Yankees dumped HICKS, just as he started to hit.

I don't buy into the B.S that certain players can't play in NY, many if not most get better in NY, some stay the same and Sonny Gray mostly keeps his mouth shut but Yankees analytics told him to pitch differently in NY so don't blame the venue and fans, that's a bit pompous, in thinking its so crazy special to play in NY, it isn't anymore.It's not like other teams don't trade for guys and they play worse in Detroit, Cleveland or Pittsburgh also.

Joey Gallo was a lifetime .209 hitter with a gazillion KO's no matter where he played and the lack of a shift has helped him dramatically, if he STILL playED in NY, he'd be getting more hits this year too with 2 guys on the right side instead of 3, simple math and numbers, Yankee stadium was a bad FIT for him too, he has enough power where he didn't need the very short porch , he needed more room in RF/RC for balls to fall in.

Yes, the pressure builds but had he joined this season instead of 2 seasons back, he probably does the same thing he's doing now , no shift is huge for him.

Hicks is also a pull hitter helped on both sides by the no shift rule AND he was starting to hit with YAnkees, but personally, I'm still glad to get rid of him, he's not a smart player but mostly because I think Jake Bauers is actually young enough at 27 where, I can ignore what the back of the baseball card say's about him (usually it tells the story) the same way i won't be crazy surprised if Yankees dump Florial and he's hitting dingers next year for a different major league team.

Bauers had very minimal chances because he was pretty bad when he did get them (like FLorial) but Yankees seem to think he figured some stuff out and right now that's the way it looks to me too, he looks like we might have gotten lucky with him, big win for Cashman and company if true, i think and hope it is, a 30 HR type LH hitting outfielder who can field pretty well to is just what the Dr ordered.

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I would have stuck with hicks.  He is a very good defensive outfielder even when he wasn’t hitting which was basically his entire tenure here

Gallo was a strikeout machine.  Was very glad to see him go

Has been a bad outfielder the last 2 years, with a crap arm to go with it.

13 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I would have stuck with hicks.  He is a very good defensive outfielder even when he wasn’t hitting which was basically his entire tenure here

Gallo was a strikeout machine.  Was very glad to see him go

You haven’t been watching Hicks past few years, his defense has been abysmal, afraid of walls, bad judgement on throws, misjudging fly balls, almost worse than his base running and hitting but all that said, I wouldn’t have dumped him, he was starting to hit and look at the injuries again to Judge and Bader.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 7:05 AM, Leftylarry said:

You haven’t been watching Hicks past few years, his defense has been abysmal, afraid of walls, bad judgement on throws, misjudging fly balls, almost worse than his base running and hitting but all that said, I wouldn’t have dumped him, he was starting to hit and look at the injuries again to Judge and Bader.

This aged well

• Haha 1