Which Jet starters are below average for their position?

We seem to finally have a strong core, not just top 5, but a longer list of good (average) to excellent starters or key members of the rotation.  

1. Who are our subpar starters?

2. Will they turn it around?

Here's my list ... who's on your list?

LG Tomlinson.  Yes, because he went from an excellent run blocker to a really bad one in 1 year ... at the same time becoming one of the best pass blocking guards over the last 10 weeks of the 2022 season.  My gut is that the run scheme and his partner at Center had something to do with it

C McGovern.  Not at Center.  His free agency tour tells you what other teams think of him.  Allowed the most sacks at the Center position (15) in the past 3 years and doesn't do a good job reading defenses and calling out blocking assignments

WR Davis.  50/50.  Injury prone, not great at getting open vs man or catching the ball.  Does have value in zone, in the slot, on deeper routes and as a blocker.  Could benefit from the Rodgers halo effect

LB Mosley.  No.  Love his leadership but he's clearly lost a step and doesn't make enough big plays.  Took a big step backwards vs run last year as his average tackle moved back 1-2 yards from where it was in 2022.  Actually performed pretty well in zone coverage but is a big liability in man.  IMO, should no longer be a 3 down player

I've excluded Tony Adams & Jamien Sherwood because of insufficient data.  The Jets seem to be betting on both of them to step into a starting spot.

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We seem to finally have a strong core, not just top 5, but a longer list of good (average) to excellent starters or key members of the rotation.  

LG Tomlinson.  Yes, because he went from an excellent run blocker to a really bad one in 1 year ... at the same time becoming one of the best pass blocking guards over the last 10 weeks of the 2022 season.  My gut is that the run scheme and his partner at Center had something to do with it

C McGovern.  Not at Center.  His free agency tour tells you what other teams think of him.  Allowed the most sacks at the Center position (15) in the past 3 years and doesn't do a good job reading defenses and calling out blocking assignments

WR Davis.  50/50.  Injury prone, not great at getting open vs man or catching the ball.  Does have value in zone, in the slot, on deeper routes and as a blocker.  Could benefit from the Rodgers halo effect

LB Mosley.  No.  Love his leadership but he's clearly lost a step and doesn't make enough big plays.  Took a big step backwards vs run last year as his average tackle moved back 1-2 yards from where it was in 2022.  Actually performed pretty well in zone coverage but is a big liability in man.  IMO, should no longer be a 3 down player

I've excluded Tony Adams & Jamien Sherwood because of insufficient data.  The Jets seem to be betting on both of them to step into a starting spot.

Agree on every player you chose here but would like to add with Mosley its really not so much about speed its more about his lack of taking on players head on . Rather than meet a ball carrier he slows down purposely to avoid head on contact and tries to drag dawn ball carriers from the side which usually leads to them carrying him for more yards this is terrible form as a MLB and allows the offense to dictate to us rather than us dictate to them in the run game watch how David Harris played the game and Mosley's weakness becomes very apparent and might be the main reason our run D struggled at times last year.

In the case of Corey Davis if it were up to me he would not be on this team. Maybe they value his blocking due too the run first mentality but if he starts flubbing balls into defenders hands Rodgers is not going to stand for that crap like our young QB's did. Also will we be running the ball as much with Rodgers at the helm ? Maybe yes if we start to establish some leads early. He is a good blocker and its probably the best part of his game so maybe that's why they keep him.

I think Tomlinson will turn it around because if he does not JD is building some depth and he will lose his job if he does not perform same with McGovern. But the quick release and thinking of Rodgers can change all of this 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 2

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Safeties Jordan Whitehead and Chuck Clark are both below average

might be the worst safety room in the league tbh 

Yeah any list like this has to start at Safety for the Jets. Totally agree.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I was focused on starters or key parts of the rotation but this is at the top of my list of concerns.  If Rodgers gets injured, our dreams this season are ****ed.

I would bet right now Tim Boyle is better than Zach and I’ve never seen him play a game, collegiate or otherwise.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Maxman said:

Yeah any list like this has to start at Safety for the Jets. Totally agree.

I have Tony Adams starting, just can't see how they start 2 guys without range when they want to play a lot of deep zone.  

But if Clark starts at the other safety, good call on your end.  I actually think Whitehead will be much improved.  

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I would bet right now Tim Boyle is better than Zach and I’ve never seen him play a game, collegiate or otherwise.

I might bet you are better than Zach. 

I see your positives as quick response time, good leadership skills, & accurate reads.

As my major negatives, I have concerns about your overall athleticism, arm strength & durability.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Below average is harsh for Mosley.  Just because he's not flashy, doesnt mean he's not a good player.  It's weird how fans hate on Mosley but yet the league, coaching staff, players, etc. all love Mosley and think he's great. 

Does WR3 count as a "starter?  I guess.  I think Davis could have a big year but hard to argue him being on this list. 

Should be interesting to see how Tipperman develops and if he can push McGovern out.

Yeah man, I admit I might be missing something on Mosley.  Outside of fandom, my football credentials are that I was a pretty good flag football player back in the late 1990s against so so competition :).  

My eyes and human psychology tell me that some are still evaluating him based on reputation.

I would agree he's a pretty good player on 1st and 2nd down.  I guess I see him as a major weakness on passing downs, especially vulnerable if teams attack him in man.  Plus he no longer aggressively fills the gaps and causes chaos as he once did.  

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The cj Mosley hate is kind of ridiculous. I never liked the contract Macc gave him. But he is not a subpar player. He was top 10 in the league in tackles and was a pro bowl player last year. He is our best linebacker and a leader on this defense.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1