Saleh: Duane Brown is going to be a "hard out"

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

sure, decide in training camp but someone needs to be penciled in at starting guard. If I'm making the depth chart there's no way Tomlinson is handed a starting spot after his performance last year. McGovern was average to below average last year at his second best position. Tomlinson was really bad.

Tomlinson was a pro bowl guard the year before the Jets signed him. I can’t believe that his ability to play at a high level just vanished in the space of one year. Really expecting a bounce back year from him. At least I hope last year was an aberration and not what he has become 

• Upvote 3

Anyone who plays with the injury he had last year when he could have just as easily had the surgery, collected his salary and not one person would have said boo says a lot about the man. 
I agree with Saleh Brown is going to be a “hard out”!!  My money is on Brown for sure 

I wonder how much they are hoping the young man (Becton) learns something from the old man (Brown) about how to carry and take care of himself in a league with a injury rate . Becton has all the talent and tools you want in a LT , seems like he needs to mature a little to reach his potential.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jetsfan56 said:

I wonder how much they are hoping the young man (Becton) learns something from the old man (Brown) about how to carry and take care of himself in a league with a emoji817.png injury rate emoji120.png. Becton has all the talent and tools you want in a LT , seems like he needs to mature a little to reach his potential.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You’d like to think that watching someone like Brown go about his business of being a professional NFL offensive lineman he would have learned something about commitment to his craft and wanting to get better but solely based on his social media musings I don’t think he’s learned a dam thing. 
Despite all his bellyaching about his position As of now he’s NOT A LEFT TACKLE he’s just another guy trying to make the team and the only reason he’s still on this roster was his draft position and money he’s owed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wit said:

If I’m becton I shut my mouth or ask for a trade and hold out.

Yes, hold out, I'm sure that'll work in his favor. Quite a resume has has going for himself currently. Flashed rookie year, injured next two. Came in poorly conditioned, if at all, last year. Is in shape for year four seemingly (contract year), but is running his mouth on social media already. Then, following your advice, holding out in this scenario. Yeah, should be easy to find a trade partner for him who isn't concerned about his injuries or the possibility that he eats himself out of the league after getting a big contract which some team has to give up compensation for the rights to give said big contract. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

AVT is as versatile as they come.

sure... AVT might be the best LT and RT on the roster too but he can't play everywhere at once

it's better for his development if they find him a spot and park him there. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Hard to believe that Brown won't be recovered from a rotator cuff almost a year after it happened. It's a rotator cuff.

Brown had the surgery after the season.  On March 1st they described it as recent surgery.  He kept playing despite the injury, so it is kind of hard to hate on him, but I don't know when he actually had it.  At some point in January or February.  I think it was considered 4-6 months, so he is just getting there now. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Tomlinson was a pro bowl guard the year before the Jets signed him. I can’t believe that his ability to play at a high level just vanished in the space of one year. Really expecting a bounce back year from him. At least I hope last year was an aberration and not what he has become 

I hope he bounces back this year too, but 2022 was really rough. Maybe he played through an undisclosed injury or something. As of now, he's a backup so far as I'm concerned.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I hope he bounces back this year too, but 2022 was really rough. Maybe he played through an undisclosed injury or something. As of now, he's a backup so far as I'm concerned.

Possible injury that nobody in the media knew about

The only thing I can think of about Tomlinson rapid decline in play is he was playing between a well below average center in McGovern and a one armed right tackle in Brown. Might have wanted to help them out in doing their assignments instead of concentrating on his own job. Like I said he should not have had such a woeful performance last year as he’s still young so age shouldn’t be a factor in his decline as he was just God awful last year 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CSNY said:

He went from playing next to the best LT in all of football to George Fant over night. Trent's leadership and communication skills is off the charts. Williams has a quick hip tap system in pass pro to communicate stunts/switches that I haven't see anyone do so fluidity. But hopefully it wasn't Trent who made him and perhaps he can stand on his own and perform this coming season. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CSNY said:

Possible injury that nobody in the media knew about

The only thing I can think of about Tomlinson rapid decline in play is he was playing between a well below average center in McGovern and a one armed right tackle in Brown. Might have wanted to help them out in doing their assignments instead of concentrating on his own job. Like I said he should not have had such a woeful performance last year as he’s still young so age shouldn’t be a factor in his decline as he was just God awful last year 

I thought maybe if it was his right rotator cuff it would explain Duane allowing more pressure to hit the B gap but it was actually his left shoulder.

