Will Rodgers break Joe Namath's 55 year old Jets record of 4,007 passing yards in a season?

Break Jets Records?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Will Aaron Rodgers pass for more than 4,007 yards in 2023 - breaking Joe Namath's team record that has stood for 55 years?

• YES! NO DOUBT!
    • Probably
    • It will be close!
    • Probably Not
    • NO WAY! NO HOW!
  2. 2. Will Aaron Rodgers pass for more than 31 TDs in 2023 - breaking Ryan Fitzpatrick's Team Record set in 2015?

• YES! NO DOUBT!
    • Probably
    • It will be close!
    • Probably Not
    • NO WAY! NO HOW!
  3. 3. Will any player have more than 14 TD receptions in 2023 - breaking the team record jointly held by Brandon Marshall, Art Powell and Don Maynard?

• YES! NO DOUBT!
    • Probably
    • It will be close!
    • Probably Not
    • NO WAY! NO HOW!

• Namath yards: Probs not, as the Offense will be too run-pass balanced with too many yards gobbled up by RBs.
  • AR pass for more than 31 TDS: Will be close. See below.
  • Don’t see the 14+ TDS. Lot of mouths to feed:
    • Garrett
    • Lazard
    • Hardman
    • Cobb
    • Davis
    • Mims
    • Breece
    • Carter
    • Conklin
    • Ruckert
    • Israel Adebayo
    • Uzomah

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Vader said:
  • Namath yards: Probs not, as the Offense will be too run-pass balanced with too many yards gobbled up by RBs.
    • Garrett
    • Lazard
    • Hardman
    • Cobb
    • Davis
    • Mims
    • Breece
    • Carter
    • Conklin
    • Ruckert
    • Israel Adebayo
    • Uzomah

You forgot Brandon Marshall

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

• Garrett
    • Lazard
    • Hardman
    • Cobb
    • Davis
    • Mims
    • Breece
    • Carter
    • Conklin
    • Ruckert
    • Israel Adebayo
    • Uzomah

LOL MIMS

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 4

It does show how inept our passing game has been when we are talking about AR beating Joe Namath’s single season 4007 yard record from way back in 1967. That was our only season in Jets history with a QB throwing for over 4K, while the Packers have had 17 seasons with QB’s throwing for over 4K (AR had 10 & Brett Favre had 5).

It would be really awesome if Aaron Rodgers could pass for over 4,000 yds this year . . . but more importantly I hope he can lead us back to the promise land for the first time in 55 years!

• Upvote 1

It's really just a matter of health permitting for the passing yards.  If he plays the whole year, he's all but certain to take that record.

Passing TDs there's a real chance but not certain, considering Rodgers has numerous years on the books with under 30 TDs throughout his career.  Even if the offense is successful, outside factors can quickly factor in, if for example Hall winds up with the majority of TDs once the Jets get inside the 10.  For as offensive-focused as the NFL has become, last year it was only Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen who had more than 31 passing TDs.  Meanwhile, there were 9 QBs who managed it the year before, so simply put they're not easily predictable numbers.

GW has the talent/potential for the receiving TDs, but I wouldn't bet on it happening, as similarly to the above point, there are many other factors beyond the individual player performance that can impact those numbers.  Unless the rest of the WRs are struggling this year, Rodgers is not likely to be forcing the ball to Wilson, which is most often the circumstances for NFL receivers who put up the biggest TD numbers.  Wilson will likely draw more coverage this season, particularly with opposing defenses to put far more focus on the passing game, and you'll probably see many circumstances with the likes of Lazard, Davis, and Conklin having more favorable match-ups in the red zone as coverage is being rolled in the other direction.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Will this be the year it Joe's record finally falls?

Love this. I am a stat nerd so I always project things, it will take x yards per game to break it blah blah blah. This time, especially with an extra game, it is going to happen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Probably

Probably

Probably not 

That's what I put too. There is never a guarantee with things like this (injury, ect.), but I could definitely see it. The 4007 yards is the most likely.

I can see GW catching 14 TD passes this season, if he stays healthy.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Love this. I am a stat nerd so I always project things, it will take x yards per game to break it blah blah blah. This time, especially with an extra game, it is going to happen.

Extra 3 games.  Namath did it in 14.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Yessir...14 games, with his WRs getting shell-shocked going over the middle and no such thing as 'ruffing the passer'!

can't believe it took 20 posts for this to be noted..

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Yessir...14 games, with his WRs getting shell-shocked going over the middle and no such thing as 'ruffing the passer'!

Nearly 300 yards per game is insane in that era, and is still impressive even today.  

Namath’s 4,007 would project out to nearly 5,000 today under the 17 game schedule.  Meaning that for Rodgers to break Namath’s yards/game mark over 17, he’d have to throw for 4,866 yards.

Crazy.  

• Upvote 1

I do not think ARs downturn was a fluke. I expect his performance will come no where near what fans are expecting and I expect him to miss several games to injury. Just do not like our plan at all. And to be honest I am not a fan either that us willing to trade long term success for one moon shot. I am a huge fan and will root my heart out for this team but I am no excited at all about this team.

55 year old record set with three less games than today... if you asked anyone whether the high-flying AFL Jets would be one of only two non-expansion teams to fail to have a 4,000 yard passer a half century after the merger... yeah, nobody would've made that bet.

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I do not think ARs downturn was a fluke. I expect his performance will come no where near what fans are expecting and I expect him to miss several games to injury. Just do not like our plan at all. And to be honest I am not a fan either that us willing to trade long term success for one moon shot. I am a huge fan and will root my heart out for this team but I am no excited at all about this team.

^^^ Thinks Zach Wilson is secretly good and Rodgers is secretly bad

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I know right? NFL wasn't quite the 'passing league' that it is now....'roughing the passer' was actually celebrated!

So true! I can’t remember if it was Dick Butkus or Ben Davidson who said we knock a guy down and then step on his face back then before the roughing the passer penalty and they both probably regularly did that to opposing QB’s. I just don’t know who the quote is attributed too, but I do know Broadway Joe definitely remembers playing against Ben Davidson . . . and probably still has nightmares because of him.

if you think Zach was running around a lot in the backfield with the current rules designed to protect the QB, back then Zach would have probably run straight backwards and right out of the stadium if he saw either Dick Butkus or Ben Davidson coming straight at him and wanting to take his head off (like they regularly did to Namath).

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Good Food Wow GIF by For(bes) The Culture

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nearly 300 yards per game is insane in that era, and is still impressive even today.  

Namath’s 4,007 would project out to nearly 5,000 today under the 17 game schedule.  Meaning that for Rodgers to break Namath’s yards/game mark over 17, he’d have to throw for 4,866 yards.

Crazy.  

61*

• Upvote 1