adding good weight to a frame that looks like it can handle an extra 20.

Good run defenders are easier to find than good pass rushers.  I personally like the change plus it opens up more reps for McDonald on the right side while JFM opens up more reps for JJ & Huff.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is a good move.  He was always a bit large and mostly a bull rusher so it fits his skill set moreso.  John Franklin Floater probably wanted to stay outside.

Agree on the first part but a little confused on the second….

JFM makes his money as a pass rushing defensive tackle which is worth more than a run stopping defensive end.  The fact is he became very good as a run stopping end so the Jets think he can probably be average when called upon to stop the run from the inside. 

16 hours ago, JetNation said:

Michael-Clemons.jpg

While the Jets made some additions to their interior defensive line through free agency this off-season in signing Al Woods and Quinton Jefferson, it appears a bulked up Michael Clemons means more muscle along the interior as well.

That's an extra 27 pounds from the 263 he weighed in Indy. So yeah, DT Michael Clemons sounds about right. https://t.co/y7AerpWiVZ

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) June 1, 2023

According to Antwan Staley of the New York Daily News, Jets defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich said the team plans on using John Franklin-Myers and Clemons on the inside more often this season.  Ulbrich would go on to say that Clemons is currently checking in at 290 lbs which is where he wants him.

Having showed up at the combine in Indianapolis at 263lbs, that’s an extra 27 pounds of mass for Clemons, making him a welcome addition to the middle of the Jets defense.

As a rookie in 2022, Clemons played just 12 of his 311 defensive snaps on the inside according to pff.com.  Obvioulsy those numbers will look far different this season.

The post Jeff Ulbrich Says Michael Clemons set to Slide Inside After Adding 27 Pounds to Frame Since Indy appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Not impressed @The Crusher can add 27 lbs after lunch. 

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Agree on the first part but a little confused on the second….

JFM makes his money as a pass rushing defensive tackle which is worth more than a run stopping defensive end.  The fact is he became very good as a run stopping end so the Jets think he can probably be average when called upon to stop the run from the inside. 

he had minimum snaps at DT the last few years and he is overrated.  Oh he seems to a be a darling of analytics, his play fell off a cliff almost the second he got a nice fat extension.

All we have mused on the last two years is him playing DT