OT: Apocalyptic orange smog to hit NY again

Bronx

***NO POLITICS***

Orange smog could blanket New York again Thursday as Canadian wildfires rage on

https://nypost.com/2023/06/15/smoke-could-blanket-east-coast-again-as-canadian-wildfires-rage-on?utm_source=nypost&utm_campaign=android_nyp

New York could be plagued with a second wave of thick orange smoke Thursday, as hundreds of out-of-control wildfires ravage parts of Canada. 

Last week’s “unhealthy” air quality may make a return, according to Fox 5 Evening Meteorologist Mike Thomas, who shared a graphic of the smoke forecast through Friday on Twitter.  

“Smoky skies returning once again. Still not expected to be as bad as last week, but could get close to code orange later on Thursday into Friday,” Thomas wrote. 

Screenshot_20230615_094646_NYPost.thumb.jpg.ac0903e1624d66c2f331bb2dafe1a32c.jpg

“Storms on Friday could be a little extra ‘charged’ as well, as the extra particles in the atmosphere often lead to more lightning!” 

Canada continues to have one of its worst wildfire seasons, with more than 400 fires pushing smoke south and into the US, creating major air quality concerns. 

Extreme wildfire activity, with over half of the fires considered out of control, will continue to push the thick smog into the northern portion of the US Thursday before the weather pattern takes a turn to head southeast. 

Screenshot_20230615_094814_NYPost.thumb.jpg.0701aeea9e9c42e582d5c843c578e852.jpg

Satellite images shared by Thomas show the smoke will likely enter through the Midwest Thursday morning before swooping down and heading toward the South and East Coast later Thursday through Friday. 

As the smoke leaves the Dakotas and Minnesota on Thursday, Fox forecasters say it may swing back and enter the Great Lakes and Northeast regions by Friday. 

New York City experienced its worst Air Quality Index rating on record last week as winds pushed heavy smoke from the wildfires into the region, blanketing the city in apocalyptic orange smog. 

Screenshot_20230615_094943_NYPost.thumb.jpg.2417c835d1b351d19857c1b6df39655a.jpg

The haze caused air quality in parts of the Big Apple to reach “very unhealthy” levels, according to the Environmental Protection Agency’s index. 

The air quality index reached 353 last Wednesday, far worse than New Delhi’s 190, and the normal index of 100 for New York.

The air was the worst since the 1980s, including after the 9/11 attacks, forecasters said.  

No politics, just an observation tracking the weather that just moved through that area on Ventusky  weather app.

The previous fire which created our unhealthy air was just put out by the rain that moved through yesterday and then just like that fire another big rash of fires suddenly breaks out in a lower section of Quebec at the same exact time frame as the last one being between 5-8 pm.  

Just an observation , make your own conclusion 

• Haha 1

From a pure weather standpoint what made last week so crazy was the high winds sending "a plume" directly southward

a plume meaning the smoke didn't get a chance to rise to higher altitudes and thin out

and the south west inversion or whatever is also a rare wind pattern. The jet stream should wash everything west to east and the smoke goes over Maine into the sea 

Watch the wind speed and dir - my guess is this week will be hazy and uncomfortable, but it probably (hopefully) won't be hazardous to healthy humans like last week and the more rains that happen, the more hotshot crews make their way up north, the more they can get it under control. 

if you want to learn about a thankless heroic job google hotshot fire crews 

also it's a good time to be Dyson 

https://www.theverge.com/23698352/dyson-zone-review-headphones-wearables-air-purifier

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wow. I’m at a loss for words. Imagine being so scared of breathing that you would drop 1k on this thing. Wearing this in public would be like announcing to the world that you are the weakest human on the planet 

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Wow. I’m at a loss for words. Imagine being so scared of breathing that you would drop 1k on this thing. Wearing this in public would be like announcing to the world that you are the weakest human on the planet 

Yeah, I'll wait till it actually makes you sound like Bane too. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

They aren’t scared of breathing, it’s breathing in tiny particles that damage your lungs. What does toughness have to do with it? I have long covid and bilateral PE’s. I protect myself as I see fit. 

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

From a pure weather standpoint what made last week so crazy was the high winds sending "a plume" directly southward

a plume meaning the smoke didn't get a chance to rise to higher altitudes and thin out

and the south west inversion or whatever is also a rare wind pattern. The jet stream should wash everything west to east and the smoke goes over Maine into the sea 

Watch the wind speed and dir - my guess is this week will be hazy and uncomfortable, but it probably (hopefully) won't be hazardous to healthy humans like last week and the more rains that happen, the more hotshot crews make their way up north, the more they can get it under control. 

if you want to learn about a thankless heroic job google hotshot fire crews 

also it's a good time to be Dyson 

https://www.theverge.com/23698352/dyson-zone-review-headphones-wearables-air-purifier

Great post as your prediction has come to be. Appears the latest fires in central lower Quebec are now out as it shows clear air coming down from the north except for one very small fire in the northeast of Quebec right above New Brunswick. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Great post as your prediction has come to be. Appears the latest fires in central lower Quebec are now out as it shows clear air coming down from the north except for one very small fire in the northeast of Quebec right above New Brunswick. 

let the record show not all my predictions are garbage :)

On 6/15/2023 at 12:31 PM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Imagine caring what people think of your toughness