That said, and thinking about It. A bad left shoulder would cause a LT to compensate with his right arm by widening the gap between him and LG. 

Either way, having a job that involves blocking with only one arm probably sucks.  And it probably sucks to play right next to that guy.

Brown is the starting LT no doubt about it. Mekhi will be 2nd on the depth chart if he earns it (and number 1 RT). AVT will be emergency RT if they have disastrous injuries again like last year with Mcgovern moving to RG. I’d also think the rookie wins the starting C job over Mcgovern. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Brown is the starting LT no doubt about it. Mekhi will be 2nd on the depth chart if he earns it (and number 1 RT). AVT will be emergency RT if they have disastrous injuries again like last year with Mcgovern moving to RG. I’d also think the rookie wins the starting C job over Mcgovern. 

Maybe.  In your scenario, if Brown goes out: Becton moves to LT, AVT moves to RT, and Mcgovern comes off the bench to play RG. That’s changing personal at 3/5 positions. 

I’d like to think one of our swing tackles (Max Mitchell, Billy Turner, Carter Warren, Yodney Cajuste) would just step up and play RT.

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Maybe.  In your scenario, if Brown goes out: Becton moves to LT, AVT moves to RT, and Mcgovern comes off the bench to play RG. That’s changing personal at 3/5 positions. 

I’d like to think one of our swing tackles (Max Mitchell, Billy Turner, Carter Warren, Yodney Cajuste) would just step up and play RT.

Mitchell could hopefully hold the fort if 1 of Becton or Brown goes down. If they lose both those guys that’s when they’d most likely kick AVT outside like they did last year. Mcgovern having experience at C and G lengthens our depth on OLine. The wildcard is if Tippman can step in day 1 and be a quality starter. 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saleh is desperately hoping someone steps up and wins the RT job over Becton so he can sit him down.

Though that scenario might be best for Becton anyways:  Starting on the bench only to appear later in the season at LT due to injury or whatever is better for him than getting locked in as a RT.

No one associated with the team hopes for anything but Becton securing a starting job this year and playing well. If it’s going to be at RT, so be it. He’s in the last year of a fully guaranteed deal. Jets will want to know if they want to resign him after this year and, if not, will want to maximize whatever comp pick they get for him. Both scenarios require him to play. 

The only OL they could potentially save money on would be Brown and his non-guaranteed $9M salary this year, but I don’t think they’ll play any games there. I expect Becton to start at RT, and be the backup at LT should they need him there with the next man up moving into his RT spot. They only moved AVT from guard to tackle out of desperation last season and added a bunch of tackles to avoid that situation this year. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

sure... AVT might be the best LT and RT on the roster too but he can't play everywhere at once

it's better for his development if they find him a spot and park him there. 

Maybe I just don’t think switching sides as a guard is a big deal at all. Kicking outside to tackle - to each side, no less - and doing a competent job of it only shows how this one moves around effortlessly. His growth was stunted by injury, not by moving from LG to RG.

Especially with so much zone played these days, they’re so often all moving in the same direction off the snap anyway.

This weak complaint isn’t nearly like a LT/RT swap, let alone with a tackle that has a past injury that could affect that flip.

6 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He went from playing next to the best LT in all of football to George Fant over night. Trent's leadership and communication skills is off the charts. Williams has a quick hip tap system in pass pro to communicate stunts/switches that I haven't see anyone do so fluidity. But hopefully it wasn't Trent who made him and perhaps he can stand on his own and perform this coming season. 

iirc Williams credited Tomlinson with helping him, not the other way around. Trying to find the interview now but I remember reading it after we added Tomlinson.

