Saleh cancels minicamp

The big questions Saleh and the Jets need to sort out revolve around four guys who aren’t practicing right now, and three of whom probably wouldn’t be available next week in Becton, Duane Brown, and Carter Warren. The fourth guy is Rodgers, who they clearly are holding back on a pitch count. It’s puss to give away practice time, and being soft in camp has paid zero dividends for Saleh the past two seasons, but whatev. The season is all about keeping Rodgers happy.

16 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think it makes much difference.  Most of the players were at OTA's. 

alright - if you think a team that went 7-10 last year and brought in basically a completely new offense, that hasn't had a winning season since 2015 doesn't need the practice time, then alright!

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Am I supposed to be up in arms over the cancellation of a 3 day minicamp, especially when the Jets are playing an extra pre-season game?

Is that what was going to push us over the top this year?

Well there are 31 teams working hard to put the time in to have a successful season . The Jets can believe they have arrived, and believe their press clippings.    Only thing that’s going to prove that they have , is their won loss record. ( joking minicamp in shorts means nothing for their season .       
Seriously the type of training camp you run , can affect how you come out of the gate .(don’t donate a lot time to tackling in training camp , and that could effect you early in the season.   ( Jets have pretty tough schedule early.

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I found a bunch of times where you vaguely alluded to it then got weirdly evasive when people pressed you on it, like now. I will adjust my fandom accordingly.

I know that I heard it or saw it somewhere.
It was after a blow out loss, a player said Saleh worked them too hard in practice.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If you're paying attention it is so obvious the way the Jets have managed this off-season that they don't believe they are realistically capable of a serious run.

Call me a Troll if you want - but I think it's pretty obvious if you really look at how they managed the off-season.  

Appease the fan base by giving up a kings ransom for Rodgers - and put together a competitive roster.  

It's what they've done and this will be a very competitive team week in and week out. -

But they don't believe this roster is capable of beating the KC's, Cincy's and SF's of the world - and they're clearly not going all in to try and get themselves there.

Actually pretty much everything they’ve done this offseason says the complete opposite of the bs you’re pushing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

alright - if you think a team that went 7-10 last year and brought in basically a completely new offense, that hasn't had a winning season since 2015 doesn't need the practice time, then alright!

Sorry, but I think they are practicing. They are practicing practically the same amount of a normal season without the HOF game. They also have removed the biggest problem  for going 7-10, the QB. They also brought in an OC that worked with Rogers so Rogers already knows the system. A couple of days of practice are not going to make this team into a SB contender if they are not one already. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I get not liking it but I remember last year when there were dire predictions about softness and a lack of physicality which didn't pan out. If they look completely disjointed in September I'll pull my pitchfork out

Plus after much fewer practices the first year of COVID there were predictions that the start of the season was going to full of missed plays and tackles.  Didn’t happen.  Same with “only” 3 preseason games, was going to lead to a lesser brand of football.  Never happened.  Actually seemed like the opposite was true.

Now it’s 3 practices which were cancelled because they have an extra week of practices and an extra preseason game. The sky is falling at club med

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

This might be counter intuitive but if Saleh is the Zach Wilson of NFL HC's which is likely, less practice time might be a plus.  

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This might be counter intuitive but if Saleh is the Zach Wilson of NFL HC's which is likely, less practice time might be a plus.  

This is something I hadn’t thought of. Good point potentially.

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

Without the mini-camp, the Jets still have more practice time than 30 other teams in the NFL. 

There is absolutely no need for anyone to be stressed over this.  Even here on JN!

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If you're paying attention it is so obvious the way the Jets have managed this off-season that they don't believe they are realistically capable of a serious run.

Call me a Troll if you want - but I think it's pretty obvious if you really look at how they managed the off-season.  

Appease the fan base by giving up a kings ransom for Rodgers - and put together a competitive roster.  

It's what they've done and this will be a very competitive team week in and week out. -

But they don't believe this roster is capable of beating the KC's, Cincy's and SF's of the world - and they're clearly not going all in to try and get themselves there.

I'd rather not call you a troll.

Instead of 'troll' how about "Captain of Asininity"?   

Jets believe they have a roster that will take them to a championship. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

How do you like Amsterdam? 

