Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Fournette was 25 years old the year of the Super Bowl run.  Big difference.

Again, why does a playoff team with Alexander Mattison, Kent Nwangwu, CJ Ham and Ty Chandler in the running back room want to dump Cook?  Maybe because he's "cooked?"

It's amazing that in 2023 some of you still don't understand how the salary cap works nor do you bother to see what the vikings save by cutting dalvin vs what the Jets, or any other team, can pay dalvin as  free agent.

I wouldn't want dalvin here if the Jets were forced to keep him for 3 years at his current contract rate. 

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's amazing that in 2023 some of you still don't understand how the salary cap works nor do you bother to see what the vikings save by cutting dalvin vs what the Jets, or any other team, can pay dalvin as  free agent.

I wouldn't want dalvin here if the Jets were forced to keep him for 3 years at his current contract rate. 

Would you care to enlighten us?  What do the Vikings save by cutting Dalvin Cook?  My understanding is $9M this year and $12-14M per going forward.  What issue is there with trading for him?  It saves the Vikings $2M because of his guaranteed portion of his salary.  I don't think his 2024 or 2025 salaries have any guarantees.  We wouldn't be locked into him as far as I know, but there is some $11.8M injury guarantee which might be what Minnesota is trying to get out from under.  I guess you are talking about making his salary bonus that can be moved to future years.  I am pretty sure they could redo his deal if that is what they wanted. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If it’s $10m for just this year and we can fit him under the cap, who cares? There’s still room to sign Kwon also.

Hey if JD can work his magic, restructure Rodgers, re-sign QW, bring back Kwon AND fit in Cook for the $10M or whatever....sign me up.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah cool that is a good idea lets trade mims for davanta adams too? hey think they should throw in hardman or maybe bam knight for justin jeffries? 

He’s likely getting cut any day. So to get anything for him is a plus for MIN. So yes getting a return even if it’s a backup to Mattison for them for 2 years is better than just cutting him.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What cap space?  It's an illusion.  Just like you can always create more space if you really want somebody, any cap space we have had already been spent on the Quinnen Williams extension and the reimagining of Aaron Rodgers contract.  Do you think Rodgers is really going to play for $1.15M in 2023?  If he does, doesn't that mean that he will take up more than a third of our cap next year?

We can create more actually. I would gladly cut Davis and if we can, restructure Mosely. We will have more than enough to do what we need to do.  

55 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

11 million on a one year deal is a bargain. This must mean Breece is not expected to start the season

That is one possibility.  The other possibility is that the Jets feel that they want to limit Breece on a pitch count, so to speak, and have another stud come in when Breece is resting.  Maybe they determined that one of the factors of Breece's injury has to do with overusing him.  Keep him fresh, and keep him great.  Bring in another stud, and keep the pressure on the opposing team.  Nothing wrong with that thinking, if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Vikings save the exact same amount by cutting or trading him, seeing as we're now past June 1st. 

Also why would the Jets be "forced to keep him for 3 years" if trading a 7th for him? He has this much guaranteed money remaining: $0

Okiedokie, no idea where this comes from.   I was just pointing out why the vikings would need to move on from cook and his current contract versus why it would it make sense for the jets to consider signing him to a one year deal.

It can both be smart for the vikings to release him (cap reasons) and for the jets to sign him for just a 1 year deal. 

It was all in response to a poster saying why we would want a player the vikings no longer want.

#context

17 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

We got plenty of that precious cap space. Enough to land Cook and Kwon. Extending Q will be the final cherry on top. 

IMO that cap space is being accumulated primarily for Q and Rodgers. Don't forget when Rodgers' contract is reworked, it will require more cap than he now accounts for. Additionally, if JD wants Kwon, he will be signed on the cheap.