Humbled Zach Wilson Meets With Press, Takes Accountability for Past Failures, Positive on Future

Zach Wilson

In the end, all that’s going to matter about Zach Wilson and the New York Jets is how he performs once he’s back on the field.  If he plays well, all past transgressions will be forgiven.  If he’s still the same guy who looks like a fish out of water, fans will want the team to pull the plug on his time in Green and White.

But one thing that was noticeable when Wilson met with the media yesterday is that he has either taken some serious strides toward maturation, or somebody has done a great job in coaching him up to meet the press.

As one would expect, Wilson was asked about an offseason that saw the Jets go out and acquire his replacement in Aaron Rodgers, his new role as the team’s backup quarterback and his past failures.

Wilson handled all of the questions like a pro.  He cited his admiration for Rodgers as a young quarterback while sharing the fact that the two had formed a friendship well before the trade became a possibility.  Wilson added that of course he “wished things had gone differently for the past two years and I’d played amazing” but said he appreciates Rodgers’ presence and his “willingness to help me”.

Another moment in which Wilson showed some growth and maturation came when he was asked about what the team told him in regards to their pursuit of Rodgers.  Taking responsibility for his past failures, Wilson replied “They were extremely open about everything and I can’t be bitter about the situation because I didn’t perform”, finishing by saying he “appreciated the way they handled everything”.

The backup quarterback also acknowledged the entire process being a humbling experience when asked by Brian Costello of the New York Post “absolutely, this game will do that to you”.

Wilson’s job is to figure things out on the field, but in his brief appearance yesterday, it certainly sounds like he’s starting to “get it” off the field.

The post Humbled Zach Wilson Meets With Press, Takes Accountability for Past Failures, Positive on Future appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

<Deposits $30 million into checking account>

”Yeah, I just have to take it day by day. I’m super bummed, but what can you do.”

<Goes waterskiing>

Said for months he has no choice but to play good soldier because of the anti-team rep he’s built up. Just wait for his proxy warriors to take his case to the press once the season approaches.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Also, ZW “having fun again” confirmed.

What a relief.  I was really worried there for awhile that the kid wasn’t enjoying himself enough playing a kids’ game for tens of millions.

I just want to thunderstomp anyone who uses “kid” to refer to a pro athlete.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I always thought he was a good kid. 

We are jets fans. Our most beloved player was a womanizing degenerate alcoholic.

What’s the difference between an ahole and a lovable rogue? WINNING.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

**  Taking responsibility for his past failures, Wilson replied “They were extremely open about everything and I can’t be bitter about the situation because I didn’t perform”, finishing by saying he “appreciated the way they handled everything”.

The backup quarterback also acknowledged the entire process being a humbling experience when asked by Brian Costello of the New York Post “absolutely, this game will do that to you”.

Wilson’s job is to figure things out on the field, but in his brief appearance yesterday, it certainly sounds like he’s starting to “get it” off the field.  **

^^   tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Whats wrong with being a womanizing degenerate when you're single and young?  

Joe had MOJO on and off the field.

Exactamundo. ”But he’s a good kid” doesn’t make me like a sucky football player.

I just want to thunderstomp anyone who uses “kid” to refer to a pro athlete.

Well he is a kid from a life/athletic experience point of view. My daughter is the same age and while on a good path, believe me she is no we’re near a seasoned adult emotionally yet. It’s all about your perspective . I get what you’re saying, but to me 23 is not close to a fully mature human. Once he gets more miles behind him, he will be viewed differently in the adult world.
  • Upvote 1

I watched the entire interview and think Zach was genuine. He was good with the media. They didn't ask him how he feels about not playing. I mean if Rodgers stays healthy it's all him and zilch for Zach unless he gets in a game or two here and there. Zach was ripped by everyone last season after he played terribly against the Patriots and acted like not his fault. He was ripped for being confident. I didn't get the anger about that I get being pissed because of his performance but not what he said after the game. Look there's no one more confident or ego driven than Rodgers. Of course he can usually back it up on the field. But if he doesn't expect him to be pretty brash. I have no problem with ego trips by players. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Said for months he has no choice but to play good soldier because of the anti-team rep he’s built up. Just wait for his proxy warriors to take his case to the press once the season approaches.

LOL, I don't think there is a case even in his mind. He called Rodgers a good friend and seems excited about the possibility of sitting and learning. Kind of the end of the story right there. His time will come again, unless he completely botches things in practice.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I watched the entire interview and think Zach was genuine. He was good with the media. They didn't ask him how he feels about not playing. I mean if Rodgers stays healthy it's all him and zilch for Zach unless he gets in a game or two here and there. Zach was ripped by everyone last season after he played terribly against the Patriots and acted like not his fault. He was ripped for being confident. I didn't get the anger about that I get being pissed because of his performance but not what he said after the game. Look there's no one more confident or ego driven than Rodgers. Of course he can usually back it up on the field. But if he doesn't expect him to be pretty brash. I have no problem with ego trips by players. 

I thought he did a good job. For the most part he has been okay with the media, the problem is he misses were epic with them. He lost the team not based on terrible play, but not owning his terrible play.

That speaks to the character of this team a lot, guys like CJ Mosley. That locker room stayed together when they could have bailed. Zach sold them out first but not being accountable for his own play on the field, he will forever have to own that.

• Upvote 2

I guess in a way you can say Zach took the high road. After being benched then deactivated last season he didn't create an org prob. I guess if he had the team would have gotten rid of him instead of at least for now saying he has a role and future on the team. Zach could have made demands asked for his release not reported to OTAs etc and he hasn't. I'm not sure I believe that he's loving being Rodgers backup. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Zach could have made demands asked for his release not reported to OTAs etc and he hasn't.

The entire league would be mocking Zach if he took that approach. Sure, he could’ve technically skipped OTAs but outside of Quinnen (contract situation), Corey Davis (wife had a baby), and Mims (who knows), everybody up and down the roster attended OTAs so that would’ve been an awful look. The reality is he has next to no trade value now and therefore unless he wanted to step away from the game and in turn give back all his remaining guaranteed money, his only choice was to accept any role.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

Well he is a kid from a life/athletic experience point of view. My daughter is the same age and while on a good path, believe me she is no we’re near a seasoned adult emotionally yet. It’s all about your perspective . I get what you’re saying, but to me 23 is not close to a fully mature human. Once he gets more miles behind him, he will be viewed differently in the adult world.

People use it as an emotional cue to engender sympathy. No one ever says “that Henry Ruggs is a terrible kid.” I just find it weak and unpersuasive (as all appeals to emotion inherently are).

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

My reaction to reading Zach has been humbled

Frustrated Episode 14 GIF by America's Got Talent

When people want to believe, it doesn’t take much for them to do so.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

LOL, I don't think there is a case even in his mind. He called Rodgers a good friend and seems excited about the possibility of sitting and learning. Kind of the end of the story right there. His time will come again, unless he completely botches things in practice.

“It’s obvious Zach isn’t part of their plans, regardless of what the team says I don’t believe it, it’s time to give the kid his freedom by trading him for whatever they can get and let him have a fair shake somewhere else.”

2 hours ago, Alex G said:

The entire league would be mocking Zach if he took that approach. Sure, he could’ve technically skipped OTAs but outside of Quinnen (contract situation), Corey Davis (wife had a baby), and Mims (who knows), everybody up and down the roster attended OTAs so that would’ve been an awful look. The reality is he has next to no trade value now and therefore unless he wanted to step away from the game and in turn give back all his remaining guaranteed money, his only choice was to accept any role.

Zach’s interests will be represented by his proxies. You are right he needs to be good soldier now.