Saleh: Duane Brown is going to be a "hard out"

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Except that Duane Brown is going to be starting at LT.  This is more of a soft landing to say it doesn't mean that Becton sucks when he is competing for the RT slot.  

Also, **** Bill Parcells. 

Becton will simply move to LT when Brown is hurt.  AVT will slide to RT or we put in Mitchell 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Duane Brown is not necessarily going to be ready for Week 1 

Tippmann winning the job as a rookie, PFF calls him the 31st ranked center 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-center-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2023-nfl-season

PFF once had Darron Lee as a top 5 rated LB.  Zero point zero credibility 

OL was not the issue last year.  We had 3 putrid quarterbacks.  The starter couldn’t see a blitz if it was directly pointed out to him and the other 2 were statues 

Just now, Rich Thornburgh said:

that aside a rookie playing his first NFL football against Buffalo on national TV isn't ideal 

that whole first 6 game stretch is a monster in fact

there's a possibility they signed McGovern to ease Joe Tippmann in slowly

we should be aware Tippmann wasn't a first rounder like mangold he was a second-rounder and that doesn't necessarily mean he's ready day 1 

so just to review they don't know who the LT will be they don't know who the C will be and they aren't completely sure at RT either 

that's not the makings of a "Great" OL 

maybe it can be great once they figure it out but right now it's musical chairs 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

so just to review they don't know who the LT will be they don't know who the C will be and they aren't completely sure at RT either 

that's not the makings of a "Great" OL 

maybe it can be great once they figure it out but right now it's musical chairs 

Ok so let’s first approach the straw man argument.  No one said this will be a great offensive line.  I do think it will be a good offensive line however

If Brown doesn’t start at LT, Becton will.  Becton was very good at LT as a rookie he just needs to stay healthy and all reports are that he is in great shape working hard on conditioning.  We drafted Tippman because the plan will probably be Tippman at C, McGovern at RG and AVT at tackle if your “nightmare” scenario regarding brown not being ready comes true

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

we should be aware Tippmann wasn't a first rounder like mangold he was a second-rounder and that doesn't necessarily mean he's ready day 1 

So if he went 12 picks earlier, we could’ve counted on him being ready? 

23 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Becton will simply move to LT when Brown is hurt.  AVT will slide to RT or we put in Mitchell 

Simply?  You are expecting Becton to outlast Duane Brown?  Duane Brown has played 45 games in the last three seasons.  46 if count the playoffs.  Becton has played 15.  My math says that Becton has played 739 snaps since he was drafted and during that time, Duane Brown has played 2,825.  Seems like an unlikely scenario to me. 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I can't imagine AVT would be the #2 RT or LT absent a repeat of last year's injury rate.

TBH Becton might not even move to LT right away unless they know Brown's going to be out for at least 2 games to keep 4/5 of the line as it was. I can't see them moving 3/5 of the line for one player swap, or it defeats the purpose of these other tackles making the roster.

If it's likely for one game - and depending on the opponent's presumed RE - I think they stick Turner (or even Mitchell) on the left side for the week. Multiple games - particularly if it's an IR thing - then I think they move Becton to LT & put Mitchell or Turner at RT.

There'd have to be a couple injuries to move AVT to tackle to RT. More likely they'd move AVT to LT and keep Becton at RT so it's still fewer positions moving, before we'd see moving AVT to RT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Except that Duane Brown is going to be starting at LT.  This is more of a soft landing to say it doesn't mean that Becton sucks when he is competing for the RT slot.  

This was to motivate Becton. We don't  even know if Brown can make it through the season.

Simply?  You are expecting Becton to outlast Duane Brown?  Duane Brown has played 45 games in the last three seasons.  46 if count the playoffs.  Becton has played 15.  My math says that Becton has played 739 snaps since he was drafted and during that time, Duane Brown has played 2,825.  Seems like an unlikely scenario to me. 
I like the younger guy with less mileage on his body.

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This was to motivate Becton. We don't  even know if Brown can make it through the season.

I think they actually want Brown there as more than a camp fodder decoy.

If the goal was to motivate Becton, they'd be holding a competition for the position, not (effectively) communicating that the job is Brown's unless he's not healthy enough (or unless he starts to falter on his own). 

Brown made it through the season with a torn shoulder. Durability isn't a major concern with him any more than it is with AVT (let alone compared to Becton).

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We don't know if Brown can make it through the season?  What a strange thing to say when making this about Becton. 

16 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I like the younger guy with less mileage on his body.