Also as great as he is after the back is snapped, Williams was recently (end of their season) criticized for tipping the play type (at least pass vs run) by his stance.

3 hours ago, slats said:

No one associated with the team hopes for anything but Becton securing a starting job this year and playing well. If it’s going to be at RT, so be it. He’s in the last year of a fully guaranteed deal. Jets will want to know if they want to resign him after this year and, if not, will want to maximize whatever comp pick they get for him. Both scenarios require him to play. 

The only OL they could potentially save money on would be Brown and his non-guaranteed $9M salary this year, but I don’t think they’ll play any games there. I expect Becton to start at RT, and be the backup at LT should they need him there with the next man up moving into his RT spot. They only moved AVT from guard to tackle out of desperation last season and added a bunch of tackles to avoid that situation this year. 

Probably going to push Becton to RT, but keep him on a short leash in the event he stinks at it or whines about it. They have four other guys on the roster who could be passable ORTs outside of Becton, so Saleh isn’t beholden to making Becton work there, especially with Becton’s contract situation

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Very true about Williams but then by the same token reverse can be true playing next to a one legged Fant, a one armed Brown and a less than mediocre center in McGovern I see better play by a healthy Brown and a upgrade  at center in Tippaman which will elevate Tomlinson play as well

As an example when the Jets switched out Van Rotten for The Doc two years ago line improved dramatically from way below average to at least average line play 

15 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Hard to believe that Brown won't be recovered from a rotator cuff almost a year after it happened. It's a rotator cuff.

When players 38 and up on the offense line they tend to breakdown at some point. I don’t care how durable they been in their career , as they age there’s more chance of them being lost for long bouts of the season. See Donald Penn never missed a start in his career gets up there and had trouble staying on the field.     Tough to put all your eggs in that 38 year old. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's motivation 

Ottis Anderson used to say if Bill Parcells was yelling at you, that's good 

it's when He stops yelling at you that's bad 

Becton has enough talent to keep these coaches interested and they want to get the most out of him 

I was just going to say this. This is a Bill Parcells technique to motivate a player. When the Giants would play a team with an elite pass rusher, Parcells would yelling during practice to Simms that so and so os going to be all over you if you don't  get the ball out fast. That was to motivate the OL. This is pretty much the same thing.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I was just going to say this. This is a Bill Parcells technique to motivate a player. When the Giants would play a team with an elite pass rusher, Parcells would yelling during practice to Simms that so and so os going to be all over you if you don't  get the ball out fast. That was to motivate the OL. This is pretty much the same thing.

Except that Duane Brown is going to be starting at LT.  This is more of a soft landing to say it doesn't mean that Becton sucks when he is competing for the RT slot.  

Also, **** Bill Parcells. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bicketybam said:

I think a healthy and motivated Becton is a better LT than Old Man Brown. That said, I think Becton is probably worlds better at RT than Brown would ever be. You have to go with what makes the team the best.

If you had to put $1000 on which one is more likely to be healthy by mid October, which would it be?

21 hours ago, undertow said:

I.AM.A.RIGHT. TACKLE!!! - Fatty McFaterson

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saleh is desperately hoping someone steps up and wins the RT job over Becton so he can sit him down.

Though that scenario might be best for Becton anyways:  Starting on the bench only to appear later in the season at LT due to injury or whatever is better for him than getting locked in as a RT.

Becton played some on the right side in college, which was like 16 games played ago. Duane Brown is 37 and has never been on the right side, ever. He even sleeps alone on the left side of the bed.

"I.AM.A.LEFT.TACKLE." Well, then WTF is Duane Brown? Becton has negative self-awareness.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, jgb said:

Becton played some on the right side in college, which was like 16 games played ago. Duane Brown is 37 and has never been on the right side, ever. He even sleeps alone on the left side of the bed.

"I.AM.A.LEFT.TACKLE." Well, then WTF is Duane Brown? Becton has negative self-awareness.

Hey, it seems like you're lacking in the awareness he went on a diet & worked out hard this offseason, Bucko.

Like, how embarrassed are you now?

• Haha 2