Greatest NBA Centers of All Time?

I understand that we have to put those first three guys where they are because old people say we have to, but if we’re being honest, prime Shaq ragdolls almost anyone that’s ever stepped on a court whenever he wants. It’s a shame his best years hit after Robinson and Hakeem were on the downslope because that would have been fun to watch. 

Jokic is dominating his era as well as any of the other guys though, that’s for sure. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

1. Russell 

2. Wilt

3. KAJ

4. Shaq

5. Olajuwon 

6. Robinson

7. Ewing 

8. M. Malone 

9. Mourning 

10. Jokic?

No issues with the top 5.  But too low on Moses.  Arguably the most relentless rebounder the game has ever seen (though Rodman can make a case there) and he was the top dog when he became Dr. J’s teammate.  

Jokic is already above Ewing and Mourning.  And probably Robinson too.  So to me Jokic is already no lower than the 7th best Center of all-time.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No issues with the top 5.  But too low on Moses.  Arguably the most relentless rebounder the game has ever seen (though Rodman can make a case there) and he was the top dog when he became Dr. J’s teammate.  

Jokic is already above Ewing and Mourning.  And probably Robinson too.  So to me Jokic is already no lower than the 7th best Center of all-time.  

The only rebounding commercial I can remember.  You can't shoot the ball if you don't have the ball.  

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I understand that we have to put those first three guys where they are because old people say we have to, but if we’re being honest, prime Shaq ragdolls almost anyone that’s ever stepped on a court whenever he wants. It’s a shame his best years hit after Robinson and Hakeem were on the downslope because that would have been fun to watch. 

Jokic is dominating his era as well as any of the other guys though, that’s for sure. 

Don't make me post my Wes Unseld quote about Shaq again!

In their place I will leave these quotes from Dr. J.

“So, he was the only guy Wilt was scared of in the league. I always heard that before I got over to the league.”

“I knew Unseld would hurt you without even blinking. He would take courage from the other players on your team because they wouldn’t even come to your rescue.”

“Might not even come pick you up because they gonna get hit by him too..”

Unseld certainly deserves some consideration.  Artis Gilmore too.  Towards the bottom of the list, but I would probably take them over Mourning. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Same thoughts on the top 3. It almost makes it less fun bc it’s like a non debatable with zero context minus numbers based on most of us were either kids or not born yet. 

like Babe Ruth. 

But 

1. How do you or an individual want to rank it: apples to apples regardless of era or based on the “what if’s” player X were in that era with same nutrition/training/diet etc. 

Honestly even vs different eras I don’t see Shaq dominating Wilt tbh. 
but that’s off little real life context of Wilt besides docs and some old film.

…if that makes sense 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Was gonna say that. And Malone doesn't get enough love generally. But, and I'm not too crazy about today's era of 3 pt. shooter ball, considering today's era Joker is as deadly as any of them. Especially considering who some of those guys played with.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Same thoughts on the top 3. It almost makes it less fun bc it’s like a non debatable with zero context minus numbers based on most of us were either kids or not born yet. 

like Babe Ruth. 

But 

1. How do you or an individual want to rank it: apples to apples regardless of era or based on the “what if’s” player X were in that era with same nutrition/training/diet etc. 

Honestly even vs different eras I don’t see Shaq dominating Wilt tbh. 
but that’s off little real life context of Wilt besides docs and some old film.

…if that makes sense 

I think you can only judge players across eras based on how they performed against their contemporaries. 

Today's players will always beat out the older players in any sport because of the crazy athleticism they have at their disposal.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they're the greater player.  As you say, who knows how much better the older guys would be with the environmental advantages (kinesiology, nutrition, etc) that today's players have over the prior generations.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Was gonna say that. And Malone doesn't get enough love generally. But, and I'm not too crazy about today's era of 3 pt. shooter ball, considering today's era Joker is as deadly as any of them. Especially considering who some of those guys played with.

For sure.  I know we're talking about Centers here, but imagine how many more points someone like, say, Pete Maravich would have scored if the 3-point line existed in his prime.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  I know we're talking about Centers here, but imagine how many more points someone like, say, Pete Maravich would have scored if the 3-point line existed in his prime.  

Exactly. I think of that a lot. Larry Bird would probably have been even more effective today in the wide open spaces. Sorta like Joker. McHale kicking it back out too. There's plenty that are just not popping in my head, guys like Maravich that could gun from far out

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think you can only judge players across eras based on how they performed against their contemporaries. 

Today's players will always beat out the older players in any sport because of the crazy athleticism they have at their disposal.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they're the greater player.  As you say, who knows how much better the older guys would be with the environmental advantages (kinesiology, nutrition, etc) that today's players have over the prior generations.

Agreed, which is why I think Rutger’s direct point on Shaq is a little moot. I think it could be said Wilt was as dominant per era as Shaq to his and that both should be the only anomalies separate to everyone else at Center, in NBA history, so far, per scale of physical dominance 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Agreed, which is why I think Rutger’s direct point on Shaq is a little moot. I think it could be said Wilt was as dominant per era as Shaq to his and that both should be the only anomalies separate to everyone else at Center, in NBA history, so far, per scale of physical dominance 

Most dominant doesn’t mean greatest imo either. It’s an important variable but should only be weighted as a solid piece to the pie….ie I would support the idea that LeBron was a more physically dominant player in his generation than MJ Kobe, Magic, Bird however those 4 were greater all around players and higher on the all time list….imo. 

when I think of physical dominance I think of Wilt (word of mouth) Shaq and LeBron tbh. Hence I would always put LeBron around 10th on an all time list but not #1

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Most dominant doesn’t mean greatest imo either. It’s an important variable but should only be weighted as a solid piece to the pie….ie I would support the idea that LeBron was a more physically dominant player in his generation than MJ Kobe, Magic, Bird however those 4 were greater all around players and higher on the all time list….imo. 

when I think of physical dominance I think of Wilt (word of mouth) Shaq and LeBron tbh. Hence I would always put LeBron around 10th on an all time list but not #1

I have met almost every player on these lists and I can say with certainty that Oscar Robertson is highly offended. 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The only rebounding commercial I can remember.  You can't shoot the ball if you don't have the ball.  