Mileage?  Who is happy about low mileage when the guy spit his kneecap out two years in a row?

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, chirorob said:
If you had to put $1000 on which one is more likely to be healthy by mid October, which would it be?

Becton.

You are not a very successful gambler, are you?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The last two camps Becton “participated” in he was the worst player in the field. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Tomlinson is the Week 1 starting LG barring injury.  However, depending on how the roster shapes out, his leash may be on the shorter side.

The biggest camp battle is Tippman vs. McGovern at OC.  I predict the rookie will show enough ability and potential to get the starting nod.

Max Mitchell is the primary backup OT.  If Becton gets hurt, Mitchell replaces him.  If Brown gets hurt, Becton slides over to the left side and Mitchell goes in at RT.

You are not a very successful gambler, are you?
The kneecap injury had nothing to do with being injury prone. It was an unfortunate event. I don't see it as a chronic issue. Brown is 38 with a lot of wear and tear in him. I doubt he lasts the year.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hey, it seems like you're lacking in the awareness he went on a diet & worked out hard this offseason, Bucko.

Like, how embarrassed are you now?

Becton when he looks in the mirror after his weight loss

D5BEC36B-0B95-4C50-927A-98D17F5CCA24.gif.2680515c1789a2b61a5b4fab133289a1.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

OL was not the issue last year.  We had 3 putrid quarterbacks.  The starter couldn’t see a blitz if it was directly pointed out to him and the other 2 were statues 

So being wrong once is all it takes to have zero point zero credibility. I guess everyone sucks even Ozzie Newsome who drafted several bust QBs before hitting “the jackpot” with Flucco.

I wonder how some of you would measure up to your own purity tests directed inward. Actually, I don’t wonder, I know. Mega fail. Because it’s an impossible standard.

51 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The kneecap injury had nothing to do with being injury prone. It was an unfortunate event. I don't see it as a chronic issue. Brown is 38 with a lot of wear and tear in him. I doubt he lasts the year.

I guess we will see.  I am not going to get into what constitutes being a chronic issue, but when a guy misses 2 full seasons because of the same body part based on 2 different incidents, I find it concerning.  More concerning than age. 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I guess we will see.  I am not going to get into what constitutes being a chronic issue, but when a guy misses 2 full seasons because of the same body part based on 2 different incidents, I find it concerning.  More concerning than age. 

Agree but hey at least he didn’t show up to camp gigantically overweight this year.

AB0C2C52-7B97-4F81-BA69-BB23B468DA50.gif.43a2b44d7978a8fabd7affa543078dd2.gif

Thinner doesn’t equate to in shape or fit, as many seem to think Becton is. He’s barely participated in OTA’s and he was moving like a giant sloth in the video I saw. He’s going to get eaten alive by pass rushers if he even makes it onto the field in a regular game.

The Probowl and All Pro predictions are pure delusion. “bUt He iS NoW a fAtHeR!” Lol 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Thinner doesn’t equate to in shape or fit, as many seem to think Becton is. He’s barely participated in OTA’s and he was moving like a giant sloth in the video I saw. He’s going to get eaten alive by pass rushers if he even makes it onto the field in a regular game.

The Probowl and All Pro predictions are pure delusion. “bUt He iS NoW a fAtHeR!” Lol 

He hasn’t been cleared yet , he’s still under the care of his surgeon. He had a full reconstruction. The goal is to be ready for camp. The guy he’s been working out with has been focusing on his endurance and being in shape, not just lifting. 

The second incident was caused by the first incident. They never fixed it. So as far as I am concerned it's all the same injury.

Kevin Mawae was a 2nd rd. pick. So was Jim Sweeney, RIP. Joe Fields was a late round pick.  Just saying.

Becton has a great opportunity to contribute to something good, and make a lot of money. Just do it.

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The second incident was caused by the first incident. They never fixed it. So as far as I am concerned it's all the same injury.

That's fair cuz I consider it the same excuse. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Probably going to push Becton to RT, but keep him on a short leash in the event he stinks at it or whines about it. They have four other guys on the roster who could be passable ORTs outside of Becton, so Saleh isn’t beholden to making Becton work there, especially with Becton’s contract situation

They want Becton to start because he’s still the most potentially dominant player they have on the OL. They back-filled with depth because of the great tackle famine last year, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want their best players on the field. Becton being in the last year of his deal simply means this is the last chance for them to decide whether to resign him or cut bait after the season. Either way, it’s better for them if he plays and plays well, whether it’s to prove he deserves to be here next year or nets them a decent comp pick. 

• Upvote 1