Jets pass rusher says he took big pay cut

Jori Epstein - Senior NFL reporter
Tue, June 6, 2023

Carl Lawson can list the reasons.

Emotionally, the defensive end agreed to a pay cut because he loves the New York Jets and their defensive line culture, Lawson said Tuesday after an OTA practice.Financially, Lawson wasn’t disturbed by the implications of trading a non-guaranteed $15 million salary for $8 million guaranteed with up to $3 million in incentives, per multiple reports. An overall pay cut? Unquestionably. A life-changing financial decision?

“I have a lot of money and I don’t really buy much,” Lawson explained. “I like money, but it’s not a big part of my life, my family’s taken care of. So, easy decision.”And then there was the spiritual compulsion. Lawson felt staying with the Jets was a sign from a higher power.Because his pay cut, which formally occurred in May but was on his radar as early as February, directly correlated with the Jets creating salary cap space to acquire four-time MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his contract set to swallow $108.8 million across the next two seasons.

Rodgers wasn’t just a quarterback whom Lawson has watched and occasionally competed against in the six seasons since the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Lawson in the fourth round.Lawson more acutely identified Rodgers as a reminder of his career roller coaster.

“If the quarterback was Rodgers, I almost felt like, ‘God is talking to me,’” Lawson said. “Because my career started chasing the quarterback. I got four sacks against him. And my career damn near ended in the pursuit of this quarterback.”Lawson pointed skyward.

“So kind of a no-brainer from upstairs to be like, ‘Hey — you need to be here.’”

Run-in with Rodgers eerily memorable

The Bengals traveled to Green Bay on Sept. 24, 2017, for the third game of Lawson’s pro career and the first in which he played a more prominent role, his 77% of defensive snaps up from a previous high of 33%.Lawson stifled Rodgers with two solo sacks, another combined sack and still a fourth initial sack on an ultimately penalized play (12 men on the field is one more than allowed, folks) that brought his official game count to 2.5 sacks. His disruption helped the Bengals never trail … until Rodgers rallied the Packers to set up a game-winning field goal as time expired. Lawson says Rodgers looked at him after one of the sacks, motioning his hands toward the ground and saying, “58, chill.”

“I’m a rookie [thinking], ‘We’re blowing y’all out,’” Lawson said. “He came back [from down] in the fourth quarter and I’m like, ‘All right. I see why he’s the guy.’”

That was Lawson’s high against Rodgers, the 2.5 sacks that set him on track for an 8.5-sack rookie year that remains his career best. His production wavered in the years to come, a left ACL tear in 2018 frustratingly reminiscent of the right ACL he had torn in 2014 in college.By the time the Jets signed Lawson to a three-year deal worth $45 million entering the 2020 season, he had rebounded to register 10.5 sacks in two seasons, also notching 54 quarterback hits across those years.

Healthy and in a new system, Lawson was optimistic.Training camp reflected the potential.Then, in a joint training camp practice against the Packers — there’s that Rodgers moment again — Lawson rushed the passer in a red-zone drill.

He fell and stayed down. His Achilles had ruptured.

Lawson confident he’ll bring Jets double-digit sacks

Again, Lawson rehabbed and again, he returned in 2022 to post a 7-sack season in which he played in all 17 games. He found a home in a Jets defensive line room that he felt fostered a special culture of motivation and positivity “in a world that’s really, really negative,” not to mention his love of the fresh fruit and bison the cafeteria is apparently serving.So Lawson accepted his pay cut this spring, hired a professional to stretch his dense muscle mass three times a week in hopes of powering flexibility to injury prevention, and called upon advice from the late Hall of Famer Kevin Greene to chase greatness via “superior habits.”

His goals aren’t modest either.Lawson confirmed he’s raring for the double-digit sack season he hasn’t yet produced.

“That’s a goal,” he said, “and that’s going to happen.”

He won’t listen to the message that he said Rodgers brings back up each time they see each other: “Chill. Chill.”A productive individual and team season won’t just validate his decision to stay with the Jets. It might also set him up to recoup the money he’s no longer going to receive in 2023.“I plan on doing the stuff I plan to do and get that money back,” he said. “I plan on playing [until] at least 35.”He’s weeks away from 28 and expects the windfall to continue.

“So if I can’t make back at least a couple million dollars of what they’re paying defensive ends,” Lawson said, “I must suck really, really bad and need to go back in the gym.”

>>  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jets-pass-rusher-says-he-took-big-pay-cut-in-part-because-of-unique-connection-with-aaron-rodgers-214357831.html

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

A Positive Attitude is so important & refeshing.  I’m glad the Jets decided to keep him.  I really thought he would be a cap casualty.

Might be one of the best decisions they ended up making this off-season .. year 2 after the Achilles, great attitude, great shape, confident.

I read that he still had a great get-off last year so he didn’t lose his explosion.  It seemed like he relied too heavily on the bull rush so maybe it was partly regaining confidence that he can bend around the edge and do other things in his toolkit.  

