Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

I see this as highly unlikely but the unfounded rumors suggest Jets are taking offers on Carter and Bam Knight.  

Can't wait to hear from a few of our illustrious members why this is a horrible move by Joe Douglas if it happens, or a sure sign we aren't trying to win if it doesn't. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Breece won't be Breece until at least ~ Week 8.  We do need to add another back to the room.  Can't see how we can afford Cook, but I'd still fully support it.

We got plenty of that precious cap space. Enough to land Cook and Kwon. Extending Q will be the final cherry on top. 

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

We got plenty of that precious cap space. Enough to land Cook and Kwon. Extending Q will be the final cherry on top. 

Yeah, I know we have the cap space at the moment, but quite a bit of that will need to be shifted to this year after the Rodgers restructure.  Rodgers currently carries a $1.1M cap hit in 2023 but we know that isn't going to last.

• Upvote 2

Why do the Jets need him?  They have numerous capable running backs on the roster and can certainly let Hall ease into the lineup over the first few weeks.  Why aren't those that want him asking why a playoff team like Minnesota is trying to trade him and may end up cutting him?  Who is a better back?  Hall or Mattison?  The Jets have Carter, Abanikanda, and Knight.  RB is a plug and play position.  They need money for the Rodgers contract, Q, and possibly an offensive tackle (things aren't exactly shored up there with Brown, Becton, Mitchell and Warren all coming off injuries).  You don't sign a player just to keep him from the Dolphins.  You don't sign a player because he is a "name."  Did anyone learn from the Bell signing.   Cook is older than Bell was when he came to the Jets.  I know I keep posting about NOT signing players like OBJ, Hopkins, and now Cook, but it is rarely worth signing older players discarded by their original teams. 

When Cook signs elsewhere, who's next? Elliott?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Why do the Jets need him?  They have numerous capable running backs on the roster and can certainly let Hall ease into the lineup over the first few weeks.  Why aren't those that want him asking why a playoff team like Minnesota is trying to trade him and may end up cutting him?  Who is a better back?  Hall or Mattison?  The Jets have Carter, Abanikanda, and Knight.  RB is a plug and play position.  They need money for the Rodgers contract, Q, and possibly an offensive tackle (things aren't exactly shored up there with Brown, Becton, Mitchell and Warren all coming off injuries).  You don't sign a player just to keep him from the Dolphins.  You don't sign a player because he is a "name."  Did anyone learn from the Bell signing.   Cook is older than Bell was when he came to the Jets.  I know I'm agist and keep posting about NOT signing players like OBJ, Hopkins, and now Cook, but it is rarely worth signing older players discarded by their original teams. 

While I agree that this doesn't feel like a needed move, I do want to clarify that Cook is basically 6 months older than Bell was, and, he'll just be turning 28 as the season starts, so is by no means, over the hill.  Age really isn't a factor.

Having said that, I don't know why MIN soured on him so much.  If Hall wasn't on track to be back to form by mid-season, I'd be keener on this move as we are really stocking the larder for a run this year.  I hope this isn't an indication the Jets are concerned about that.

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Why do the Jets need him?  They have numerous capable running backs on the roster and can certainly let Hall ease into the lineup over the first few weeks.  Why aren't those that want him asking why a playoff team like Minnesota is trying to trade him and may end up cutting him?  Who is a better back?  Hall or Mattison?  The Jets have Carter, Abanikanda, and Knight.  RB is a plug and play position.  They need money for the Rodgers contract, Q, and possibly an offensive tackle (things aren't exactly shored up there with Brown, Becton, Mitchell and Warren all coming off injuries).  You don't sign a player just to keep him from the Dolphins.  You don't sign a player because he is a "name."  Did anyone learn from the Bell signing.   Cook is older than Bell was when he came to the Jets.  I know I keep posting about NOT signing players like OBJ, Hopkins, and now Cook, but it is rarely worth signing older players discarded by their original teams. 

When Cook signs elsewhere, who's next? Elliott?

What free agent Offensive tackle will demand such a big salary that we’re saving our cap space for exactly? 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Having said that, I don't know why MIN soured on him so much. 