I love it. Great city. Very rich and proud history, a strong sense of architecture and design everywhere. Fantastic art, from the STRAAT to the Rijksmuseum. A different beer culture for me, and I’m also morally unopposed to coffee shops and over the counter ‘shrooms. Overall, a fantastic time. We’re only doing four nights here, I’d happily come back. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Sorry, but I think they are practicing. They are practicing practically the same amount of a normal season without the HOF game. They also have removed the biggest problem  for going 7-10, the QB. They also brought in an OC that worked with Rogers so Rogers already knows the system. A couple of days of practice are not going to make this team into a SB contender if they are not one already. 

the whole bonus of being in the HOF game is to get the extra practices.  that's one of the benefits of being in it this year.  I'm not worried about rogers knowing the playbook, i'm worried about everyone else.  wasn't that the problem in GB, him playing with a bunch of young guys that didn't grasp the system?  seems awful familiar now.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Without the mini-camp, the Jets still have more practice time than 30 other teams in the NFL. 

There is absolutely no need for anyone to be stressed over this.  Even here on JN!

i'm by no means stressed, the jets don't stress me out anymore.  i'm just amazed that the HC of a team, in a year where it's pretty much his job if they aren't successful, is cancelling practices when there's a new QB and system to familiarize the rest of the roster with.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

the jets also believed wilson, darnold, hackenberg, petty, geno and sanchez were the QBs of the future.  they also believed that wilkerson, richardson, leonard williams, coples, etc were steals.  i'm not too keen on trusting what the jets believe.

14 minutes ago, heymangold said:

the whole bonus of being in the HOF game is to get the extra practices.  that's one of the benefits of being in it this year.  I'm not worried about rogers knowing the playbook, i'm worried about everyone else.  wasn't that the problem in GB, him playing with a bunch of young guys that didn't grasp the system?  seems awful familiar now.

i'm by no means stressed, the jets don't stress me out anymore.  i'm just amazed that the HC of a team, in a year where it's pretty much his job if they aren't successful, is cancelling practices when there's a new QB and system to familiarize the rest of the roster with.

Even w/out minicamp, Jets have more practice time than any other team. It really makes no difference at all. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, slats said:

I’ve been posting at all hours because I’ve been in Europe for the last couple weeks. Been a bit of a whirlwind. I’m in Amsterdam now, sharing an Airbnb with my daughter and her friend. Tomorrow we’re off to Bruges. 

If ya find yourself in Munich, hit me up, friend-o. We can have that overdue peace drink.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, heymangold said:

the jets also believed wilson, darnold, hackenberg, petty, geno and sanchez were the QBs of the future.  they also believed that wilkerson, richardson, leonard williams, coples, etc were steals.  i'm not too keen on trusting what the jets believe.

So you think that Fido is correct and that the Jets do not think they will get to the championship and therefore they won't even try this year?  Because that's what Fido is claiming and frankly, it's moronic.  I mean REALLY moronic to the lowest level of morondom.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, troll seems to fit. 

• Upvote 1

By the way, for all of you pearl-clutchers, Doug Pederson cancelled the Jaguar mandatory minicamp last year for all veterans:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/12/doug-pederson-scraps-mandatory-minicamp-for-most-veteran-players/

Then, you remember that the Jets have more training camp time this year than 30 other NFL teams and you wonder what the fuss is about. But then you remember that this is JN and we are jets fans :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Better.

Think I'm an ass all you want - but I am speaking, what I believe to be, the truth.  

You might think they're a Super Bowl contender, I might think it - and heck, maybe they are....

But Jets management do not.  Well, not a serious one anyway.

That is all I'm saying.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So you think that Fido is correct and that the Jets do not think they will get to the championship and therefore they won't even try this year?  Because that's what Fido is claiming and frankly, it's moronic.  I mean REALLY moronic to the lowest level of morondom.

No one is saying they're not trying.  Just like JD has been managing the team for the past 5 years (or any GM building a program). You build while planning for the future - but when you really think you have a legitimate shot to make a Super Bowl run.  You go for it.

It's very clear the Jets aren't "going for it"  This is a business as usual year.  

They expect to be better and to get into the playoffs - but that seems to be the height of their realistic expectations.

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You might think they're a Super Bowl contender, I might think it - and heck, maybe they are....

But Jets management do not.  Well, not a serious one anyway.

And this is based on… what? Cancelling three June practices? 

They did not invest all they have in Aaron Rodgers without thinking this is a team that can win a few post season games with him. Believing anything other than that would be silly. 

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I was just listening to Bartt Scott talk about this on the radio. What he said is the beginning of camp is when you actually lose shape and by giving guys more time away, that is more time they are lifting, running, and working out with personal trainers that they pay themselves. The beginning of camp, there are so many guys around, you just don't  get the reps. People think the first team gets the reps. That is during the season. In camp, we want to see that undrafted FA. He is getting the work. They already know Bartt is going to make the team. The other thing is Saleh makes this decision based on what he sees. If he thinks the team has looked good and are picking up things, he can make this decision.  

• Upvote 1