Don't make me post my Wes Unseld quote about Shaq again!

In their place I will leave these quotes from Dr. J.

Unseld certainly deserves some consideration.  Artis Gilmore too.  Towards the bottom of the list, but I would probably take them over Mourning. 

My dad actually says the same thing about Unseld. My dad is also 73 and probably shouldn't be driving at night at this point.

30 minutes ago, HessStation said:

In terms of physical dominance it's probably Kareem 1 and Shaq 1. Kareem was untouchable for his peak years. The amount of nerds that have broken down how absurd his 76/77 season was are probably too many to count at this point.

The reason I always say Shaq is 1 is because everyone knew what he was going to do 100% of the time on the court and nobody could do anything about it. That Finals against the Nets is something I'll never forget. He looked like Billy Madison playing dodgeball with the 1st graders.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

In terms of physical dominance it's probably Kareem 1 and Shaq 1. Kareem was untouchable for his peak years. The amount of nerds that have broken down how absurd his 76/77 season was are probably too many to count at this point.

The reason I always say Shaq is 1 is because everyone knew what he was going to do 100% of the time on the court and nobody could do anything about it. That Finals against the Nets is something I'll never forget. He looked like Billy Madison playing dodgeball with the 1st graders.

I don’t feel like I can put Kareem in this “physically dominant” category, given his unbeatable go-to is a finesse shot and he weighed bout a buck 40. I think of more like Karl and Moses Malone, maybe even Barkley although the lack of height 

Just now, HessStation said:

I don’t feel like I can put Kareem in this “physically dominant” category, given his unbeatable go-to is a finesse shot and he weighed bout a buck 40. 

Finesse?  As the hook shootingest ****er in Bensonhurst I take offense at that.  Funny, but that probably gives my identity away more than anything else I have ever said on this site.  Including my name. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I don’t feel like I can put Kareem in this “physically dominant” category, given his unbeatable go-to is a finesse shot and he weighed bout a buck 40. I think of more like Karl and Moses Malone, maybe even Barkley although the lack of height 

This is madness. Kareem was a monster defensively. 

I have lost interest in the NBA, so I can't really comment on guys like Jokic, but I think what makes this question so difficult is that the game and the role of the big man has changed so much since the days of Russell, Wilt and Kareem.  In the 60s and 70s, the game ran through the pivot; you needed a really good Center to win.  In addition to these three, Walton, Cowens, Unseld, Reed, Thurmond, Malone, Parrish.  Maybe you didn't need an all time great, but at the very least you needed a really good Center. 

I think that is why us old guys look at 60s/70s era Centers differently.  Guys today are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic.  But back then, you had to have a good big man to win. 

There are other ways to win today, at least I think there are, but I don't know for sure since I don't watch the games.  Anyway, that is my completely ignorant take on a game I have not watched in 25 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I have lost interest in the NBA, so I can't really comment on guys like Jokic, but I think what makes this question so difficult is that the game and the role of the big man has changed so much since the days of Russell, Wilt and Kareem.  In the 60s and 70s, the game ran through the pivot; you needed a really good Center to win.  In addition to these three, Walton, Cowens, Unseld, Reed, Thurmond, Malone, Parrish.  Maybe you didn't need an all time great, but at the very least you needed a really good Center. 

I think that is why us old guys look at 60s/70s era Centers differently.  Guys today are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic.  But back then, you had to have a good big man to win. 

There are other ways to win today, at least I think there are, but I don't know for sure since I don't watch the games.  Anyway, that is my completely ignorant take on a game I have not watched in 25 years.

It's bizarre. Mitch Robinson is a solid center in the 80s or 90s and he's such a stiff for this era. If this were '92 Zach Edey is a top 2 pick in the draft but barely projects as a second rounder in today's game. Any other era Adebayo is an average forward that gets bullied around every other night. Such a different game. Jokic is truly a unicorn for it. Centers have to find this weird balance of dominating in the post while also not hogging the paint but having an offense like KD. Not a lot of guys in history that have truly revolutionized a position but he's damn sure one of them. It's as good of a 2-year run as anyone that's ever played.

A center averaging (almost) a triple double on the year while carrying his team to a title...just crazy.

• Upvote 1

Tim Duncan should be in the top 5.  You also can't discount the 3 point shot which has allowed Jokic to play a completely different game than guys like Wilt and Jabbar.  When defenses collapsed on them a pass was giving up a 2 point shot for a 2 point shot.  The 3 point shot has been around for a long time but has been exploited way more in the last 10 years and more so since the Warriors great run. 

Duncan was better than almost every center on that list.  He played out of position to accommodate Robinson when Robinson wasn't remotely in his class.  It was just to put the best lineup on the floor.  Not a lot different than when Reed played forward when Bellamy was on the Knicks.  Reed was a tremendous center who was good enough to play out of position.  So was Duncan. 

• Upvote 1