RB 2nd contracts always head that direction for elite backs, it seems.  Teams either have to cave and hand a back a contract he'll never live up to OR they end up insulting the player.  The nature of the position these days.

Why do we need him? We don't "need" him. But he 100% can help big time. Especially with Breece coming off injury. We can ease him in, instead of force him in. I think some think Bam and Carter are a lot better than they actually are. They're good RBs for a average team. But when you're trying to win a SB... you want more than Carter and Bam back there.

He's a difference maker. I'd actually love to see sets with both of them back there (not sure if GB under Hackett ever did this with Jones and Dillon).

• Upvote 3

Just now, Untouchable said:

Why do some people buy whatever they hear on Twitter?

Does anyone even know who the hell this guy is?

He's a nobody, but it's a slow week.  And the nobody probably got his rep pumped up by all the interest.

Pretty sure if this was even remotely possible, it would be popping up in more reputable places.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why do some people buy whatever they hear on Twitter?

Does anyone even know who the hell this guy is?

Nobody is taking it for gospel. It’s a rumor. Something to get a discussion going. On a discussion board. 

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

While I agree that this doesn't feel like a needed move, I do want to clarify that Cook is basically 6 months older than Bell was, and, he'll just be turning 28 as the season starts, so is by no means, over the hill.  Age really isn't a factor.

Having said that, I don't know why MIN soured on him so much.  If Hall wasn't on track to be back to form by mid-season, I'd be keener on this move as we are really stocking the larder for a run this year.  I hope this isn't an indication the Jets are concerned about that.

I think age might kind of be a factor.  Cook doesn't have the year off that Bell had, but his 1200 carries are pretty similar.  For the sake of discussion, let's pretend that Niki Minaj or whoever at the post office is correct:  We are signing him for $11M?  What years and structure make it worth the shot? 

Also, people want to act like Cousins is a choker, but Cook hasn't exactly been lights out in the playoffs.  He may be fading down the stretch if anything. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

RB 2nd contracts always head that direction for elite backs, it seems.  Teams either have to cave and hand a back a contract he'll never live up to OR they end up insulting the player.  The nature of the position these days.

He's also coming off shoulder surgery. I believe it may be his 2nd one.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Dalvin Cook is "making excellent progress" in his recovery from offseason shoulder surgery.

The positive news surrounding Cook's recovery is worth noting for multiple reasons. On one hand, it spells good news for the Vikings if their plan was to rely on Cook once more for the 2023 season, as he's been one of the better running backs in the league when healthy. Cook has battled through this shoulder injury for the better part of three seasons but could enter next season fully healthy. On the other hand, his shoulder surgery was said to complicate his release, as a failed physical would require the team to pay an additional $2 million to cut him. Cook is scheduled to make $10.4 million this season, but the Vikings could save $7.9 million if they were to release him with a passed physical. Some running back-needy teams could entertain a trade for the soon-to-be 28-year-old back once he's determined to be fully-recovered.

• Upvote 1

More info

After injuring his shoulder in 2019 along with multiple re-injuries of the joint, Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook decided to address it. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Cook underwent shoulder surgery on Tuesday morning to fix the long-standing issue.

Vikings’ Pro-Bowl RB Dalvin Cook, who is second in the NFL in total yards since 2019, underwent surgery today to fix the broken shoulder he suffered in that same year, 2019. “Dalvin has been absolutely dominant and we cannot wait until September,” said his agency @LAASportsEnt.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 14, 2023

Cook re-injured his shoulder for what felt like the 10th time in week four against the Detroit Lions. After that, he wore a brace on his shoulder and luckily didn’t have any issues for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't hate it. There's a risk Hall won't be back to start the season and may not be 100% until later in the season. Is Abanikanda good enough to step into the RB1 role? I don't think Carter or Knight are good enough for RB1. Knight strikes me as a Shonn Greene type that is good at RB2 but as RB1 he's three yards and falling down. If Hall is not 100% until later in the season and Abanikanda doesn't light it up right away, the team is making this big push with Rodgers but with no RB1 for potentially some or all of the season. That doesn't make a ton of sense. 

• Upvote 1