Jets save $9M by cutting or trading the following players

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Let’s see how camp goes 

Of course, you’re right.  Just a pre-camp prediction thread that is very fluid and subject to change.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see a move or 2 before the start of camp to free up cap space.

I’ll go first ;)

1. 50/50.  Ashtyn’s a core special teamer who has some value in a free safety group light on experience 

2. Bryce gets cut or traded based on his preseason.  He’s in the last year of his contract and the Jets recently signed back Javelin Guidry who can play outside or in the slot

They know what both players can do.

3. Bye bye.  I bet the Mims Jets journey ends sooner than later.

4. Crowded room in the interior.  Way too early to tell

5. Cut, hasn’t shown anything and I don’t expect him too

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. 50/50.  Ashtyn’s a core special teamer who has some value in a free safety group light on experience 

2. Bryce gets cut or traded based on his preseason.  He’s in the last year of his contract and the Jets recently signed back Javelin Guidry who can play outside or in the slot

They know what both players can do.

3. Bye bye.  I bet the Mims Jets journey ends sooner than later.

4. Crowded room in the interior.  Way too early to tell

5. Cut, hasn’t shown anything and I don’t expect him too

I pretty much agree except I would be a bit harsher and say that ALL of these guys are gone. Of course camp, injuries, FAs, trades will make an impact on the roster. But right now, these guys are probably all cut.  

Bryce is the one player that has some potential for being traded (6th round pick?), just because a couple of years ago he was the #1 CB and played pretty well for the Jets. Since then he fell off a cliff. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wolf of wall street omg GIF

I'm sorry it was such a dumb topic Barry.  Why don't you impart your amazing wisdom such as the Jets were going to wait until June 1st to trade for Rodgers.  That was a good one.

If you want to debate a topic, let's debate without the snarky response on something like a prediction thread on bubble players who haven't done much in their first few years in green. 

I think Ashtyn Davis barely makes the team.  He doesn’t make that much money, has special teams value and does know the system which gives him an advantage over a slightly less pricey FA or late round draft pick 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Ashtyn Davis = $2.7M

2. Bryce Hall = $2.7M

3. Denzel Mims = $1.4M

4. Trystan Colon-Castillo = $1.2M

5. Hamsah Nasirildeen = $1M

1. Who gets cut?

2. Who’s tradable?

You are talking about players just barely making more then the minimum and think it matters...  Only the top 51 count against the salary. So the difference between these players and a JAG is not enough to care.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

You are talking about players just barely making more then the minimum and think it matters...  Only the top 51 count against the salary. So the difference between these players and a JAG is not enough to care.

Fair point on the replacement costs but still think you save $5M on players who might be easily replaced.

Jets asked Lawson to take a $3M or so pay cut and Whitehead roughly $2M so they are definitely looking to reduce their overall cap hit (including pushing money to future years).

So while the topic is not a sexy one, it might be an approach the Jets look at.

1. Davis replaced by rookie draft pick

2. Hall traded for a 7th rounder and replaced by Guidry

3. Mims replaced by Charles or Kapp

4. Nasirildeen replaced by rookie draft pick

Who theF knows.  It was a topic for a slow day ;)..

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Ashtyn Davis = $2.7M

2. Bryce Hall = $2.7M

3. Denzel Mims = $1.4M

4. Trystan Colon-Castillo = $1.2M

5. Hamsah Nasirildeen = $1M

1. Who gets cut?

2. Who’s tradable?

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wolf of wall street omg GIF

all of them and add in Corey Davis and your put to $20 mill in addition the latest cap I think that would put us around $40 mil (not sure if accurate). the go get Kevin Board and trade for Davante Adam... spend it all. 

lol

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

I pretty much agree except I would be a bit harsher and say that ALL of these guys are gone. Of course camp, injuries, FAs, trades will make an impact on the roster. But right now, these guys are probably all cut.  

Bryce is the one player that has some potential for being traded (6th round pick?), just because a couple of years ago he was the #1 CB and played pretty well for the Jets. Since then he fell off a cliff. 

I’m keeping Ashtyn. He was a 3rd rounder, is good on special teams and occasionally makes a big play. He’d be a good backup, is athletic and is still a young pup. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I’m keeping Ashtyn. He was a 3rd rounder, is good on special teams and occasionally makes a big play. He’d be a good backup, is athletic and is still a young pup. 

Eh. Agree to disagree. 

IMO his big plays are extremely limited. He's 26. Where he was drafted should (at this point) have absolutely no standing. And we have a bevy of younger UDFAs who can most likely fill his role on specials. 

JMHO. To me, he just does not add enough as a backup, which is the only area where he would edge out some of the UDFAs we signed (due to experience). And even then, Parks and Adams would be ahead of him. And we are not cutting Converse, who I believe will be looked at as a Safety. 

If anything keep an eye on Marquis Waters to crack the roster instead, as a demon on specials and versatile safety. Unlikely. But I'd put my money on him over Ash Davis. JMHO. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/6/2023 at 10:17 AM, PepPep said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the scheme change? I don't remember, was that Gase's last year? You certainly wouldn't want him as your #1 CB but you're right, he was pretty good that year. I was hopeful he could be a really solid CB2