• Upvote 3

It was take a payout or be cut. This was a business decision. If he were cut he’d be making the same or less on a 1 year prove it deal elsewhere. His stock is low. He’s playing for his next contract this year. He could have done that elsewhere, on a new team where he’d have to learn a new system on a defense that probably won’t be as good, or he can do it here. Might as well do it here, on a potential top 5 defense.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, extmenace said:

It was take a payout or be cut. This was a business decision. If he were cut he’d be making the same or less on a 1 year prove it deal elsewhere. His stock is low. He’s playing for his next contract this year. He could have done that elsewhere, on a new team where he’d have to learn a new system on a defense that probably won’t be as good, or he can do it here. Might as well do it here, on a potential top 5 defense.

Exactly what I was thinking!  He made the smart decision to stay on the Jets, and if he can have an explosive season, then his next contract will be more about the money, and less about his love of the Jets.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Really impressed by this

He looks ready to destroy people.  This jets pass rush could be scary. 

Agreed  ^^  😎    our DL is gonna be very productive this season              the depth looks good      i think we have enough to rotate guys & help keep them  " fresh "      😉

Love this. Both parties are happy and it was a great compromise. Most importantly he has a great attitude and he wants something bigger. Unfortunately that isn't the goal every player has. His family is set, he wants double digit sacks and to lead the Jets to a Super Bowl victory.

This team is hungry. Going to be such a fun season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Love this. Both parties are happy and it was a great compromise. Most importantly he has a great attitude and he wants something bigger. Unfortunately that isn't the goal every player has. His family is set, he wants double digit sacks and to lead the Jets to a Super Bowl victory.

This team is hungry. Going to be such a fun season.

Yep, he's the anti-CJMosley for sure.

• Upvote 1

I think this is the goal of Joe Douglas. High character players who want to be here - in the end it’s up to the player and his agent. This is what the Jets are willing to pay (good / fair $$ that won’t hurt the big picture ) - if not we move on

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

It’s $8 Million guaranteed vs $15 Million unguaranteed. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

My thoughts exactly.  I'm not sure how difficult the incentives were to get the full $15m, but $8m guaranteed for a guy with a recent Achilles tear is nothing to sneeze at.  He can get hurt tomorrow, and this "pay cut" may actually be a raise.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don’t see it

Eh, he had 7 last year. He’s within striking distance. 

plus, if he just gives us another 7-8 and JJ or McDonald gets up to 7-8, we are in good shape, assuming QW has another double digit sack year. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, he had 7 last year. He’s within striking distance. 

plus, if he just gives us another 7-8 and JJ or McDonald gets up to 7-8, we are in good shape, assuming QW has another double digit sack year. 

Sticking with my analysis that he will never have double digit sacks in a season. I said it when we first signed him and offered the many reasons why. The main reason is that if he couldn’t get 10+ opposite all-world Geno Atkins taking on doubles and triples, he ain’t that guy. He also lacks lateral agility big time which is why he pressures but closes at a very low % — and this was before the Achilles.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Sticking with my analysis that he will never have double digit sacks in a season. I said it when we first signed him and offered the many reasons why. The main reason is that if he couldn’t get 10+ opposite all-world Geno Atkins taking on doubles and triples, he ain’t that guy. He also lacks lateral agility big time which is why he pressures but closes at a very low % — and this was before the Achilles.

Stick with it!

Incidentally, his two highest single season sack totals in his career so far were 7 last year and 8.5 in 2017 (btw, that was opposite Geno Atkins, who had 9 that year . . . )

I’d guess his max potential is somewhere in the 8-10 range, but I’d say he’s probably unlikely to actually get 10, especially in a crowded DL room that will limit his snaps.  

8 hours ago, extmenace said:

Aaron Rodgers made Jets return 'no-brainer' for Carl LawsonHas nothing to do with that. His hair stylist is here in NY.

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Stick with it!

Incidentally, his two highest single season sack totals in his career so far were 7 last year and 8.5 in 2017 (btw, that was opposite Geno Atkins, who had 9 that year . . . )

I’d guess his max potential is somewhere in the 8-10 range, but I’d say he’s probably unlikely to actually get 10, especially in a crowded DL room that will limit his snaps.  

Yeah I had 10 as his absolute ceiling back when he signed here. This doesn’t mean I think he’s worthless! 

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I had 10 as his absolute ceiling back when he signed here. This doesn’t mean I think he’s worthless! 

Yea exactly. You just need him and JJ to be solid 7-9 sack guys and you are fine. And then if you can get anything significant out of McDonald, you can really have a really good overall pass rush.

The DL is a committee. You only need one dominant player and we already have that.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea exactly. You just need him and JJ to be solid 7-9 sack guys and you are fine. And then if you can get anything significant out of McDonald, you can really have a really good overall pass rush.

The DL is a committee. You only need one dominant player and we already have that.  

My conservative estimate is we're going to sack the opposing QB 250 times this season.  Per game.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Year 2 post surgery. This year's Lawson should be significantly better than last year's Lawson.

But he was the same guy last year as he was with the bengals. He’s a straight-line bully, not a shifty guy (which would be much more affected by an Achilles). The QB can quite easily step up in the pocket or roll out and he doesn’t have the shifty cuts to counter.