Schefter- PGA Tour and Liv Golf Merge

You know, I'm a traditionalist and golf is a traditional game but I think in this case, Phil Mickelson explained it best and got me on his side:

"""I'm pushing 50 years old, if i agree to attend a tourney, the TV viewership might go up by 50,000- 500,000  or more for that tourney, the attendance goes up too, people purchase hats and shirts etc , the pGA, local club and TV all make a lot of money and i might miss the cut or finish 32nd and not even pay my expenses for the week , how is that fair?""""

Now, my being an American, to me, getting rid of the Saudi's or any foreign entity in the sport, OK the brits, scots and Irish invented it, LOL , is a good idea but unfortunately  and too all of our chagrin, that isn't what is going on now in the world, money talks, along with LEFTIST policies though , in this case, Money talked louder, left hates the Saudi's.

Whoa, this is not what I would have predicted from Jay Monahan, what a turn of events.  I think the PGA had to do this, especially w/ LIV showing out in the Majors but I didnt expect it to happen so quickly.  Especially w/ all the vitriol that has been spread..  I think this is good for golf but man, if I were a PGA member who had a big offer and turned it down to stay on the tour, not sure how I'd feel about this situation and if I'm a LIV dude who took a boat load of money and is not essentially part of the umbrella tour, I'm laughing my ass off. 

@southparkcpa @Green Ghost @Jimmy 2 Times @Stark @Pac

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Whoa, this is not what I would have predicted from Jay Monahan, what a turn of events.  I think the PGA had to do this, especially w/ LIV showing out in the Majors but I didnt expect it to happen so quickly.  Especially w/ all the vitriol that has been spread..  I think this is good for golf but man, if I were a PGA member who had a big offer and turned it down to stay on the tour, not sure how I'd feel about this situation and if I'm a LIV dude who took a boat load of money and is not essentially part of the umbrella tour, I'm laughing my ass off. 

Thread already on main board Brah. 

• Haha 2

I like this thread better....

and yes surprised and to the LIV guys that got paid and essentially shorter mandated travel, good for them. 

I don't really have an issue with the merging, but Monahan looks real bad in all of this.

18 minutes ago, Stark said:

I like this thread better....

and yes surprised and to the LIV guys that got paid and essentially shorter mandated travel, good for them. 

I don't really have an issue with the merging, but Monahan looks real bad in all of this.

It's all about the money.  He was all smiles during his interview this morning.  

3 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

You know, I'm a traditionalist and golf is a traditional game but I think in this case, Phil Mickelson explained it best and got me on his side:

"""I'm pushing 50 years old, if i agree to attend a tourney, the TV viewership might go up by 50,000- 500,000  or more for that tourney, the attendance goes up too, people purchase hats and shirts etc , the pGA, local club and TV all make a lot of money and i might miss the cut or finish 32nd and not even pay my expenses for the week , how is that fair?""""

Now, my being an American, to me, getting rid of the Saudi's or any foreign entity in the sport, OK the brits, scots and Irish invented it, LOL , is a good idea but unfortunately  and too all of our chagrin, that isn't what is going on now in the world, money talks, along with LEFTIST policies though , in this case, Money talked louder, left hates the Saudi's.

https://sports.yahoo.com/phil-mickelson-career-earnings-top-160007770.html

he's made $1B playing golf.    not too shabby

the top golfers (top 10 or so) need players 50-100.  otherwise they wouldn't be able to have interesting tournaments.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Watching golf channel now, sounds like Jay Monahan is going to have to some serious damage control based on my above comment.  Some of the guys who turned down LIV are furious.  They turned down hundreds of millions of dollars, money they're not guaranteed to make on the tour, and now they're coming together to make a for profit entity.  Not sure what they're going to be able to do about it ultimately but wow, I'd be fuming as well.  . 

Wish I had the money, someone should start another league right now, they could attract a lot of players.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Watching golf channel now, sounds like Jay Monahan is going to have to some serious damage control based on my above comment.  Some of the guys who turned down LIV are furious.  They turned down hundreds of millions of dollars, money they're not guaranteed to make on the tour, and now they're coming together to make a for profit entity.  Not sure what they're going to be able to do about it ultimately but wow, I'd be fuming as well.  . 

Wish I had the money, someone should start another league right now, they could attract a lot of players.  

As they should be. Monahan used the blood of 9/11 victims to browbeat them into staying, and then turned around and sold them right down the river as soon as it was most economically convenient for him. He is as big of a POS as anyone in this equation (minus the guys who execute and/or hack to bits dissidents and gay people and fund terrorist attacks, etc., of course).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Tiger.... only person that comes to mind that could bring the viewership and fanbase. Tiger and Jack backed league... might be only viable option. and no I have not put much thought into this response other than those 2 are the face of golf and Tiger is still the biggest draw today (TV).. 

• Upvote 1