..we don’t want to be on Hard Knocks

Robert Saleh: We don’t want to be on Hard Knocks

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2023, 11:54 AM EDT

The Jets are one of four teams that can be forced to be the subject of this year’s installment of Hard Knocks and the acquisition of quarterback Aaron Rodgers would seem to make them an appealing prospect for the NFL and HBO.Jets head coach Robert Saleh is hopeful that the powers that be don’t view things that way. At a press conference on Friday, Saleh said that the Jets are not interested in making the franchise’s second appearance on the reality show.

“I know there are several teams that would love for Hard Knocks to be in their building. We’re just not one of them,” Saleh said.

The Saints, Bears, and Commanders are the other teams that can be compelled to take part in Hard Knocks this season. Bears chairman George McCaskey and Saints head coach Dennis Allen share Saleh’s disdain for welcoming cameras into training camp, but it remains to be seen what decision will be made about this year’s team in the spotlight.

>>  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/09/robert-saleh-we-dont-want-to-be-on-hard-knocks/

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

And he’s still the best coach 

The QB maketh or breaketh everyone. Saleh just needs to focus on the D and leave the O to Rodgers and I predict he’ll be in the coach of the year running.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t want us on Hard Knocks… but 1JD has been disappointing so far. Hoping the shows are better when we report back in 6 weeks

I’d love to see a less filtered version of what Hard Knocks would bring - but you could never choose to bring it.  

I think the Jets org is full of good dudes who would still show well with an unvarnished look.  It would be must watch TV for me.

• Upvote 2

Can't blame Saleh for that at all.  Who ever wants to be under additional scrutiny?  Team's marketing departments might like it, but I'd imagine that's about it.  It seems no team wants to do it this year, so the lack of volunteers won't help the Jets at all.

There's zero chance of it being given to Commanders this year, we all know that.  While in theory it's possible to pick the Bears and have it be the Justin Fields story, I wouldn't bet on it given the alternatives.

In the end, it very likely comes down to being between the new pairings of Carr/Saints or Rodgers/Jets.  The truth is, the latter is the bigger headline grabber right now and for as much as we say media hates on the Jets, they also absolutely love giving them the spotlight whenever the opportunity arises, so I'd say it's highly likely that ends up being the case.

• Upvote 3

We are the biggest media market and the NFL world would love to see enough to make us the butt of jokes all year.

Who else is gonna bring the ratings that we will? Cleveland? Derek Carr?

I loathe the idea so of course it's going to happen.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

It's conflicting. Great for us Jets fans to watch weekly but you also don't want your team distracted like that during TC in what is essentially a super bowl or bust season. 

But if the season does turn out to be special we’ll be rewatching the show for years.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, jtomm said:

Robert Saleh: We don’t want to be on Hard Knocks

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2023, 11:54 AM EDT

The Jets are one of four teams that can be forced to be the subject of this year’s installment of Hard Knocks and the acquisition of quarterback Aaron Rodgers would seem to make them an appealing prospect for the NFL and HBO.Jets head coach Robert Saleh is hopeful that the powers that be don’t view things that way. At a press conference on Friday, Saleh said that the Jets are not interested in making the franchise’s second appearance on the reality show.

“I know there are several teams that would love for Hard Knocks to be in their building. We’re just not one of them,” Saleh said.

The Saints, Bears, and Commanders are the other teams that can be compelled to take part in Hard Knocks this season. Bears chairman George McCaskey and Saints head coach Dennis Allen share Saleh’s disdain for welcoming cameras into training camp, but it remains to be seen what decision will be made about this year’s team in the spotlight.

>>  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/09/robert-saleh-we-dont-want-to-be-on-hard-knocks/

Thank God Saleh has some sense!

Teams that want to win a SB don't want DISTRACTIONS and the Jets already have more than enough without being on Hard Knocks!

Lets Go Jets!

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

I don’t see how it doesn’t happen

the NFL would almost have to apologize to the media and the fans if they announce that say the bears or the commanders are on the show. there really is only 1 right choice...but i am not sure how that works behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Teams that want to win a SB don't want DISTRACTIONS and the Jets already have more than enough without being on Hard Knocks!

Lets Go Jets!

Sorry Mr. Brown but this is as done as can be. What team has perked up the ears if NFL fans more than the 2023 NY Jets. It’s not even close and it’s not their call.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

We are the biggest media market and the NFL world would love to see enough to make us the butt of jokes all year.

Who else is gonna bring the ratings that we will? Cleveland? Derek Carr?

I loathe the idea so of course it's going to happen.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Cleveland? 🤣 Half the show would be focused on Deshaun getting massages. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Can't blame Saleh for that at all.  Who ever wants to be under additional scrutiny?  Team's marketing departments might like it, but I'd imagine that's about it.  It seems no team wants to do it this year, so the lack of volunteers won't help the Jets at all.

There's zero chance of it being given to Commanders this year, we all know that.  While in theory it's possible to pick the Bears and have it be the Justin Fields story, I wouldn't bet on it given the alternatives.

In the end, it very likely comes down to being between the new pairings of Carr/Saints or Rodgers/Jets.  The truth is, the latter is the bigger headline grabber right now and for as much as we say media hates on the Jets, they also absolutely love giving them the spotlight whenever the opportunity arises, so I'd say it's highly likely that ends up being the case.

We went from 1 prime time game (against Jax) last year to I think 5 this year.  I can't see how we're not the team that HBO wants for Hard Knocks. 

• Upvote 2

Of the four teams who can be forced, the Jets, Bears and Saints say they don't want to.

That leaves the Commanders, and I can't see the league forcing them to do the show in the middle of an ownership change along with a scandal ridden current owner.

So, if the league doesn't force a team to do it, what team is going to volunteer?

Dallas, but weren't they just recently on it?

Miami, maybe, but I can't see Ross doing the league any favors.

Buffalo - I can possibly see the Bills wanting to do it, everything about that franchise screams wanting to be in the spotlight

Atlanta maybe I could see them wanting to volunteer

Seattle maybe....

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Lets Go Jets!

Hard Knocks could pull away the veil of the Saleh “mystique”! Instead of the “All Gas, No Brakes” rah-rah, JD boot licking, stair running savant… he could be exposed as an indecisive, poorly prepared Head Coach who defers to his coordinators during games.

I hope I am wrong and he shines this season, but so far I have been unimpressed.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh might not want it but I’m sure Woodrow and little bro do.

Saleh doesn’t want to be exposed on national TV for his hollow rhetoric, cheap slogans, and gimmicky middle school art project stuff like the “story wall”.

Yes, the story wall is dumb.

Consider his audience though.  These kids live on tik-tok and anime.

Makes the story wall look meaningful and inspirational in comparison. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh might not want it but I’m sure Woodrow and little bro do.

Saleh doesn’t want to be exposed on national TV for his hollow rhetoric, cheap slogans, and gimmicky middle school art project stuff like the “story wall”.

Woody didn’t sound like he was all that interested 

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The media attention form Aaron Rodgers is more than enough . Based on the minor injury Rodgers had at minicamp, every Jets practice is going to be covered like the Gulf War anyway. 

Super Bowl LVIII - February 11, 2024, at Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nevada  

jets vs eagles   😎             jets by  6  ;)

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Last time we were on HK we went 11-5.  I’m not scared.  

But I can see why Saleh is.  He’ll get exposed as little more than a motivational speaker.

With all the analytics, and AI, and no salary cap for staff, there is no excuse for every team not to be masters of clock management and situational football. just hire like 5 computer science grad students to crank data all game.

• Upvote 2